2016 Police Utility - Steering Wheel Controls

sean_quish

Feb 1, 2012
Richmond,VA
Hello all,
Recently purchased a 2016 police utility with the rear taillight option, rear deck window ions, and ions in headlights corners. The steering wheel has the AUX controls but none of the lights are connected. Any information or insight on how to get lighting connected to these AUX controls? I have two wire harness plug ends in the wrapper still in the glove box.

Any upfitters in the Richmond, VA area let me know you may have some business coming your way.

Thanks

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Will their be any other lights installed that you want to run off the switches? Will the lights just be ran off the switches or from a controller, like Feniex 4200, Whelen Sapphire, ect. If not then will the switches just be turning on each section of lights, rear tail lights, rear window ions, headlight corners separately or in groups like one switch turns all the lights on, another only turns rear on, another just side, ect. Just trying to figure out exactly how you want to use the switches because that will dictate how everything needs to be wired.

sean_quish

Feb 1, 2012
Richmond,VA
I would probably run the rear lights on Aux 2 -rear window ions and rear taillight - and run the front headlight flasher and a dash light addition to Aux 1.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
The rear lights will have to be wired, from the upfitters guide it appears they don't wire any of the rear lights unless you get the complete package with the Cencom Sapphire. Someone else might be able to confirm but I've only worked on Utilities with the factory fog and mirror lights.

The front lights will be on a white connector under the dash in the same place as the gray connectors, which are the 2 you have. You will have to either order an adapter harness for the white connector or do like most and just cut the wires you need. Violet is the headlight flasher, Violet/Orange is the rest of the front lights. Gray/Orange will be to sync the front and rear lights, if you want them sync'd and Green/Brown changes the flash patterns.

The wiring can all be done off the 14 pin connector harness, the plug that you have in your glove box and make sure you look at the upfitters guide. Not sure of your skill level so if in doubt leave it to a professional.
You will need 2 relays, with the switches being low current switches and to prevent damage I would get them with built in diodes. Wire pin 86 of both relays to a fused constant power source, you can use the Yellow/Red wire, harness pin11. Wire one relay pin 85 to the Green/Brown, harness pin2, this will be switch 1. The other relay's pin 85 to the White/Violet wire, harness pin3, this will be switch 2. Wire pins 87 to fused power source, you can wire 1 to the Gray/Red wire, harness pin1, and the other to the Blue/Red wire, harness pin8. Wire Pin 30 on the relay for switch 1 to the Violet and Violet/Orange wires from the white connector. The other relay's pin 30 will go to the power wire for the rear lights. Pin 87a on both relays aren't needed.

sean_quish

Feb 1, 2012
Richmond,VA
Thank you for such detailed information. Looks like it is well out of my simple wiring skills and experience. I may look into working with a upfitter locally to service correctly. Thank you !

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.