Agencies (other than MSP) That Have Used the Unity RV-26/46 Unibeacon

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
I know they're very traditional, but I think those oversized beacons on modern patrol vehicles look stupid. As LED technology is allowing lightbars to be slimmer (ie legacy), I honestly don't belueve that the fuel economy & speed is affected that much anymore (in comparison to vehicles that have older bars, such as MX7K, edge, etc). I'd honestly rather have a Slicktop but (if my state law required a beacon of some sort for 360) I'm sure something along the lines of an L31 beacon would do the job just fine in place of one of those giant beacons

I also personally think the front fender lights look silly; you could put something crazy bright like a pair of M9s facing each side (not that it'd be practical) and plenty of people still wouldn't stop for the vehicle, so I find those signs and the MSP signs just as useless
MSP's hood light, or fin as it's affectionately called, is not intended to be functional in the modern era, even if they are wired and operable. It is a nod to tradition not unlike retaining the big ass beacon, although fuel economy is clearly a stated official reason for the beacon by MSP. Nonetheless, MSP has embraced modern technology, as witnessed by the supplemental lighting added since the 90s, including mirror beams, rear deck, grill, and recently license plate lights, all now LED.

The MSP retrofit is crazy bright and the flash pattern is distinctly MSP. I still think it's a lame pattern, though, and agree with others I'd rather see a simulated rotator, especially if you could make it emulate the Spitfire. The old school Spitfires really caught your eye from a long way off at night!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
RCMP Retro Vehicles have the unity beacon:
I remember the RCMP cars in the old black paint scheme.  They had a red Beacon Ray 17 on the roof and a Federal SA24 speaker on the passenger's side fender.  The stop light was also on the fender but it was larger and had a black housing instead of chrome.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
Chatham County, Georgia - marine patrol. Running a new led model (same as MSP) in blue.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1464234441022.jpg
    FB_IMG_1464234441022.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 79
  • FB_IMG_1464234436310.jpg
    FB_IMG_1464234436310.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 86
  • FB_IMG_1464234431167.jpg
    FB_IMG_1464234431167.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: SBFD-E-9 and Tony P

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I want to see a red and a blue of those LED Unitys on a cross bar!

ai1038.photobucket.com_albums_a470_SnotBoogie_idbuythatforadollar.jpg

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I can remember when the RCMP patrol cars were black with the white front doors. They actually had Beacon Ray 17s on the roof and the stop light was a little bigger and flatter (with a black back, not chrome).

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Geneva (Ashtabula County) uses the flying wheel logo, but they predate OSHP.

So does Shaker Heights Police Department.

About 3 years ago I stopped at the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy and was talking to a Sergeant there. We got on the subject of collecting, and he told me he had one of those old Unity beacons and had it restored. It was his pride and joy.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.