12 amp Pyramid power supply unable to power a FedSig firebeam

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I've noticed in the past I cannot get my Pyramid power supply to power some halogen warning lights when testing things. These are relatively lower amperage pulling lights, well below the 12 amp rating of my Pyramid power supply.

Most recently, I've tried powering a slow speed FedSig firebeam, but the protection mode kicks in on my power supply, not allowing it to work. Anybody care to shed some light on this?

fireman658

Jun 25, 2012
Missouri
What size wire are you using for leads from the power supply to the light? Is that peak power? I powered up a new to me Vector last night off of my 15 amp Duracomm with some tiny wire and alligator clips. Now once i tried to add the center oscillator with the rotators it pretty much crawled to a stop, but other wise it works fine. Here's the vid I'm talking about. You'll notice that the rotators are a little hesitant to get going, but once they do it's fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

fireman658

Jun 25, 2012
Missouri
grfd711 said:
I'm able to power multiple LEDs or even test various strobe dashlights on it, just not some halogen rotators. It is the type of Pyramid power supply which has no way of adjusting volts or amps. Here's a pic for reference:

http://i.seimg.net/images/311267/big/ps12kx.jpg

That should run a Firebeam effortlessly.

May 22, 2010
New York City
#1 hate to burst your bubble , but your power supply is not 12 amps, its 10 amps...... dont go by the model # thinking its 12.... it maxes out at 12

check the amps coming out, most pyramid power supplies that i seen are 3-4 amps less than what the company says....

i had a brand new 6 amp pusing out 2.5 amps.......

you get what you pay for !

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
911, I was wrong in my earlier statement: my amp is a 14 amp surge, 12 amp continuous, not a 12 amp surge, 10 amp continuous.

There is no problem with the firebeam, I ran it earlier off a car battery earlier. For reference, it's the factory "lamp cord" which is the wiring.

Eric, thanks for the input. I've noticed this issue before with halogen rotators, but ran the other stuff (flashers, strobes, LEDs) with no issues.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I have the Pyramid model: PS-14KX and mine will not power a 50 watt bulb. it sends the power supply into fail/overload mode. leds and strobes its fine. trust me, it has to do with the type of power supply. I bet you there is no short.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Pete L. said:
I have to agree. Does it power up then kick off when you put a load on it or are you powering up with the load plugged in ??

-Pete

I'm powering up the power supply and then attempting to apply the load of the firebeam.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
OK, I wish I read this thread before posting my issue. I have the same exact power supply and I am having issues powering my RV26 Unity light.

So basically this power supply (pyramid) isn't a good source.

Does anyone have anything that they would suggest??

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
unityrv26 said:
OK, I wish I read this thread before posting my issue. I have the same exact power supply and I am having issues powering my RV26 Unity light.

So basically this power supply (pyramid) isn't a good source.

Does anyone have anything that they would suggest??

got the receipt??!!

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I had a lighter 12 amp Pyramid power supply and it would not operate a few of my lights so I sold it and bought all 30 amp Pyramids. They run anything that I got right now. And just a few bucks more to go from 12 amp to a 30 amp unit so its not worth messing with the smaller units. I have 7 of these PSV-300 models and never had a problem. Most all of my lights and light bars are vintage pre 1990 stuff.005 (2).JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.