HAW/LAW placement

nwaman223

Dec 2, 2010
northwest arkansas
I am fixing to put HAW on a 99 montero sport and don't know where to put them

Should I use the backup light tail light or the turn signal part of the light this is

The first time installing these and don't know where in the lens to place them

Thanks for all the advise

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
close to center...near factory bulb it but cant be too close to sides because it will melt the housing. Use in a housing that isn't always on ie: brake or turn signals. DRL bad since theyre always on, tail lights bad because theyre always on at night, etc.

nwaman223

Dec 2, 2010
northwest arkansas
i ended up using the tail light/ brake light part of the housing the turn signal and backup light part was too small to fit both lights i wont be running these untill i get on scene just something to make my car stand out better when setting on the side of the road

jpbaker6

Jul 31, 2010
Bergen County NJ
For the chargers is it better to place it in the high or low beam lights? or maybe the black? I am getting strobesnmore led haw that look like the vertexes. thanks just trying to find the best placement

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
jpbaker6 said:
For the chargers is it better to place it in the high or low beam lights? or maybe the black? I am getting strobesnmore led haw that look like the vertexes. thanks just trying to find the best placement

none. most upfitters shy away from putting them in the headlights due to the amount of work vs the amount of output, and also moisture issues IIRC.

cory y

May 21, 2010
IF you MUST put strobes in the light of Chargers, put them in the low beams...

thats where i put them.. but unless youre putting a pushbumper on or doing something else that requires the removal of the front clip, dont even waste your time

jpbaker6

Jul 31, 2010
Bergen County NJ
so its more the fact of taking off the front clip? I have 36 hr on duty coming up and have to space to work on it at the building. I have also seen it in between the both of them on the black spacing is that not a good place? now with the water, could i just put a seal on the led after its screwed in?

thanks

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
The insert uses the existing reflector to multiply the light flash, making it more effective. That black area doesn't reflect anything, so that would be the worst area of all.

Yes, you can seal them. But, if I remember right, there's moisture problems that plague the assemblies that have been modified.

jpbaker6

Jul 31, 2010
Bergen County NJ
I have heard people have issues that have put in the halo rings or anything that they have baked to loosen the seal and that makes sense. Im not sure why there would be moisture if you cut the insert correct and seal it and that makes sense about the black and it not reflecting so it would be a bad location.

What about putting a set in the fog lights? I would prefer to keep my bulbs since they are always on

cory y

May 21, 2010
the hard to seal come from the fact thqt these are double walled headlights and those always leak. Its almost impossible to re seal it

I've gotten to the point of drilling tiny little drain holes in the bottom of the housings for the water that just randomly appears

Falcon9

May 23, 2010
Manila,Australia
do I risk melting my tail lights if I put two strobes in them? powering them with an isp188 amp.

car its going on is an isuzu dmax which i believe has similar tail lights to the gmc canyon

tail lights are similar to this

awww.worldstyling.com_backend_pimg_p3343f11.gif

otherwise how do i mount it so it doesnt melt the tail light? I'm also planning to put them on the front turn signals and the headlights are these:

aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_1_15_Isuzu_D_Max__first_generation___front___Serdang.jpg

any suggestions? thanks!

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
I'd like to put some HAWs in my headlights but I'm not sure if there's enough clearance in my corners for the bulb. Any suggestions for locations? I would be hesitant to put it in the "main" section of the housing.

Here are a few shots of my lights:

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_20110222_00051.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_20110222_00052jpg.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_20110222_00053jpg.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_20110222_00054jpg.jpg

ai468.photobucket.com_albums_rr41_nifoxke_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_20110222_00055jpg.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
07GD SFD said:
Any pointers?

I'd go with SOS universal undercovers (trying out each different lens) and mount/drill below the side marker bulb, about 1.5-2 inches below said side marker bulb.

Personally, I would not want to bugger around putting HAW strobes in there, as it seems a tad tight, there appears to be a led marker light of sorts near the top (again another concern with strobe light heat build up- possible damage) and finally why use strobes when one can clearly see SOS law's in direct sunlight?

my $0.02 in Canadian dollars. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
Thanks unlisted.

