Not using spine boards anymore?

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Any EMS or Fire Department members on here, I would like to know if your area does this.

Recently in a class I was talking with a FF/EMT from the next county down and he was telling me that in that county their EMS service (hospital based) does not use spine boards anymore.

From what he said, the Fire Departments are still allowed to use them to put patients on but once EMS arrived on scene they would just leave the collar on them and slide them from the spine board over to stretcher.

Apparently the reasoning behind this is because the patient will come in from the ambulance and spend too much time laying on the board in the ER before they are transferred to a room and bed and that it causes more harm than good.

Is there anyone else that follows this practice?

From what I understand, this isn't just going to be 1 county thing. Apparently it is going to be eventually put into practice in a few different counties.

I don't personally agree with it, I would rather use the spine board to prevent injuries from getting worse. Especially if you have to carry a patient to the stretcher or other places.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
At least in Maryland, it depends on the circumstance. Frequently a LBB does more harm than good is what the research has shown. Maryland updated their EMS protocols for spinal immobilization in 2015. 2016's revision is below.

Seth

Attachments

• Protocols-2016-FULL-V3Web.pdf_extract.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 5

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Same in Michigan. The logic is spine boards are not shaped like people, so they don't "immobilize" as well as we think. Thus, the risk does not yield an adequate benefit in most cases. Still, a very hard concept to adapt to for those of us who have been longboarding since the 80s.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Here in CT we have selective spinal immobilization. Have had it for almost 2 years now. Only use LBB to assist in moving a patient from where they are to the stretcher.
Collar if they have C-Spine pain or deficits. We can also clear C-Spine and not use a collar if criteria is met.
Pretty nice practice if followed correctly.
Numerous studies have shown LBB have long lasting effects especially on elderly patients.

ems60

May 22, 2010
USA / MA/ Cape Cod
Here in CT we have selective spinal immobilization. Have had it for almost 2 years now. Only use LBB to assist in moving a patient from where they are to the stretcher.
Collar if they have C-Spine pain or deficits. We can also clear C-Spine and not use a collar if criteria is met.
Pretty nice practice if followed correctly.
Numerous studies have shown LBB have long lasting effects especially on elderly patients.
Doing the same in Mass.

NY743EM

Dec 3, 2015
NY
NY had updated protocols last year. The times when an EMT or responding LEO boards a patient and it isn't 110℅ necessary, the hospital has a few choice words with us.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been away. I can see the reasoning behind not using it for a long period of time.

I guess it's just hard for me to break away from it since it's been drilled in my head for so long.

Like I said before, our fire departments and EMS agency in our county is still using them but may eventually move away. I'm not sure what their plans are.

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
Kentucky is getting away from "frequent" use of spine boards. They're mostly reserved for rescue and patient movement/transfer. We've also started going away from rigid c-collars- they've gone back to the foam variety.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.