2015 Chevy Tahoe EMS Supervisor

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Police/EMS that actually runs their own ambulance?! Crazy! I know some MN agencies have Police/Medics, but they don't run their own ambulance.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I would've preferred a lightbar up top, but I see that this is a somewhat "modest" setup for the front and rear window (unlike other poorly-planned slicktops with 2 rear lightsticks and a loaded ILB up front, where they could've saved money by going with a loaded exterior lightbar instead )

It's a nice ride but some of the front warning makes me scratch my head....I have no idea why they have a visor light instead of a dual avenger on the passenger side headliner and a vertical mount linz6 on the top side of the PB (I don't believe the factory mounts any lights that high up, so the upfitter is the knucklehead that didn't mount it properly).
I'm not a fan of the front fender recessed light in that particular location or the dark color scheme of the graphics for an EMS vehicle, but those are minor peeves. I do, however, appreciate a dominator in the rear that finally has a good flash pattern

Jul 14, 2014
NV
An ambulance that says "Police"???? Doesn't make any sense to me, but to each their own.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
An ambulance that says "Police"???? Doesn't make any sense to me, but to each their own.
Makes perfect sense since the Police Department runs the Ambulance Service down there. Several communities in the greater New York City and Long Island area do the same. Remember it's basically a different world than the rest of us are familiar with.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I understand that law enforcement agencies in some parts of the US are the parent agency for local EMS for logistical reasons, but I think the ambulance should only have "EMS" or "Emergency Medical Services" in big letters....there should less emphasis on "Police" in big letters on all sides of the ambulance, as they did in the fly car, b/c (at first glance) it looks more like a police SWAT or police utility vehicle conversion than an ambulance responding to medical emergencies.

However, this is the first agency that I've seen where many officers are paramedics themselves, and that all the medics are not just civilian employees...aside from this, I've only seen police officers as EMTs/EMT-Ps in rural areas as first responders b/c of the long ambulance response times and officers certified as EMTs on ESU/SWAT teams. Other times when I've seen LE agencies' vehicles responding to medical emergencies are calls handled by firefighters/paramedics that are non-LEO employees of the S.O. (i.e. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue), where all their vehicles and LPs say sheriff even though the fire employees are not deputies. All of the police & medical skills/knowledge is a lot for those guys to keep up to date on in Greenburgh, and I'm surprised they didn't eventually move the transport side of EMS under the fire or county EMS umbrella (and keep the EMT/medic officers only as first responders to calls)

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'd like to know how the eff they got the rear LAWS in the reverse housings. On the 15 Tahoe I just worked on it looked impossible.
Good looking rigs though. Very effective

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Here are some better pics of that ambulance in question:

afarm1.staticflickr.com_698_22805774814_50b7fd6d23_z.jpg

afarm1.staticflickr.com_640_22806966933_f15b5ea1fd_z.jpg

afarm1.staticflickr.com_727_22805775014_3805c22147_z.jpg
https://flic.kr/p/AKnEFP
afarm6.staticflickr.com_5625_22806969303_83a8e312b9_z.jpg

I've been told that the "Police" on the front of the ambulance allows the Police Officer (if inside the ambulance) to preform traffic stops and other police duties.

If not in the ambulance or EMS Flycars, then Police Medics are assigned to regular patrol duties in vehicles like such:

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5791_23434137015_635b751457_z.jpg

In greenburgh PD, any vehicle with a vehicle ID in the 70's, is EMS related. For Example: Car 75 is a Civilan Medic in a Flycar. Car 75 is the ALS Coverage for the VAC's within the Town of Greenbugh (Elmsford VFD/EMS, Arsdley VAC, Tarrytown VAC, etc...). Car 70 is the EMS Medic Supervisor (civilian). Car 71 is a Police Medic. Car 77-79 are Ambulances. Just to name a few.

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
I believe Greenburgh is one of the only two law enforcement agencies in New York State that provides EMS Ambulance transport and first response EMS services. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the other is the Albany County Sheriffs office.

This is an old video, but explains a little about the agency:

And here's a response video showing one of the ambulances:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Nassau County PD runs their ambulance service also.
Up until 15-20 years ago the Greenburgh Police Emergency Service Unit was a dual rescue/tactical unit and was staffed by uniformed Detective-Paramedics who went on all the ambulance calls and were met at the scene by their civilian EMTs in the ambulance or the non-Greenburgh village volunteer EMTs in theirs. The Detective promotion was the carrot to becoming Paramedics.

Last edited:
Reactions: firedude

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Here are some better pics of that ambulance in question:

afarm1.staticflickr.com_698_22805774814_50b7fd6d23_z.jpg

afarm1.staticflickr.com_640_22806966933_f15b5ea1fd_z.jpg

afarm1.staticflickr.com_727_22805775014_3805c22147_z.jpg
afarm6.staticflickr.com_5625_22806969303_83a8e312b9_z.jpg

I've been told that the "Police" on the front of the ambulance allows the Police Officer (if inside the ambulance) to preform traffic stops and other police duties.

If not in the ambulance or EMS Flycars, then Police Medics are assigned to regular patrol duties in vehicles like such:

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5791_23434137015_635b751457_z.jpg

That'd be interesting being pulled over by an ambulance :-/

I like their color & decal scheme on the tahoes, but that D6 to the rear looks so goofy just sticking up high like that (even though I'm sure it improves visibility, instead of being blocked by the spoiler, when directly behind it). I wish they would've omitted the rear freedom inboards & the D6, and gone with a mini freedom to the rear instead (like county PD has on some of their tahoes)

Reactions: firedude

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big JW

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.