I agree, I think it's a bit tight. Unfortunately funds don't allow for LAWs plus I like the pop of the strobes.

Maybe I'll try to find a way to cram all 6 HAWs into my tail lights. :satan:

Jan 7, 2011
Tampa, Florida
TheGatekeeper said:
I'm wondering... Would it make sense to install the Vertexes in place of the foglight bulbs ? (as we are in the city most of the time, the foglights are hardly ever used)
Since Vertex have a built-in flasher, they could be activated from the foglight switch... Not bad for undercover... :?

The new 2010 and 2011 Chevy trucks are GREAT for that because they have an upper and lower turn signal. I removed the lower turn signal on both sides, tucked the lights behind the housing and placed the Vertex LEDs in their place. When the Vertex's were turned on, they were VERY nice. Strobes worked better, but drew WAY too much heat! Keep in mind the placement of the Vertex's as well. Put the LED's vertical, versus horizontal. You will get better flash that way as well.

I live in the Tampa area and use my "driving" lights ALL the time, so replacing the bulb is out of the question. Is what I did to reduce heat, is drill a small hole on the bottom of the housing and that let the heat escape...albeit it minute, but it did help and DID NOT melt the housings! Something to think about!

Fenn

May 28, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
PursuitElectronics said:
The new 2010 and 2011 Chevy trucks are GREAT for that because they have an upper and lower turn signal. I removed the lower turn signal on both sides, tucked the lights behind the housing and placed the Vertex LEDs in their place. When the Vertex's were turned on, they were VERY nice. Strobes worked better, but drew WAY too much heat! Keep in mind the placement of the Vertex's as well. Put the LED's vertical, versus horizontal. You will get better flash that way as well.

I live in the Tampa area and use my "driving" lights ALL the time, so replacing the bulb is out of the question. Is what I did to reduce heat, is drill a small hole on the bottom of the housing and that let the heat escape...albeit it minute, but it did help and DID NOT melt the housings! Something to think about!

any chance you have some pictures?

DarkHelmet

Jul 21, 2011
Boise, ID
Reposting from the old board.

Grommet mount strobe tube HAW in front turn signal reflector. Gives great throw to the side for intersection warning. Can be drilled without having to remove the light housing from the vehicle. Use a vacuum to suck out any shavings but be careful not to push out the diffuser in the lens if you stick anything inside the hole to try and remove shavings. I sealed mine with clear silicone around the grommet and have had zero moisture problems even after DEEP water crossings, winter snow, etc.

CSP660 power supply with Sirennet tubes and cables controlled by Whelen Cencom Gold

ai8.photobucket.com_albums_a18_resqman2398_DSC_0465.jpg

ai8.photobucket.com_albums_a18_resqman2398_DSC_0464.jpg

ai8.photobucket.com_albums_a18_resqman2398_DSC_0131_1.jpg

- DH

noloflash

Jul 23, 2011
NY
DarkHelmet said:
Reposting from the old board.

Grommet mount strobe tube HAW in front turn signal reflector. Gives great throw to the side for intersection warning. Can be drilled without having to remove the light housing from the vehicle. Use a vacuum to suck out any shavings but be careful not to push out the diffuser in the lens if you stick anything inside the hole to try and remove shavings. I sealed mine with clear silicone around the grommet and have had zero moisture problems even after DEEP water crossings, winter snow, etc.

CSP660 power supply with Sirennet tubes and cables controlled by Whelen Cencom Gold

- DH

Hi DH,

Thanx, from the picture i cant tell where or what direction the headlight is in the picture??

Nolo

ff17

Mar 31, 2011
Wisconsin
I will be putting some fienix fairy law's in my buddy's 08 or 09 Dodge 3500. My questions to all you guys on here is has anyone done this? Placement for the law's in the headlights?

My buddy wants them in the headlights and tail lights. The tail lights don't look like a problem cause they will be going in the back up light area.

Any help on this would be great! Thanks in advance fellas!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
ff17 said:
I will be putting some fienix fairy law's in my buddy's 08 or 09 Dodge 3500. My questions to all you guys on here is has anyone done this? Placement for the law's in the headlights?
My buddy wants them in the headlights and tail lights. The tail lights don't look like a problem cause they will be going in the back up light area.

