Federal Q siren mode Q2B "S"

Leslie

Nov 19, 2011
usa/southeast
I recently purchased an older Federal Q siren. The I.D. Plate on the motor says "Q2BS". Does anyone know what the "S" means? Thanks

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Leslie said:
I recently purchased an older Federal Q siren. The I.D. Plate on the motor says "Q2BS". Does anyone know what the "S" means? Thanks

That's clearly a knock off.. it even says it's BS right on the label :cool:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Leslie said:
John,
What is your definition of a knockoff?

I was making a joke that it said BS.. as in bullsh*t.. as in the item wasn't genuine. Didn't make it clear I was kidding... my bad

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
These come up for sale occasionally, I doubt they are fake. I have three generations of federal literature and none list it but that means little. I had always assumed it meant stainless or surface but I have nothing to back that. The B means brake obviously....

Currently, they only show

Q2B-P Q-Siren with pedestal mount and housing

Q2B-NN Q-Siren without pedestal mount or housing

(designed for recess mounting)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I think you may get more help in the vintage section, so I moved the thread and left a redirect link.

Also user Henry455 is a great resource on mechanical sirens.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
I have no idea what the S stands for. I have searched all my documentation and have found nothing in regards to an S in the model number. Maybe Joe Dorgan or Kevin O'connell owner of B&M sirens would know. The OP did state that this was found on the motor itself which is also strange it being a Q2B and not a Q1B unless he is calling the rear cover the motor.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
I called Federal Signal and they are dumber than owl crap.

It took 3 different people to tell me they had no idea what the ( S ) stood for.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Henry455 said:
I have no idea what the S stands for. I have searched all my documentation and have found nothing in regards to an S in the model number. Maybe Joe Dorgan or Kevin O'connell owner of B&M sirens would know. The OP did state that this was found on the motor itself which is also strange it being a Q2B and not a Q1B unless he is calling the rear cover the motor.

If it's anything like the other one in known existence, then perhaps it has no rear cover:

awww_professionalcarsociety_org_forums_attachment_php_fc40a90aa3b7e5baee4843a6c0427f53._.jpg

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
This is a wild guess but maybe 50theman is on to something, it appears it could possibly be a recess mounted Q2 as was done on some Seagraves

fire-engine-heads-home1.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Now that you mention it..... The only other one I knew of for sale was on ebay a year ago and it was in a lot off a seagrave. It too had no rear cover and a pedestal mount. I bet "S" did mean Seagrave... It would be a unique combo of chromed front and unfinished rear. The mullet of sirens.

Here is some nice eye candy of all the cool concealed / pedestal mount stuff Seagrave mounted like this.

eLightbars Hunger Force, onward!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I saw one on a China web site in 2007, but they used an actual stolen Q pic... so I doubt it really looked like that.

Leslie

Nov 19, 2011
usa/southeast
The one with the short wire Q2B, serial# 2D25H66 was on a 72 Howe pumper/ Mack Truck. It has no I.D. Tag on the motor.

The one with the long wire, Q2B, serial# 2D25F75 Unknown pumper/tanker, etc. The I.D. Tag on the motor is pictured in the earlier post "Q2BS" serial#2D26E6

02.JPG

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Ok boys and girls, I have spoken to a good friend of mine on this matter. I figured he may know for the following reasons. He's a Retired Henrico Fire Captain of Logistics and (Lights and Siren Guru) and also owns a 1940's or 50's Seagrave Tiller with the noise Q2B like the early photos.

He tells me that the S stands for Surface Mount. Just by speaking to him on the phone, he was able to identify this siren as a Federal Q2B without the bullet on the back, but with the regular pedestal mount on the bottom and possibly a tag on the motor. He claims that this siren is probably from the 1960' or 70's because early one had no tag and the model number was stamped on to the motor housing itself.

He claims that these used to be in 1970's era Federal Signal Catalogs. But he doesn't have any of those catalogs, trust me I asked.... :sadcry:

I hope this helps,

5-0

Leslie

Nov 19, 2011
usa/southeast
50theman said:
Ok boys and girls, I have spoken to a good friend of mine on this matter. I figured he may know for the following reasons. He's a Retired Henrico Fire Captain of Logistics and (Lights and Siren Guru) and also owns a 1940's or 50's Seagrave Tiller with the noise Q2B like the early photos.

He tells me that the S stands for Surface Mount. Just by speaking to him on the phone, he was able to identify this siren as a Federal Q2B without the bullet on the back, but with the regular pedestal mount on the bottom and possibly a tag on the motor. He claims that this siren is probably from the 1960' or 70's because early one had no tag and the model number was stamped on to the motor housing itself.

He claims that these used to be in 1970's era Federal Signal Catalogs. But he doesn't have any of those catalogs, trust me I asked.... :sadcry:

I hope this helps,

5-0

5-0

Thanks

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
50theman said:

He tells me that the S stands for Surface Mount.

5-0

JohnMarcson said:
These come up for sale occasionally, I doubt they are fake. I have three generations of federal literature and none list it but that means little. I had always assumed it meant stainless or surface but I have nothing to back that.
I should have stuck with my theory....

Later.....

JohnMarcson said:
Now that you mention it..... The only other one I knew of for sale was on ebay a year ago and it was in a lot off a seagrave. It too had no rear cover and a pedestal mount. I bet "S" did mean Seagrave... It would be a unique combo of chromed front and unfinished rear. The mullet of sirens.

So, I guess Seagrave just used these....they weren't responsible for the name.

Thanks for the info 50theman

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Henry455 said:
This is a wild guess but maybe 50theman is on to something, it appears it could possibly be a recess mounted Q2 as was done on some Seagraves

When I see those 1950s open cab Seagraves I think of Federal C series sirens. The city FD where I live used to have a 1953 Bickle-Seagrave pumper with a C series siren and a Dietz 711 beacon (which was added later).

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I disagree with the "S" standing for surface mount. I couldn't tell by the picture, but when Federal used the "S" on their other motor sirens, the "S" stood for special small motor. I had a 28S, and it had a very small motor....small enough that it used a saddle mount bracket, much like the B&M sirens. They wouldn't put an "S" just for a surface mount, because all of them were surface mounts except for the occasional flush mount models for fire trucks.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Skip Goulet said:
I disagree with the "S" standing for surface mount. I couldn't tell by the picture, but when Federal used the "S" on their other motor sirens, the "S" stood for special small motor. I had a 28S, and it had a very small motor....small enough that it used a saddle mount bracket, much like the B&M sirens. They wouldn't put an "S" just for a surface mount, because all of them were surface mounts except for the occasional flush mount models for fire trucks.

You are probably right. They called that a pedestal mount, not surface. the next best guesses are Special or Small.....

Q2B 012PN was how it was ordered in the 1980s, before that the model numbers are much simpler. It would make sense to add an a letter when the standard models were deviated from. At this point my money is back on "special"

FederalB.jpg

fedsigcat 052.jpg

fedsigcat 052a.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:
You are probably right. They called that a pedestal mount, not surface. the next best guesses are Special or Small.....

Q2B 012PN was how it was ordered in the 1980s, before that the model numbers are much simpler. It would make sense to add an a letter when the standard models were deviated from. At this point my money is back on "special"

Wow! First time I've seen an EG listed for that much! I've never seen them listed for more than the $50 they sold for for many years. Explains why I see some of them priced so high on sleeze-bay.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Skip Goulet said:
Explains why I see some of them priced so high on sleeze-bay.

No, they are priced high on ebay because people will over pay some vintage items on ebay. The actual rarity of an item seldom has much to do with he price on ebay.

But yeah, special options on a mechanical siren is somewhat rare...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.