Best Electronic Air Horn Tone?

Federal_Agent

Mar 1, 2011
USA Kentucky
Looking for the best PA/Airhorn or just Airhorn for usage with a Whelen SA315P siren speaker. I'm not authorized to use siren tones on this vehicle.

I like the Whelen tone and all well too familiar with it and on the fence about the Carson tone. Kind of looking for something unique from the common Whelen tone from emergency vehicles.

What is the most effective tone that demands attention that you like? Any links to video's and sound files would also be appreciated so I could hear the tone.

Thank you!

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I like Code 3's tone in their V-Cons, but it has to be certain models. (I found this out the hard way). It's a very low tone and is generally found on the V-Cons with hi-lo instead of Hyperyelp. Here's a video that demonstrates this nice low tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stfLR3gggXA&feature=related

Here's some advice about using an electronic air horn- don't buy the units made specifically for use as air horns. People have a hard time selling Whelen PA horns for around $100 yet you can pick up a beater siren for around $15 (check with Bill Skinner). If you decide to get a decent siren then you also have a bigger market upon resale because there's always someone looking for a siren but electronic air horns are a very niche product. Just my thoughts.

Federal_Agent

Mar 1, 2011
USA Kentucky
That's good advise and have been thinking along those lines as well. I'd prefer to have a remote controlled one where I could control the lights and the tones on a remote...

I've been looking at the Whelen HHS2200 where I can program and disable the tones via software. If there is another that I can disable the rest of the tones, I'd be interested as well.

I'll take a look at Code 3 and listen to the tone and decide if I like it.

Thanks for posting!

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I think the EQ2 is the best, but really like how you can program a Whelen with 2 different air horns.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
I like the code 3 vcon as well, we have it on most of our trucks. I also like the unitrol omega 90 airhorn. It is very deep and carries well. I DO NOT like the pa300 airhorn, it sounds cheap to me.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
Code 3 V-Con or Touchmaster Delta.

Whelen 295 is ok but a little high pitched for my taste. The PA300 is a joke!

Of course the EQ tries to actually mimic a Grover stuttertone air horn and does a great job, but as far as electronic horns, Code 3 and Federal/Unitrol get my vote.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
theolog said:
Good call! I used to LOVE those sirens.

Really, cuz I hate them!!! :thumbsup:

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
This is a completely subjective topic... Do a search for airhorn tones and see which on YOU like the best... I see that you will be using a plastic speaker... Just remember that the tone of the aurhorn will be different between plastic and metal speakers...

Last edited by a moderator:

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
They don't anymore. It was part of the Syntor 900 radios or whatever they were called. Radio, lights, and siren all controlled from one compact remote control head. The wail and yelp tones were superb. The yelp had kind of a "pop" to it like the Federal PA200. They were awesome, and ruged as hell. I worked for a sheriff's office that got at least 20 years of service out of those rigs.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
theolog said:
They don't anymore. It was part of the Syntor 900 radios or whatever they were called. Radio, lights, and siren all controlled from one compact remote control head. The wail and yelp tones were superb. The yelp had kind of a "pop" to it like the Federal PA200. They were awesome, and ruged as hell. I worked for a sheriff's office that got at least 20 years of service out of those rigs.

I loved the tones and we have cars who just this year got new sirens, but just because we changed radio systems, not because anything was wrong with them.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
My Opinions (and replies to what people have listed as their fav....you can figure out who):

I hated Code3 sirens for the longest time, and I finally figured out why after realizing that I actually like their Wail & Yelp, and LOOOOVE their Hi/Lo. It's the air horn, I absolutely hate their air horn. To me, it's no better than a PA300 horn, which ironically enough, is a siren with only 1 fault, the horn.

The eQ2B horn is nice, in that it sounds like Grovers, BUT, the fact that they try to replicate the "squeak" of the air rushing through the horn at too low a pressure at the beginning ruins it for me. I love short taps of the horn, and with the eQ, you merely get the damn squeak, if anything at all...

