Mars RB, 6 volt, (2 bulbs), glass dome, "The Light From Mars"

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
This is a Mars RB in excellent condition ( Ser# 3442). Its 6 volt with a red glass dome. The black/gold name badge is excellent, as is the dome. The chrome is very good. There were a few small dings in the metal but I was able to remove them pretty well. I was told it was on an old fire truck in State College, PA. When I got it both 6 volt bulbs were blown, but the motor was OK. Im sure someone tried to run it off 12 volt power before realizing it was a 6 volt light. I ordered new bulbs for it and they should be in later this week. It still has the original rubber base gasket ( no cracks or tears) from what I can tell.100_5442.JPG 100_5445.JPG 100_5443.JPG

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
That thing is pristine! That old fire truck must have only been driven by a little old volunteer to an annual fundraiser in perfect weather. You scored on that one. :)

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Close....same style, same red dome,but the Mayberry light was an RB 363 (3 bulbs), and 12 volt. I estimate this light would of been from the 50's for sure. The very early Mars lights used the black/gold badges. Later they went to red/silver.
Being an avid watcher of ol' Andy, I don't ever remember his beacon being a 3-bulb. Ever.

Reactions: SBFD-E-9

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
the Mayberry light was an RB 363 (3 bulbs), and 12 volt.

I was going to say Barney Fife's car, but you beat me to it.

Being an avid watcher of ol' Andy, I don't ever remember his beacon being a 3-bulb. Ever.

Only because we love a mystery. You can see the Mayberry light here at two times in the video. First at 00:15 and then again at 3:00 (which is an accident because he turns the light off when he gets out, it running again when he gets back in). I don't know.. but it looks like a dual to me. But I have heard the RB 363 claim before.

Reactions: jph2

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
There is another view here starting at 13:25. Although the official sites all say RB 363, this is a dual bulb light no question after this.

Last edited:
Reactions: jph2

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
You guys have brought up some interesting facts about the Mayberry car. Like you, Ive always heard that it was an RB 363. Even the late great John Dorgan indicated that the Andy light was a Mars RB 363. Maybe not after all. Thanks for the videos.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
894 after seeing the videos posted I stand corrected. I have always heard that it was an RB 363 in the past by so called experts. The posted videos debunk that claim. Since the cars changed every new season, possibly the lights also changed over time.

Reactions: dmathieu

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Being weened on that series, I never saw a 3-beam Mars beacon on ANY of the squads over the years, even in the after-series, in living color! I also never heard any of the debates or claims about the "363" version you mentioned so I can't side either way on that issue, sorry. I'm simply going on what I've seen over the years. I HAVE always wondered though, how even with the close-ups in several other episodes, how the flash from the #4416's never dominated the screen shot even so much as the beacon's bulbs appearing to be "off" in one episode, even though the beacon was spinning. I'm guessing because of the photometrics of the bulbs would mess with the view or wash-out the object of the scene with their intensity. Obviously, the object of that particular scene, or any of them for that matter, wasn't the beacon...:( As a kid, it was to me!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I HAVE always wondered though, how even with the close-ups in several other episodes, how the flash from the #4416's never dominated the screen shot even so much as the beacon's bulbs appearing to be "off" in one episode, even though the beacon was spinning.

They often change the bulbs to lower wattage for use in movies. Just like removing windshields and rear view mirrors for better shots. These were likely not 4416's as they are not bright at all even when shining directly at the camera.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Here is a much later episode, 1967, as it has Howard Sprague in it and is in color. Season 8, episode 14. You have to go to 13:50 for a short clip and closeup of the light. Also a two bulb light.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I think the misinformation over the years may of come from sites like this one. This is one of the Andy Griffith TV Show fan sites. Just a lot of misinformation mushrooming. It appears even John Dorgan was incorrect:
awww.imayberry.com_tagsrwc_wbmutbb_dc269_squadcar_rb363t.jpg
RB-363
"The Mayberry Light"

We figure the top light on the squad car is a MARS light. Not sure of the model number. DIETZ makes a similar light though. Below is information from other folks that have been looking into this.

(Note from Replica Owner)
"I have spoken with John Dorgan (expert on old sirens and beacons), and learned that the correct light for the replica cars is a Mars brand SW-2 "skybolt". These lights are still available today. Anyone interested should contact John at "sirenmana1@gci-net.com". He can also be found at sites like "copcars.com". Just thought it might make the next replica builder a little easier. Keep up the good work. Rick."

(Note from Replia Owner)
I emailed you with info on the correct light for the squad cars. It is the Mars RB-363 and not an SW-2 look up the sites and you can see for yourself (on John Dorgans website) that an SW-2 is not the right one. Then look up http://members.aol.com/richpl/equip/lightsms.htm where you can see both lights together and plainly see the RB-363 is the correct one for "Mayberry. So far I can't find a mars RB-363 ( they are as scarce as hens teeth). Phil Fox

(Note from John Dorgan)
I don't know how many queries you get about the beacons on the various squad cars used on the series, but I get quite a few. As you are probably aware, there were several different ones used, from the early Federal model 17s through the Sireno Beacons to the Dietz four bulb unit. At present, I have a good supply of the earliest ones used (Federal moidel 17s as seen on your your squad car replicas page) on the early sixties vehicles These are all restored and come with NEW lenses and rechromed bases. This can be seen on my web site athttp://sirenman.com/ If any of your members are interested, the price is $145. with NEW dome plus $8. for a base gasket. Shipping and insurance are additional. John Dorgan