Any help on this would be great! Thanks in advance fellas!

personally I'd install them in the side marker area, not the actual headlight reflector. Less chance of them being washed out by the headlights.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
Anyone have ideas for HAW strobe tube placement in the headlight housings on a 2004 Ford F150? I just got mine, its not new, but it's new to me. I don't want to put the strobes in the driving/fog lights, as they are too low to the ground, but want something that will give good corner lighting and some forward.

Thanks for any pics or ideas......

alxjmrk

May 25, 2010
NC, USA
Generation 4 Taurus.... I have seen a few departments put the strobe tubes in the bottom of the HL. This confused me because they would have to drill a hole in the fiberglass housing underneath the headlight. The headlights are double walled , and this is making a shitty placement for strobes.

Is this the best placement I can get? The strobe is already pushed down on by the hood, so i cant put it any further up to be directly above the HL.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_Snapbucket_D2314636.jpgai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_c4d6ffcb.jpgai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_Snapbucket_FCAF8ADF.jpgai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_1b284723.jpg

Thanks!

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
alxjmrk said:
Generation 4 Taurus.... I have seen a few departments put the strobe tubes in the bottom of the HL. This confused me because they would have to drill a hole in the fiberglass housing underneath the headlight. The headlights are double walled , and this is making a shitty placement for strobes.

Is this the best placement I can get? The strobe is already pushed down on by the hood, so i cant put it any further up to be directly above the HL.

ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_Snapbucket_D2314636.jpgai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_c4d6ffcb.jpgai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_Snapbucket_FCAF8ADF.jpgai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb255_dj_acoustica_1b284723.jpg

Thanks!

i personally like to mount the strobes on the bottom when i can near the back of the reflector. one reson is that water is less likely to get in the housing

alxjmrk

May 25, 2010
NC, USA
carguy411 said:
i personally like to mount the strobes on the bottom when i can near the back of the reflector. one reson is that water is less likely to get in the housing

I'd like to but I just need to decide if I want to drill holes in the fiberglass under the headlight.

Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey USA
I have seen some people put HAW strobes in the 3rd brake/ cargo lights on there pickups. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on doing this. I know HAW strobes produce a lot of heat and that space is pretty small so I would be concerned about melting the cover. I know LED HAWS would be better however I have a Whelen 6/90 power supply and only have 4 strobes running right now. Truck is a 2003 ram 3500. Just wanna see if anyone has any advise or first hand experience with this.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
74FirefighterEMT said:
I have seen some people put HAW strobes in the 3rd brake/ cargo lights on there pickups. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on doing this. I know HAW strobes produce a lot of heat and that space is pretty small so I would be concerned about melting the cover. I know LED HAWS would be better however I have a Whelen 6/90 power supply and only have 4 strobes running right now. Truck is a 2003 ram 3500. Just wanna see if anyone has any advise or first hand experience with this.

It'd be a no go here. You're not supposed to mess witht he 3rd brake light in Arkansas.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Picked up a set of NIB red code 3 LAWs that are built for a cvpi. Wasn't a deal I was going to pass up. I know they're designed for a cvpi, but I was gonna try to use them on my Charger. If I can't get them in the tail lights, I was going to look at putting them on the back of the B pillar or license plate. I read earlier here, something about putting the same color led as the light that it's going in. Did I read that right? put a red LED behind a red brake light filter? And out of curiosity, why?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
dusty said:
Picked up a set of NIB red code 3 LAWs that are built for a cvpi. Wasn't a deal I was going to pass up. I know they're designed for a cvpi, but I was gonna try to use them on my Charger. If I can't get them in the tail lights, I was going to look at putting them on the back of the B pillar or license plate. I read earlier here, something about putting the same color led as the light that it's going in. Did I read that right? put a red LED behind a red brake light filter? And out of curiosity, why?

This thread is half trashed, but give it a full read over- your answers are contained in there.

Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey USA
Dusty I wasn't talking about the red part in the third brake light I was talking about the clear cargo light on either side of the brake light. Sorry for any confusion I should have been more clear. Would still like to hear some info on this though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.