2016 Challenger SRT8 install suggestions..

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
well folks my latest install will be a full RB split package on a brand new 2016 SRT8 Challenger. Previously I've installed a complete slick top setup on a 2012 and 2014 challenger. Much of that same equipment will be transferred to this new one as well, but I'd like thoughts on shaking things up a bit. Previously, the forward warning power came from a bunch of SNM LED6 heads behind the grill, RB hideaways in the turn sigs, RB hideaways mounted in the hood vents, and a pair of small but effective 5MM LEDs by the inch under the bumper. The reason for this was because at the time (2011) I couldn't find a suitable full width ILB that was thin enough and had the right brackets to fit the headliner. I tried A whelen and a 1st generation Feniex and neither fit right at all. They hung too low and obscured the driver's view, plus back flash was insane at night. Has anything changed recently? Does anyone make an ILB that works well and looks good on the Challenger?

For that matter has anyone here done installs on the 2016 model yet? If I can go with a full width bar I'd like to delete some of the lower level lights and move the others around. Heck, It's an SRT8. It an American muscle car. It should not scream ricer with a bunch of clear lensed lights hidden but visible all over the place. I always go for the subdued, tasteful look that gets the job done without over doing it.

For the rear, I was thinking another ILB split that would fit around the CHMSL. Thoughts on that as well? I'm thinking about putting a pair of cannons on either side of the license plate since there doesn't appear to be space in the taillight housings anymore since they are all LED now.

What should I do about side lighting? I'd like to do something since I didn't on the two previous cars and there is not much on the way of intersection coverage. A pair of Sound off intersectors under the mirrors or a surface mounted Hideaway on the front fender? Maybe a RB Split TIR6 or Feniex T6 in the back quarter deep tinted glass?

And finally, I heard about a little module that was mentioned here on ELB that plugs into the OBD port on some Chrysler and ford vehicles that will tell the BCM to flash the head, tail, and fog lights on command. Is that compatible with the challenger?

Thanks for any help you guys can give! This is for a very good friend of mine that is starting up a department nearby and I'll be doing all their vehicles shortly.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
For a rear stick warning I would put a cobra 600 or 800, they're both thin enough to look slick and if you tinted the lens slightly you would hardly notice it was there.

As for the idea of putting cannons on the lisence plate I believe that would look super tacky and would suggest and led flasher for the tail lights (the module you are thinking of is the speed turtl engineering easy flash module (www.speedturtleemgineering.com) and I don't believe they make them for this vehicle.

For side warning I would use some multi mount ghosts or ions to stick on the lip of the wheel well, again with tint

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
And finally, I heard about a little module that was mentioned here on ELB that plugs into the OBD port on some Chrysler and ford vehicles that will tell the BCM to flash the head, tail, and fog lights on command. Is that compatible with the challenger?

While I have no personal knowledge or experience with these vehicles, or the item in question, here is what I found after doing some searching:

http://elightbars.org/forums/thread...police-activation-factory-h-l-t-l-flash.8944/
http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/2011-charger-taillight-flasher-mod.17939/
http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/2007-dodge-charger-hlf.32097/
http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/2011-charger-pursuit.6571/

Hope these links have (some of) the information you are talking about. Good luck, please keep us updated, and once you do work on your install, please post an Install Thread!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
well folks my latest install will be a full RB split package on a brand new 2016 SRT8 Challenger. Previously I've installed a complete slick top setup on a 2012 and 2014 challenger. Much of that same equipment will be transferred to this new one as well, but I'd like thoughts on shaking things up a bit. Previously, the forward warning power came from a bunch of SNM LED6 heads behind the grill, RB hideaways in the turn sigs, RB hideaways mounted in the hood vents, and a pair of small but effective 5MM LEDs by the inch under the bumper. The reason for this was because at the time (2011) I couldn't find a suitable full width ILB that was thin enough and had the right brackets to fit the headliner. I tried A whelen and a 1st generation Feniex and neither fit right at all. They hung too low and obscured the driver's view, plus back flash was insane at night. Has anything changed recently? Does anyone make an ILB that works well and looks good on the Challenger?

For that matter has anyone here done installs on the 2016 model yet? If I can go with a full width bar I'd like to delete some of the lower level lights and move the others around. Heck, It's an SRT8. It an American muscle car. It should not scream ricer with a bunch of clear lensed lights hidden but visible all over the place. I always go for the subdued, tasteful look that gets the job done without over doing it.

For the rear, I was thinking another ILB split that would fit around the CHMSL. Thoughts on that as well? I'm thinking about putting a pair of cannons on either side of the license plate since there doesn't appear to be space in the taillight housings anymore since they are all LED now.

What should I do about side lighting? I'd like to do something since I didn't on the two previous cars and there is not much on the way of intersection coverage. A pair of Sound off intersectors under the mirrors or a surface mounted Hideaway on the front fender? Maybe a RB Split TIR6 or Feniex T6 in the back quarter deep tinted glass?

Thanks for any help you guys can give! This is for a very good friend of mine that is starting up a department nearby and I'll be doing all their vehicles shortly.
View attachment 149608
View attachment 149609

For the front, I think that the grill lighting is gonna be the biggest punch. Whether you recycle previous SNM E6 lightheads or get a new lightstick, you should have 4 lightheads going across behind the grill (anything more than that will be blocked by the text on either side of the grill that says "challenger" and the model). HLF is a definite. I really don't think lights below the front bumper are necessary (kinda like PAR fog lights on older chargers), but it doesn't hurt as long as you don't go overboard.
For the front windshield, I would honestly out a dual avenger trio or dual viper spectralux on the passenger side of the RVM and call it a day....I think that any ILB sucks in chargers or challengers b/c the windshield is narrow enough as it is for the driver without one. I'm not a fan of air vent lights, but some ions clipped on the hood at an angle can provide some mid level front and intersection warning.

For the side, I would love to see intersectors, but I don't think they'll work with the shape of the side mirrors (since they're not flat on the bottom). I really don't like them on marked vehicles, but I think surface mount LAWs will be the better option for stealth intersection on the sides of the front and rear bumper (cannons or the SNM surface star). Anything like ion/ghost, XP63, etc will work in side window

For the rear, I don't think there is a CHMSL, so there are tons of options. I'd recommend a one piece ILB mounted on the rear deck to have a better seat against the rear window than a plan lightstick, but a 2 piece wouldn't look bad either and will give you more options (i.e. AWL's new linear ILB on the budget side, or an nforce on the more premium side). I would use the basic brake light wigwag. LAWs are impractical on the '16 rear tail area. I would like to see a pair of ion duos on the rear LP area; I think your car can have those and still maintain a stealth look.

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
Thanks for the great suggestions guys!

Oh and also I found out it will be the 2016 Challanger RT Scat Pack with the 6.4! 500HP. Will make for a fast pursuit vehicle!

Tomhae

Apr 22, 2012
Roseville, CA
Just curious, what is the specific purpose if this car? You threw me when you said "a friend of yours is starting up a department". That's a crazy car to be drilling holes in...

Reactions: Doug

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
The constable here will be adding new deputies and his primary car is the challenger. We have lots of straight highways down in this part of Texas and having a quick car is all too important.

Luckily the only hole I've ever had to drill on his previous challengers (and yes I mean more than one) have been for the radio antenna. Same will be for this one.

image.jpeg

I will post a full picture spread and detailed write up when it's complete.
I have a few custom touches and surprises in store for this one. The car is here, decals are on. Let the install begin!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.