Back up alarm wiring

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hey guys, working on installing a some back up alarms for my fd. I am planning on wiring them to the reverse light circuit for power. My question is on one of the trucks we would like the ability to shut the alarm off while the truck is in reverse. We have a V-con siren in the truck with a empty switch that I would like to use to do this thru. How could I wire it up? Never done one like this before. Thanks.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Ryan,

Check the current draw on the alarms. If it is more than a couple of amps, consider using a relay to trigger the alarm. Run separately fused power (if not already available on the switch) to the switch and then on to the relay.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
These alarms draw about a amp or 2. so I think I can go without a relay. We want them wired so when the truck goes into reverse they come on (which can be achieved by tying them into the reverse light circuit) but if we want to turn them off for what ever reason we would like to. But we want to use our C3 V-con sirens as they already have empty switches and we don't have to try and mount another switch. Thanks.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
This is the siren we have in our trucks. There are 4 aux buttons on the siren that we would like to use. However they are wired into a board from the factory so its not like I can use it as a breaker. I get the whole relay idea, but the questions is how do I go about it? Do I need a 5 pin relay? This is kind of what I am thinking

Power from the aux switch to relay pin # 86

Relay power to pin # 30

Relay ground to pin # 85

Alarm power run to pin # 87.

Now what I am thinking is when the switch is pushed "on" the switch inside the relay will remove power from the alarm until the switch is "off"

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
Yes, a 5 pin relay will be your best Option here.

Pin 86- Relay Power (from siren controller)

Pin 85- Relay Ground

Pin 30- Positive feed from reverse light circuit

pin 87A- Wire going to positive side of back up alarm

Remember though when you activate your switch with this setup it will break the circuit supplying power to your back up alarm, BUT Pin 87 will become Powered. I suggest putting a little Peice of wire (maybe an inch long) on pin 87 then capping off the wire. That way you won't short out on anything.

This may also be of help, I know personally I like illustrations rather than someone trying to explain

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366468485.553178.jpg

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Tlauden said:

Pin 85- Relay Ground

Remember though when you activate your switch with this setup it will break the circuit supplying power to your back up alarm, BUT Pin 87 will become Powered. I suggest putting a little Peice of wire (maybe an inch long) on pin 87 then capping off the wire. That way you won't short out on anything.

This may also be of help, I know personally I like illustrations rather than someone trying to explain

View attachment 50240

I am the exact way. VISUAL LEARNER! Thanks. I appreciate the help guys.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
We had a Chief that went nut's with back up alarms on our cars and utilities. Pain in the but when you have a lift assist and have to back out of a drive or complex at 2 am. We did the simplest change we added a toggle switch to the ground and just flipped it off if to shut of backing alarm.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
[duplicate, website running slowly]

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
If you create a method for disabling the backup alarm, and someone gets backed over...

The lawsuit would not go well for you. Might just sign a blank check and leave it in the truck.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Backup alarms are awesome in crowded parking lots full of braindead people walking to their cars. Get one with self-adjusting volume so you don't sound like the garbage truck over on the next block.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
a momentary switch hooked to the ground of the back up beeper is the safest way to disable the back up beeper, I have also seen timers used, either way after you back out the unit resets and works next time w/o having to remember to turn the back up beeper back on

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Tlauden said:

Pin 85- Relay Ground

View attachment 50240
Rather then a piece of wire off pin 87, wire it up to a warning light in the cab marked beeper OFF. Or use a NC relay so when you push the button it opens the relay, shutting the beeper off.

NPS Ranger said:
Backup alarms are awesome in crowded parking lots full of braindead people walking to their cars. Get one with self-adjusting volume so you don't sound like the garbage truck over on the next block.
These are PITA in parking garages etc, they get LOUDER! They're also sensitive to where you mount them, iirc you can't tuck them under the back like normal beepers.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Auto defaults to alarm on each time you leave reverse. Disables alarm with your switch via added standard 5 pin relay.

Wire relay as follows.

30: reverse lights+

85: ground

86 and 87: jumpered together and wire from your cut off switch+

87A: Alarm+

Description: When back up lights energize, alarm and lights come on.

When switch is activated (momentary switch is best, maintained switch will not auto default* but circuit will still work, see liability) pin 86 pulls in relay which then latches from reverse lights + and stops audible alarm at the same time. A diode is necessary from 85 to 86 with the lined end of diode at 86. This will prevent spike to switch which may be electronic in a newer truck (This spike occurs when power is removed from relay and is reverse polarity which this diode will squash by shorting across spike). You don't want to spike that brain, get help if you need it or pm me. *I designed this circuit for E one with a momentary switch so engines could be backed in without waking the neighbors or remaining crew at station. Auto default to alarm available was a requirement of the design request for safety and liability issues. Holding the switch while selecting reverse will render alarm completely silent, (as would a maintained switch, forgotten.) DOH ! :) Also, if you must use maintained switch feed it from ignition to avoid draw on batt. when switch gets left on in parked truck. Relays don't draw much but, over time,...um...yeah.

:duh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Why not just wire the audible alarm to the V con switch and if you want the alarm hit the switch. Not likely to forget it's on and no relay/diodes madness necessary at all.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Torpedo said:
Why not just wire the audible alarm to the V con switch and if you want the alarm hit the switch. Not likely to forget it's on and no relay/diodes madness necessary at all.

Problem with that is for liability reasons it should be ON as a default with the option to turn it OFF when the situation dictates. Some locations require backalarms on larger vehicles so the even having the ability to turn it off manually would be illegal. There are backup alarms available which are dual mode, default high volume then can be manually selected on low volume when required, as this is required in some EU countries. The back up alarm on the Mercedes Sprinter has this function, and is most welcome.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I have to agree with not putting it directly to the v-con switch. I did mount them and we did put a relay in the truck to kill the alarm. The only reason we really wanted the ability to shut it off was if we were headed somewhere and needed to stage in the area for PD or if it was at night in a subdivision.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.