Author of This Thread

Snow Removal
    Hobbyist
    Collector
    Joined March 2012
    Michigan
    1,539 Posts

74 Dodge Superior 61 Ambulance

Came across this sweet widebody dodge ambo on Craigslist, figured you guys would like to see it too!

74 Dodge Superior 61 Ambulance

FEEL FREE TO POST ANY AND ALL PICTURES OF WIDEBODY AMBULANCE VANS YOU HAVE!!!
    Last edited by 7d9_z28; October 30th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
    badge22 likes this.
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD: CCSB 8.1/Allison, tuned by Baker Engineering, Thrush weldeds, modded stock airbox, 315 BFGs on H2 wheels, 49" 911EP Millennium, 8'6" Fisher EZ-V, CarPC w/ 8" touchscreen, DDM 5K lows, DDM Switchbacks, amps, sub, tons of other odds and ends.

Always looking for New Technologies lightbars (Trailblazer, Lightstorm, etc) and parts!

Veteran Member

Hobbyist
    Joined May 2010
    Canada
    1,390 Posts
    I've seen the Chevy/GMC versions of the Superior wide body van before, but that is the first Dodge version I've seen.

If the van had a Federal electronic siren, it was most likely a PA15A series 1E or PA20A series 2E. Either siren will operate at 100 watts with the dual CP25 speakers on the roof.
    The siren fanatic.

Veteran Member
    Author of This Thread

Snow Removal
    Hobbyist
    Collector
    Joined March 2012
    Michigan
    1,539 Posts
    Id love to see a chevy or gmc widebody! I am a GM guy but that dodge has some serious potential. I would to leave the body alone, but get some old 15x12 hurricane wheels (think General Lee wheels) and stuff some raised white letter Grand Prix tires on them to fill those wheel wells. I love 70s stuff!

Like a Hippie van. But an ambulance
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD: CCSB 8.1/Allison, tuned by Baker Engineering, Thrush weldeds, modded stock airbox, 315 BFGs on H2 wheels, 49" 911EP Millennium, 8'6" Fisher EZ-V, CarPC w/ 8" touchscreen, DDM 5K lows, DDM Switchbacks, amps, sub, tons of other odds and ends.

Always looking for New Technologies lightbars (Trailblazer, Lightstorm, etc) and parts!

Law Enforcement
    Joined August 2011
    Jonesborough TN
    952 Posts
    Wow, That thing is so ugly it grow's on ya! Would make a pretty cool ride.
    StEaLtH2 likes this.

Administrator

Collector
    Paramedic
    Joined May 2010
    Northwest Ohio
    7,583 Posts
    Great link... appears as if it would tip over in a stiff breeze...
    StEaLtH2 likes this.

Veteran Member
    Author of This Thread

Snow Removal
    Hobbyist
    Collector
    Joined March 2012
    Michigan
    1,539 Posts
    Does anybody have pictures of more? Id really like to see a GM one, but I really like that dodge one too!

Joined March 2011
    Rhode Island
    524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plybeep68 View Post
    Wow, That thing is so ugly it grow's on ya! Would make a pretty cool ride.

Ahhh the good ole days,...

Its aFranken-lance

Veteran Member

Law Enforcement
    Corrections Officer
    Towing
    Joined January 2012
    Sunny Arizona
    1,023 Posts
    Thats a Big Boy! A "Fat boy " Ambulance as it was refered to back in the day! I think they are neat!

Just in case the ad ends here are the pics from the ad and some others I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JennyCop; October 29th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
    Wigwam700 likes this.
    I love Winky Blinkies, especially MARS products!

Veteran Member

Retired
    Communications
    EMT
    Joined June 2010
    Northville NY
    1,072 Posts
    If memory serves, I worked a few calls in this one when I was interning as an AEMT in '79.
    (Guess I just dated myself pretty well, huh?)
    The neighboring squad to the north of us had it. Also a '74 Dodge.
    Wigwam700 and 7d9_z28 like this.

Dispatcher II - Rochester/Monroe County (NY) Emergency Communications (E-9-1-1) March 1976 to October 2003 - Retired and loving it!
    Northampton Ambulance Service

The search function is your friend.

Veteran Member

Vintage Collector
    Retired
    Joined July 2010
    S.W. Ohio USA
    1,479 Posts
    We had one of these. It was called the "pregnant guppy". Actually didn't ride too badly. The pics aren't of ours, but some I found online a long time ago. They were really roomy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    7d9_z28 and Wigwam700 like this.

Premium Member

Fire/Paramedic
    Vintage Collector
    Retired
    Joined June 2010
    Ohio
    3,715 Posts
    Cool pic, back in the late 70s I ran in Lima we had a Dodge van type ambulance there also by Superior. Had 2 Fireballs mounted on the top of the front fenders. That would look good as a Sign with FEVER down the side Thanks Jenny for your pic's too.

Veteran Member
    Author of This Thread

Snow Removal
    Hobbyist
    Collector
    Joined March 2012
    Michigan
    1,539 Posts
    I love that Chevy! Although, it seems like a waste to put two plates between the lights and grille, could have put lights or siren speakers there!

Keep the pictures and stories coming!

Retired
    Paramedic
    Hazmat
    Joined May 2010
    Rescue, VA
    882 Posts
    I think those were made by a company called TEC Coach. Later on they bacame Medtec? One of the neighboring squads had one. I worked a few calls inside one, wasn't too bad. The local squad had 2 Unity RV26 lights on the roof (the ones with the beeg bulb).

Veteran Member

Retired
    Communications
    EMT
    Joined June 2010
    Northville NY
    1,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillyrube View Post
    I think those were made by a company called TEC Coach. Later on they bacame Medtec? One of the neighboring squads had one. I worked a few calls inside one, wasn't too bad. The local squad had 2 Unity RV26 lights on the roof (the ones with the beeg bulb).
    All the ones pictured in this thread so far are Superior Coaches. As best I can remember, Superior was the only builder that tried the wide body route. Comparing the cost of a wide body to a Type III, the III's won hands down, let alone factoring in all the other features available in a III. My home squad back then bought one of the first Type III's in the area in '75. I don't recall the wide bodies being in production for more than a couple of years.
    7d9_z28 likes this.

Dispatcher II - Rochester/Monroe County (NY) Emergency Communications (E-9-1-1) March 1976 to October 2003 - Retired and loving it!
    Northampton Ambulance Service

The search function is your friend.

Veteran Member

Vintage Collector
    Retired
    Joined July 2010
    S.W. Ohio USA
    1,479 Posts
    These are all Superior model 61's.
    7d9_z28 likes this.

Retired
    Paramedic
    Hazmat
    Joined May 2010
    Rescue, VA
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve0625 View Post
    All the ones pictured in this thread so far are Superior Coaches. As best I can remember, Superior was the only builder that tried the wide body route. Comparing the cost of a wide body to a Type III, the III's won hands down, let alone factoring in all the other features available in a III. My home squad back then bought one of the first Type III's in the area in '75. I don't recall the wide bodies being in production for more than a couple of years.
    Ok, thanks!