9m4s help

towmedic

May 31, 2010
Montague, Prince Edward
I 'm refurbing an MX bar for our EMS Supervisor Explorer and he gave me a box full of extra parts. There was a 9m4s PS in it but I can't find the pinout diagram for the Molex plugs anywhere on the Whelen site. I would appreciate any info you could throw me. (BTW you may notice I haven't posted much here, but I have been a member of this and the old boards for a long time )

Thanks

Brent

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
This sounds like a good place for me to join the convo. I'll be visiting my old vollie FD in KY in about a month and a half, and while I'm home, I'm upgrading them from a Twinsonic to a Whelen 9M Edge. They purchased two full size bars and one mini bar.

The bar I plan on installing on the mini-pumper is a six strobe bar, consisting of four corners and two 400 series strobes facing to the front. I plan on upgrading it with a pair of flashers to the front and depending on my next question, possibly two more 400 series strobes.

I've never messed with 9M strobe bars, just the same frame that are Freedoms. I'm assuming 9M4s denotes it's a four strobe power supply only. If that's the case, that means I should have a second power supply running the 400 series strobes with two more open outlets.

So, my question is, is the 9M4S the only power supply that was put in a 9M Edge bar? If so, is it only a four outlet and what's the power output? One reason I'm curious is the UB12 thread I saw in conjunction with this thread. Didn't know if it was for a different style of bar or not. Another question is if I just have to insert the 400 strobes, will I need wiring to reach the power supply or a board with molex connectors?

Depending on what I find out, if I need, I can probably part out the mini bar's power supply if needed, as it wasn't fully assembled (missing some lenses, endcaps and mounts). I don't know if it had any 400 series strobes, so I may have to find those on my own.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
The 9M4S is the standard power supply in a 9M lightbar. It is a four strobe power supply. I'm actually not sure the wattage but it is sufficient. If you are looking to run 6 strobes then yes, you will need two power supplies. Once the two power supplies are in though, adding two more strobes is easy because the the standard strobe harness has all four connections for the strobes.

The UB412 is geared towards serial controlled use. Although very similar in some aspects (4 strobe, same footprint, 2x2 switching, low power), it only has two flash patterns when not being used with a serial controlled I/O board. It is the standard power supply in the Ultra series lightbar. It would work in a 9M if you could live with only having Comet Flash and Action flash. You would need to change the 8 pin plug on it to a 6 pin plug (eliminating the communication wires) and piggy-back the brown wire onto a 12v source if you wanted Action Flash.

If the mini Edge is a 9M version then it will have similar internal components. If not, then you might have to get creative to utilize the parts. There is nothing saying you can't use an older power supply with 9M components. As long as you have the space for it and you wire it up right, it'll work.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Bigcat, thanks a ton for the info. Considering the primary bar in this swap for the mini-pumper is currently running six strobes, that means I should have two more open outlets to run two 400 series strobes. That means I won't have to cannibalize (sp?) the mini 9M for a power supply, though I may consider doing it for the second lightbar, which may go on one of their old engines that happens to be running a Twinsonic, too.

In regards to making the upgrade for two more strobes to make it an eight strobe bar, I know I'll need the strobes, but what kind of wiring will I need? Is it just going to be two "extension" sets of three wires for annode, cathode and trigger with the appropriate molex plugs? Does the 9M use the molex plug used in old edges and for HAW strobes or are they using the mini-molex plugs similiar to those seen in Freedoms (though I know those are two pin).

NHFD104, I'm shooting you a PM.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
If the 9M4S is inside the bar, then all the wiring that is necessary to hook up four strobes is in the bar as well.

Here is a picture of what is needed to have a 9M4S inside a bar:

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_FOR_20SALE_P1050099.jpg

At the top is the 9M4S. Note the six prong female input connector and the twelve prong male output connector. The next cable is the wiring from the I/O board to the power supply. Six wires with six prong male connectors on each end. The coiled wiring is the strobe harness. One end is a twelve prong female connector, then at the other ends are the (4) three prong male connectors (standard strobe connections).

nickdlp10

Apr 3, 2011
reading PA
bigcat said:
If the 9M4S is inside the bar, then all the wiring that is necessary to hook up four strobes is in the bar as well.

Here is a picture of what is needed to have a 9M4S inside a bar:

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_FOR_20SALE_P1050099.jpg

At the top is the 9M4S. Note the six prong female input connector and the twelve prong male output connector. The next cable is the wiring from the I/O board to the power supply. Six wires with six prong male connectors on each end. The coiled wiring is the strobe harness. One end is a twelve prong female connector, then at the other ends are the (4) three prong male connectors (standard strobe connections).

do you actually have those, i am encountering the same thing, i need 2 for a custom mini edge. i have strobes, lenses and bar, but i need new power supplies and wire harness

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.