How to make all LEDs flash on a slim lighter

Apr 13, 2012
Texas, USA
Does anyone here know how to repair a Whelen slimlighter? I purchased it used from a vendor on this site as is condition and the vendor said it was working when he shipped it. When I got it today I put power to it and only two of the six blue LEDs will flash. All six red LEDs flash just fine. So do any of you have any advice on how to open this thing up and make a repair to it? Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-20-12-09-11.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-20-12-09-11.png
    569.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2016-08-20-12-09-09.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-20-12-09-09.png
    654.9 KB · Views: 7

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Send it to Wilson here on ELB.

Wilsonbr90 I believe is his username. Great guy to work with. Reasonably priced and good craftsmanship.

Good luck!
Seth

Reactions: wilsonbr90

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I had this happen to a Slimlighter once. If your problem is like mine, then there is likely a loose or broken connection between the LED card and the driver board.

Take off the snap-in bracket from the blue end of the Slimlighter. Remove the lens and the optic. Lift up the innards and pull them out. You only have a few inches of wire to work with, and so you may be happier removing the innards from the red side in the same way. Look for the four-pin connector with two rows of two pins each, arranged in a square, near one of the corners of the blue LED card. The pins from the driver board should extend through the square connector.

One of the four solder joints for the connector has probably broken. It's a relatively small surface, and the repair would probably best be done with a hot air rework station. If you're very careful, then you can probably make the repair with a soldering iron. I was successful, anyhow.

Apr 13, 2012
Texas, USA
I appreciate you taking the time to send me this information. I will take the light apart and see what I can see. I do not know what a hot air rework station is. But I do know what a soldering iron is. After I look at it I will see if the repair matches what you're describing here. Thanks again brother appreciate y'all.

Apr 13, 2012
Texas, USA
Well I was able to open up the line and sure enough the solder connections between the circuit board and four of the actual LEDs themselves have broken. It appears that rough handling by the delivery service causing breakage. So tomorrow I'm going to look and see if there's anybody at work that is good with electronics and has a soldering iron. I'm going to check and see if any of the technicians at work would be willing to put a little bit of solder on there and get this thing working again if they're not willing to do it and there's an electronics repair store down the street from where I live I'll have to run by there and ask them if they want to do it. So appreciate your input and appreciate all the advice. It was spot-on. I'll keep you all posted as to how it turns out and here are some photos of the breakage between the LED heads to the circuit board.

Attachments

• 20160902_034315.jpg
    20160902_034315.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20160902_034300.jpg
    20160902_034300.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20160902_034240.jpg
    20160902_034240.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160902_034125.jpg
    20160902_034125.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 23
Apr 13, 2012
Texas, USA
One thing I forgot to mention was that I put power to the light and was able to use a paperclip to make connections between the circuit board and the LEDs and therefore confirm that as long as power is Flowing to the LEDs they are going to work properly. Sure wish it this particular unit had been toughened up a little bit in the factory but I guess all slim lighters are going to be built with this level of delicacy.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It appears that rough handling by the delivery service causing breakage.

Rough handling by the delivery service did not cause what is shown in your pictures there. Those LEDs appear have been removed and reattached by someone who's not terribly deft with his soldering iron.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.