Someone said they hated the Whelen horn. I'll admit, it's not the lowest pitch out there, but it's also not the highest, and to me it has a nice full bodied, sharp, gutteral sound. I realized this one day while driving through West Philly (and people wonder why working a prison wasn't much of a change for me, lol!). Wasn't even driving code, just sitting at a stop light with the windows down on a nice mid-spring day, and the HRN/SRN switch was still left on SRN accidentally. The light turned green, and the car in front of me didn't move for a good 3 seconds, so I just tapped the horn. The sound that echoed off the buildings was fantastic, IMHO. You're right, it's not the lowest, but it sounds damn good, and it works.

Carson is decent, but the sound seems a little....dull.....

Unitrol is pretty much tied with Whelen for first, and for the same reasons. My only complaint, which I've noticed mainly on the Deltas, is the same thing as the eQ horn. If you just tap the horn, all you get is a speaker pop. A split second later, you get the horn. It doesn't take long, but it's enough that if you just tap it, you don't get the horn sound. It is, however, effective for the random pedestrian who might not see you, but you don't want to deafen....

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
I feel like theres a difference between the old 295's and the newer ones. The airhorn on my 295HFS6 is amazing!!!!

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
gman021 said:
I feel like theres a difference between the old 295's and the newer ones. The airhorn on my 295HFS6 is amazing!!!!

It's possible. My SAR team's CV has a SLSA1, I never really noticed a difference with the HFSA1's that I used to use, I'll have to listen better next time...

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Edit: I'm pretty sure they are different. Whelen has only been consistent with their wail tone in their sirens. All other tones vary a little depending on year. I'll be able to test this idea soon.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
gman021 said:

It's true. I replaced an older 295 with one with programmable tones and kind of missed my old one. The air horn and other tones sounded better, but I really like having whoop and warble.

swat247

Jul 10, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I have to go with the Federal Signal PA640. To me, the tone sounds really aggressive. Our older vehicles have the PA300 in them and the PA640 makes them sound wimpy

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
None of the electronic air horn tones I've heard sound like an actual air horn (e.g. Federal smart siren, various Carson models, Code 3 V-Con & Mastercom). They sound like an electronic simulation of a buzzer, not a horn.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
only air horn i like is the Smart Siren air horn its the most distinctive one and aggresive one i have heard Why has not anyone mentioned it yet WTF

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Wailer said:
None of the electronic air horn tones I've heard sound like an actual air horn (e.g. Federal smart siren, various Carson models, Code 3 V-Con & Mastercom). They sound like an electronic simulation of a buzzer, not a horn.

I completely agree with Wailer. No electronic, so-called air horn sounds like an air horn. They all sound like buzzers. If you like the sound of the Martin Horn, the Pintsch Bamage MS300 sounds more like a Martin than do any other electronics.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Dr. Dennis Stouffer said:
I completely agree with Wailer. No electronic, so-called air horn sounds like an air horn. They all sound like buzzers. If you like the sound of the Martin Horn, the Pintsch Bamage MS300 sounds more like a Martin than do any other electronics.

Nothing electronic beats a real air powered airhorn........ I've seen some pretty decent buell and grover installs on POVs.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Station 3 said:
only air horn i like is the Smart Siren air horn its the most distinctive one and aggresive one i have heard Why has not anyone mentioned it yet WTF

Because its really bad. Sorry bra

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX

Kind of like nothing electronic sounds like a real mechanical siren.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Henry455 said:
Kind of like nothing electronic sounds like a real mechanical siren.

But some mechanical sirens sound better than others. Same goes for electronics.

RES318CUE

Nov 5, 2010
NY, USA
My personal favorite for sounding like legit air horns would have to be the Wolo Persuader series, there cheap, but damn are they loud. They resemble a dual buell setup... but again, theyre electronic.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA

We're not talking about the two-tone martin horn shit, we're talking about the simulated air horn sound...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cawensel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.