AWL SMT6 Surface Mount/Grille Light (Picture Heavy)

nathanzx10r

Jul 12, 2014
Odessa, TX
My review of the AWL SMT6 from Advanced Warming Lights. ​
 ​
As this review will be my opinion of the products I ordered from AWL, I will state now that I am just getting back into a profession where I am using warning lighting.  The last time I used a vehicle with warning lights was back in the early 2000's when LED was just making a name in the market place.  So to be fair, I will review the product based on what I received rather then try to compare directly it to another light brand.​
 ​
Details of my Order.​
Order was placed on 7/28/2014 via website http://advancedwarninglights.com/
Products ordered were 2-R/R SMT6, 4-R/W SMT6, 2-"L" Brackets​
Shipping choice at check out was "Standard".​
Promotion @ time of purchase (30% Off) brought cost of each unit from $49.99 to $34.99 per unit.​
 ​
I found AWL's website easy to navigate, easy to read and not cluttered or "overdone". The only issue I noticed was upon checkout, even though I went through the payment process and made a payment for products via Paypal, it still showed the products in my cart as if I never paid for them.  I found this a little confusing when trying to make sure the items payment went through ok while still on the site.  Shortly after purchase, I received an e-mail confirming placement of order that cleared up any doubts that transaction wasnt completed or processed.​
 ​
As my order was placed after hours, the next business day I received an e-mail with my tracking information and that my order was on it's way. Even though standard shipping was chosen at checkout, my order was sent Priority USPS. Order was processed on the 7/29 and it was delivered 8/1.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_llz5r5gwd_AWL_002.jpg
 ​
 ​
I found the package to be secured, well packaged and free from any damage.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_x1089iiml_AWL_004.jpg
 ​
 ​
Contact information, product information, billing statement included.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_hr0d2bn4d_AWL_003.jpg
 ​
 ​
Item order was checked to insure all items paid for were received, and they were.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_5rouv0hjh_AWL_006.jpg
 ​
I then opened some of the product to take a look and inspect the quality of the item.  I found the supplied instructions for the lights easy to read and follow.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_a23iqlmml_AWL_007.jpg
 ​
 ​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_ilmwocuz1_AWL_008.jpg
 ​
 ​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_wtcld07nx_AWL_009.jpg
 ​
 ​
The lights came with a standard  tall flange, and a short flange that allows for better off axis lighting.  For this install, I am using shorts for my forward facing lights and tall for the side facing lighting.  It was nice to have the option what style I wanted to use for each application.​
 ​
Next I grabbed one of the optional L-brackets that I purchased for this install and took a quick look.  I noticed right away that there were 3 different mounting heights which was also a nice option to have, as the push bumpers that I was going to be mounting these brackets on were pretty low and it was nice to be able to, even if just an inch or so, get the light a little higher.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_579tsbob1_AWL_012.jpg
 ​
 ​
I then grabbed a light to give it a test fit to see where the lighthead was going to sit on the bracket.  I noticed right away that when the highest mounting option was selected, the light hung over the bracket buy about 1/8th of an inch.  AWL may want to consider making these brackets just a little bit taller.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_mylg6s3pp_AWL_013.jpg
 ​
 ​
With the foam gasket added and mounted to the bracket ready for install.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_7fo09nvf1_AWL_014.jpg
 ​
 ​
Here is a picture of the lights and brackets just after I mounted them to the push bumpers. I did have to supply my own mounting hardware to mount the brackets to the surface.  The brackets only came with 2 bolts, nuts, lock washer and they had to be used to mount the light to the bracket as the supplied surface mounting screws were not a secure way to attach the light to the bracket.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_yu7qbkt71_AWL_015.jpg
 ​
 ​
From this viewpoint, you can see how the shorter flanges allow for more off axis lighting to be seen.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_cjjvblvwt_AWL_016.jpg
 ​
One thing I noticed right away was that the black color of the L-Brackets are not a true black.  This is just a cosmetic issue, but something I felt that I should include in the review.  You can see this clearly in direct sunlight.  It is really not an issue for me, but for someone it might be and AWL should take a look at fixing this in my opinion to avoid any unnecessary returns or exchanges.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_8pqf2gekt_AWL_022.jpg
 ​
 ​
Next I flush mounted my side firing lighting on the push bumpers.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_cxl7b7g0d_AWL_019.jpg
 ​
Now comes the real fun part... Wiring.  Just follow the directions that were supplied with the product and you will have no issues if you have basic knowledge of installing this type of product.  The picture below is after all wiring was completed and flash patterns were being selected. The colors of the lights are crisp and true.​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_8e8ypoy4t_AWL_026.jpg
 ​
 ​
Here is the pictures of the completed push bumper lighting after cleaning the wiring up. ​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_wn831edal_AWL_031.jpg
 ​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_48y23s0ct_AWL_029.jpg
 ​
 ​
as4.postimg.org_951ovh0i5_AWL_027.jpg
 ​
 ​
I have 2 additional lights but I am going to making a custom B-pilar bracket for them for some more side warning lighting.  I will add a video of the car once the installation of all my lights are completed for you to see them in action and to see if the AWL SMT6 is something that you may want to consider using in on your next project.  I am over all happy with the purchase and the lights are well worth the price of admission.  So far they are a great light and will stand up with the big names in my honest opinon.  If I had to give the overall purchase a letter grade... I would give the SMT6 (Including optional mounting hardware) a "B".  Fix the little cosmetic issues with the bracket and you got yourself an "A".​

Reactions: uniden278

crucialcolin

Nov 23, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for posting the great review! I'm looking for some new grill lights myself and this is what sold me on these. Now I just have to come up with the money. The hard part lol. 

nathanzx10r

Jul 12, 2014
Odessa, TX
Thanks for posting the great review! I'm looking for some new grill lights myself and this is what sold me on these. Now I just have to come up with the money. The hard part lol. 
Here is my latest build using all AWL products for the front warning. 

http://youtu.be/U1qRNTOb-AI

I would have no hesitation recommending this these light.  For the money, they provide great warning power.

crucialcolin

Nov 23, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Looks great.

Well now that I got the money..I guess this would be a good question for AWL itself but I would be curious how these AWL SMT6's would compare to the Feniex Cobra T-6 which they also carry.

Has anyone seen or done any comparison's ?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.