Your favourite 'weird' vehicles, some real, some "photoshops"

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I'd love ripping it thru some woods or dunes. Anyone know who's it is? Gas job? How u sposed to use that go light? Does the cage swivel too? Lol

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
They have wire caging around just about everything except the wheels. When they come back from lunch, the thing will be up on blocks and the tires and rims gone.
And the mirrors.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Troy gets a lot of use out of their publicity car; never thought of it for this thread, but it obviously fits. I also gotta say, Fireballs (or similar teardrops) are cool on motorcycles, if you ask me. And, I really appreciate JazzDad finding a vehicle that the Tomar Heliobe bar doesn't look hideous on. It actually looks pretty good on that Sheriff's buggy.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
For incidents on a camping trip?MD.jpg

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I totally woulda used that for my trip from IL to ID last week.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
thats not an RV

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'd make it work, lol.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Last edited:

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
OK, here's one from my childhood from the early 90's.

Andy the Ambulance:

Andy the Ambulance.jpg

Here's his ecologically-minded rodent cousin, Rex the Recycling Raccoon:Rex the Recycling Raccoon.jpg

Finally, the source of many a nightmare for kids growing up in Toronto, Blinky the Safety Car. He talked and winked. There were a few incarnations over the years. Yes, what was then called Metropolitan Toronto Police had schoolbus yellow cruisers until the mid 80s. The later incarnations of Blinky were more elaborate and featured one of my favourite lightbars, the Dominion Auto Bar:

Blinky the Safety Car.jpg Blinky the Safety Car 2.jpg Blinky the Safety Car 3.jpg Blinky the Safety Car 4.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Finally, the source of many a nightmare for kids growing up in Toronto, Blinky the Safety Car. He talked and winked. There were a few incarnations over the years. Yes, what was then called Metropolitan Toronto Police had schoolbus yellow cruisers until the mid 80s. The later incarnations of Blinky were more elaborate and featured one of my favourite lightbars, the Dominion Auto Bar:

View attachment 207846 View attachment 207847 View attachment 207848 View attachment 207849
F*** blinky. That thing was weird... more so when it looked right at you and spoke to you.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
F*** blinky. That thing was weird... more so when it looked right at you and spoke to you.

One of the many reasons I'm glad I never grew up in Toronto. Even now, it looks creepy as hell, especially the early version. It has soulless leering eyes.

Andy the Ambulance around here was more of a pain in the ass than anything. He'd practically ram into kids and rush full speed into groups of kids and start speaking. You could tell that the Paramedics controlling it were having a blast with it.

I'd only ever ask him to turn on his lights/siren. I remember once leaving Andy to his antics and looking at one of the new ambulances. I remember a bored-looking Paramedic Supervisor sitting in the back of one with a big radio control console and a headset microphone. I remember asking him to turn on the new ambulance's siren and if he was the one controlling Andy the Ambulance. Mind you, I'm about 6 or 7 at the time. He was caught off guard and says that he was "Andy's helper". I asked him to tell Andy to turn his lights/siren on. He tells me that he will, but that he has to help Andy now. Meanwhile, as this is happening, he totally stopped controlling Andy. You could hear kids asking Andy if he was OK and why did he stop moving and talking :D . LOL even Andy's eye's were slits :D . He looked VSA. Then as I left, I could see Andy light up and hear his little siren turn on and tell the kids that he "Got a little sleepy."

LOL old-school Paramedics were and are awesome.

Reactions: JazzDad

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Those poor cruisers......:eek:

Reactions: Doyle257

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Those poor cruisers......:eek:

I know. It breaks my heart seeing a Dominion Auto Bar on the vehicle equivalent of a creepy old man. Then again, it could have its uses patrolling high-crime areas. It could drive by groups of people, lock its eyes onto them and say: "I'm watching you. Blinky sees everything." They'd be deterred from crime out of the sheer terror of having Blinky's gaze cut through them. It'd haunt their nightmares and give a new meaning to "scared straight". Tactical units could also use them for riot dispersal. Again, it'd inflict such terror in rioters that they'd disperse.

Also, just looking at Blinky's flared nostrils makes me suspect that he has a cocaine problem.

Last edited:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i have found the "bad boy" theme being emitted from my storm pro deters crime...... LOL

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
i have found the "bad boy" theme being emitted from my storm pro deters crime...... LOL

That's hilarious! I don't know how/why it would work, but that's awesome. What's their reaction to the Ecto 1 tone from the Storm Pro? I'd assume that only paranormal crime would be deterred.

If the the Bad Boys song deters criminals, what would deter nutbar "activists" like the ones at the Toronto G20 summit?

But it's no so much what Blinky would be saying that would deter crime, it's his cold, piercing gaze. Even the most hardened criminals would feel Blinky's stare cut through them and tear their souls to shreds. Blinky was Metro Toronto Police's experimental trial of the "Crime Control Through Recurring Nightmares Program". Ask any kid growing up in Toronto in the 80s and they'll tell you how effective it was.

Reactions: Doyle257

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the other night there were some people doing suspicious activites on the square in our town near the vietnam veterans memorial... i saw what they were doing and hit the "bad boys what you want what you gonna do" and they all took off running...

did the same thing a few months back when someone didnt want to go for a green light...

people dont really look at he ecto tone... only "purists" recognize it. might use it during the christmas parade this year

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
That's outstanding that you gave those pinheads hanging around the memorial a good scare and dispersed them. That wins points in my book.

As someone who served his country, the moment I see anyone doing anything suspicious near any sort of veterans' or war memorial, I'm calling it in and confronting the punks, if need be. If it's drunk teenagers acting like jackasses and disrespecting the memorials, I get especially peeved. If they dare ask me certain questions that you never ask anyone who's served, I have to make a conscious effort to keep from belting them. A number of the guys from the OPP detachment here have served and they take a very dim view of punks messing around vet or war memorials and unless there are priority calls, they arrive surprisingly quickly.

Those are the situations where I wish that I could blast the Whelen Manual Sim. Mechanical Stop tone. The city police used to use it as their manual and let me tell you, it got troublemakers' attention more than any other manual tone.

Just to prevent a thread hijack, here's some late 80's-early 90s awesomeness by some Ontario Paramedics:

Snow Ambulance.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
<------ veteran..

head of ems ops... "who bought a new rig?"

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
<------ veteran..

head of ems ops... "who bought a new rig?"

Lol, little did the head of EMS Ops know, that rig was bought from the lowest bidder. "Sure, it'll run great in the snow, but we make no guarantees how it'll perform when Spring rolls around." "It also has the best fuel economy out of any model on the market and its air conditioning is second to none."

I give those Paramedics a ton of credit for making a rig out of snow. Shows the pride they took/take in being Paramedics and how Paramedics have always had a really fun and light-hearted side to them. The markings on Ontario ambulances are more localized now and far more complex. If someone ever makes a snow rig from this region's EMS service, I'll buy them a case of whatever they drink :D .

Jarred, it's always good to run into another man that wore green, or my case, relish. Look up CADPAT and you'll see what I mean ;) . Which Armed Service did you serve in? I was in the Canadian Army.

Last edited:

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
That poor officer in the last photo. You can see the embarrassment and misery in his eyes. Chances are, he's thinking: "I signed up to protect and serve and they have me riding around on a Big Wheel wearing a bicycle helmet....I wonder if the fire department is hiring?"

In the first picture, the constable is looking away from the camera for a reason. "Bloody hell, what is this shite that they have me buggering about on? The Chief Constable has gone mad...bloody prat, he is."

Reactions: JazzDad

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
that Dublin Civil Defense truck is beautiful! I would love one of those!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.