Custom TA indicators for switch plates

Kendreth

Jul 28, 2011
Nashua, NH
Evening Folks, I usually make my own switch boxes/ plates for my vehicles. i know that their are better options prefab that you can buy, but its something i enjoy doing.
i would like to do a custom led array for a traffic adviser with indicator lights like the ones found on the Feniex 4200 controller or the code 3 narrowstik controller. anyone know where i can get a wiring/ circuit schematic for this? i need to see it drawn out on paper thats how I learn this kind of stuff. i want to experiment with the idea but i don't even know where to start.

narrowstik controler.jpg
4200 screenshot ta indicator.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
just tap an individual led to each output of whatever flasher...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
sorry i cant edit....

but this is my sho me flasher and it has status leds built on to it... just relay some out like this...

Kendreth

Jul 28, 2011
Nashua, NH
DISCLAIMER: i am in no way an expert or 100% proficient with 12v automotive electrical systems or electronics. my knowledge is based off the best reliable information i can find on "the google" or life experience. with that out of the way thanks for the video! I do understand how to get it to indicate that its on or off with a single led. im trying to figure out the circuit to make a row of 6 or 8 leds display whatever the pattern is running on the ta at the time. if i had it on warning mode in pattern alternating between heads 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 i would want the led indicator lights to light in the same pattern showing 1,3,5 lit while 2,4,6 are dark ect. what i'm asking for is what i would need. relays? resistors? custom pcb? (if that's what it would really take) if i wanted to fabricate the led setup of the above pictured controllers from scratch. what does the internal circuitry look like where i take for example the grey wire for right arrow to a TA. i add power and get a right arrow pattern on the unit. how do i tell my switch panel which leds to light on the indicator? i dont know enough about this level of wiring to understand if this is even possible to do in a home garage setting.

thanks for the help!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Ok it depends on the leds you want to use and their voltage. Their are surface mount 12v leds. You would ground them all together the run the positive of one led to one output of your flasher as in the one in my video....

Might need more in put from you

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
take for example the grey wire for right arrow to a TA. i add power and get a right arrow pattern on the unit.

Sounds like you have a TA with a built-in pattern controller, correct?

If so, you would need to run a bunch of wires (one per TA lighthead) from the TA to back the control panel, then connect each wire to an LED indicator with a resistor.

Kendreth

Jul 28, 2011
Nashua, NH
Yea! that's what i was wondering. so if i had an off the shelf TA i would need to run a separate cable from the TA to the panel with individual wire dedicated to the led array on the switch panel with resistors at the panel.

so maybe this is my lack of knowledge in this area but how do the off the shelf controllers perform this function without the extra cable? is it logic built into the pcb?
was going to try to build a fancy switch panel for the new rig but may be more effort than its worth to just save up and buy a control head.

thanks guys!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
You wouldn't need resistors.... your not backfeeding from the feedback display to the arrow... you need to know the voltage of the control wires then buy leds rated for that amperage....

Kendreth

Jul 28, 2011
Nashua, NH
that helps keep it simpler. i'm trying to hand draw out the wiring now ill let you guys know if i work it out. this is the type i usually build. this was for my s10. red covered sw was main power. 2 led indicators were "idiot" lights on the response mode front and back sw3 was scene lighting and sw4 was my cheapie asian ta. looking to expand my knowledge base and try new things.
20170527_162238.jpg
very much appreciate all you professionals sharing your knowledge.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.