Wiring Cannon with Rigid

Leut_Dan

Apr 26, 2017
Fort Worth
Hello,

I have 6 Feniex Cannon hide away lights, and 3 rigid lights i want all to flash when i flip a switch.

My question is do i need a controller for the rigid or will the Feniex allow them to flash. If not what flasher should i get rigid brand or feniex.

My second question is how many switches will i need, assuming the rigid will be on a different switch. Can i use one switch for power and a second to flip through the modes on the feniex?

Third question, what guage wire do i need?

I have two Cannon in the tail lights, and two Rigid in the rear bumper.

I have four Cannon in the headlights and fog lights and one Rigid in the front bumper.

I want 5 total switches, 1 one switch for my front Rigid, 2 one switch for my rear rigid that also comes on with reverse lights (Currently wired only to reverse lights). 3 One switch to power cannon stobes, 4 one switch to switch modes (flash patterns), 5 one switch to power rigid as stobes.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/installation-accessories/40312
http://www.feniex.com/flasher

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I would not be flashing any rigid lights to the rear of the vehicle.. White flashing to the rear- more so rigid lights would blind oncoming traffic way too much.

Reactions: Kendreth

Leut_Dan

Apr 26, 2017
Fort Worth
I would not be flashing any rigid lights to the rear of the vehicle.. White flashing to the rear- more so rigid lights would blind oncoming traffic way too much.

They are diffusion, the cannon lights are much brighter than these. It's all about the beam direction.

PanHandleStan

May 20, 2010
FL
you will need switches for each mode you want to activate (or at least some way to apply power to activate each mode) the Feniex flasher has a sync capability. Just set the pattern on the flasher like you would on the cannon and treat it like a cannon to sync it to them.

Leut_Dan

Apr 26, 2017
Fort Worth
I called Feniex and you can switch patterns from the cab with the blue wire. You hook a momentary switch to the blue wire and ground the switch and it allows you to change the strobe pattern.

So i imagine if the flasher has the same patterns i can do the same for the flasher and hook both "Blue" wires to the momentary to switch to keep them in sync.

What gauge wire are you guys running?

PanHandleStan

May 20, 2010
FL
I called Feniex and you can switch patterns from the cab with the blue wire. You hook a momentary switch to the blue wire and ground the switch and it allows you to change the strobe pattern.

So i imagine if the flasher has the same patterns i can do the same for the flasher and hook both "Blue" wires to the momentary to switch to keep them in sync.

What gauge wire are you guys running?
That's correct. Guess I didn't understand what you were asking. I run 14 guage

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
They are diffusion, the cannon lights are much brighter than these. It's all about the beam direction.
?? What kind of rigid lights are they (model number)? Also running white/clear to the rear is a big no-no.. I'd suggest putting amber lenses on them (rigid makes them) if you are going to be flashing them.

Leut_Dan

Apr 26, 2017
Fort Worth
?? What kind of rigid lights are they (model number)? Also running white/clear to the rear is a big no-no.. I'd suggest putting amber lenses on them (rigid makes them) if you are going to be flashing them.

The Feniex Cannon are 2400 lumens much brighter than my rigids. You cant really even see them during the day.

Rigid Industries 91062 SR-Series Amber 10" Driving

Rigid Industries 20251 Dually 60° Lens 1568 lumens

Leut_Dan

Apr 26, 2017
Fort Worth
That's correct. Guess I didn't understand what you were asking. I run 14 guage

Okay i got solid wire 18 but its still about 3 times as thick as what they come with.

What color wire do i use as the power wire? Does it matter?
How do i get them to flash the same as the Flash Box? Do they just have the same patterns and i start them both at pattern 1?

Thank you for your help!

Leut_Dan

Apr 26, 2017
Fort Worth
Completely missing my point, good luck with your project.

(Fake edit: and just to show I'm still trying to help your project overall, the following link will be of great benefit to you: http://www.offroaders.com/technical/12-volt-wiring-tech-gauge-to-amps/ )

DO NOT USE SOLID WIRE- ALWAYS use stranded wire!!
Wire color does not matter, that is your choice.
Also don't use white the the rear!

I must be slow on the uptake here, i'm pulling a total of 2 amps. Each Cannon pulls 1 amp, i have 18/4 wire each wire at 10' can support 15 amps.

I chose solid core for its ease of termination, the cannons also have solid core. What is wrong with solid core?

YOU DO NOT NEED CAPS. If you wish to teach me please, yelling is not necessary.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Make sure you are using the correct gauge wiring for the length of your run. Also a good rule of thumb is to times your amperage load by a factor of 1.5 or 2. Your 18 gauge wiring will be fine for running 6 cannon lightheads. Id suspect if you run every single light you mentioned off one 18 gauge wire you'll have issues sometime soon from overamperage. Don't know the amp ratings for your rigid lights.

Using solid core wiring for automotive purposes (or any high vibration purposes) is a big no no. Solid core doesn't have much flex or give and the copper will eventually break somewhere. You normally find solid core used in buildings. Stranded wire has more flex and give and can handle vibration allot better. Stranded also has more "paths" or "routes" for the power to flow (that's more tech. discussion).

The cannons you have are stranded wire - the end of it has just been tinned with solder to prevent oxidation of the exposed wire lead.

If you are using 18/4 wire I suspect it's trailer rated wire? It should be stranded.

If you want to use industry standard wiring colors normally black is negative or green could be used as negative as well. With that said use whatever colors you desire for hooking up.

I think for the flasher questions you just need to select the same patterns (slave/master) following the feniex cannon install literature and then also select that same pattern on the feniex flasher for the rigid lights. Then connect the sync wires together and connect to the sync on the flasher for them to synchronize.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.