Clubs

POLICE CAR OWNERS OF AMERICA (P.C.O.O.A.)
They have many chapters across America, as well as chapters in Canada and Europe. They publish a quarterly newsletter, have a national convention each summer, and participate in many police related events around the country each year. Annual dues are $25.00 in the U.S. They can be contacted at:

The Police Car Owners of America

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I have a guy who owns an RB light with a Skybolt dome. In fact its the one in my previous Youtube video (the one with the external mounted toggle switch). As we know the Skybolts have the internal ribs to accept the filters. He shows this pic as proof. There are what appear to be ridges or lines running vertically around the dome. Any thoughts or opinions on this claim????s-l1600.jpg

The radius of the dome top in the "Gazette" is larger than that of the skybolt dome. The "ridges" in the newspaper photo are light reflections from the kleig lights. I recall one episode (late season show--in color) where a police car could be seen through the open door on the street in front of the jail...it had a 17 on the roof (red dome) with a blue domed Mod 11 VisiBar gutter mount. The chrome base and retention rings on both lights were covered in black gaffers tape to reduce glare. Another trick was to spray hair spray on chrome or polished metal to reduce glare.

Reactions: kerry4951

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
This is season 6, episode 6, in color now. Still have the same light two bulb light.

Starts at 10:00 Shows again at 13:42, Close up at 16:00

Season 8, the final season, episode 8. Same light at 13:50

Season 8, episode 10, 12:30

Here is the Blue Model 17 at 20:10
Season 8, episode 11. It's on the state troopers car though

Season 8, Episode 14 at the beginning. 13:52. 2 bulb Mars

Season 8, episode 27, is the last episode I can find the car in. Shows it pretty clear at 8:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbyJaKL9NqI&list=PLgG5mZcEBaJeEVM5y7YarohH-i4uPd0pw&index=27

I don't know about you guys, but I'm convinced.

Last edited:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Whenever I watched that show I thought it was funny when Andy said Aint Bee instead of Aunt Bee. :D

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
You would think somewhere there would be a restored Mayberry police car with the correct Mars RB light on it. I have yet to ever see one that has the correct light. Since Im into old restored police cars, I learned over the years that the two most cloned or copied police cars are the Adam-12 LAPD car and the Mayberry car. Ive seen a few Adam 12 cars that have been done correctly down to the finest detail. I like that because Im a stickler for accuracy. I cant say the same thing for the Mayberry clones. They seem to all run out and buy a Fed 17, a Fed 14, Dietz 7-40, or something else. Atleast go with a Do-Ray 4002 and try to get close for gosh sakes.

Reactions: dmathieu

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Ive looked at dozens and dozens of restored "so called Mayberry cars", and I found one owned by a guy who I actually sold one of my vintage police radar units too awhile back. He does have what he refers to as a Mars RB 262 on his car. (I will also add that out of all the other dozens of Mayberry cars that I viewed, none of them even come close to having the proper light). Since the Mars 363 is their 3 bulb light, the 262 would of been the 2 bulb, 12 volt light. The Mars that I own is stamped just....RB. My guess is that was the first series 6 volt light. Later when they changed to 12 volt the model changed to RB 262(2 bulb) and RB 363 (3 bulb). Photo credit goes to Mark Butterfield............
13442375_1128768060514982_3374710739378468888_n.jpg

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
This is season 6, episode 6, in color now. Still have the same light two bulb light.

Starts at 10:00 Shows again at 13:42, Close up at 16:00

Season 8, the final season, episode 8. Same light at 13:50

Season 8, episode 10, 12:30

Here is the Blue Model 17 at 20:10
Season 8, episode 11. It's on the state troopers car though

Season 8, Episode 14 at the beginning. 13:52. 2 bulb Mars

Season 8, episode 27, is the last episode I can find the car in. Shows it pretty clear at 8:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbyJaKL9NqI&list=PLgG5mZcEBaJeEVM5y7YarohH-i4uPd0pw&index=27

I don't know about you guys, but I'm convinced.

I love mysteries! I, too, was misled believing it was a 363 all along, but the video proof is seemingly indisputable. HOWEVER, my feeble memory recalls an episode where the car comes into the scene with siren screaming and light blazing, and the flash pattern seemed significantly faster than a two bulb unit. I have 7 RB's of various models (of which three are 363's) and they do spin noticeably faster than their two bulb brethren (additional flash notwithstanding). Probably just an optical illusion and well before I became an RB expert--NOT:rolleyes::D!

Last edited:

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
What surprises me is how long this Mayberry mystery went on and no one ever taking the time to prove or disprove it.
Aurora that has to be a record on the most RBs owned by anyone!!!!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
HOWEVER, my feeble memory recalls an episode where the car comes into the scene with siren screaming and light blazing, and the flash pattern seemed significantly faster than a two bulb unit.

If you know any more about the theme of the show I can find it. Here is one for you guys. The last Mayberry car in Return to Mayberry. They upgraded to a Twinsonic.

Return to Mayberry copy.jpg

Reactions: SBFD-E-9

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
the car comes into the scene with siren screaming and light blazing, and the flash pattern seemed significantly faster than a two bulb unit.

This is the only one I could think of that might be what you mean. The armored car chase. Start watching at 20:00

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
This is the only one I could think of that might be what you mean. The armored car chase. Start watching at 20:00

Close, but from what I recall when I waxed sentimental and watched a rerun after collecting a few of these, it was a color episode with the car descending on some ne'er do wells holed up in a farmhouse (a recurring theme). Again, probably my imagination playing tricks on me... Thanks though!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfgl17

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.