Buckeye Moto-Ray oscillating light

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
Here are some better photos of the Buckeye Moto-Ray that was mentioned in the other thread. I had a request for better photos. Hopefully these photos turn out well, apparently the size was greatly reduced when uploaded.

Buckeye Moto-Ray

Model 507

6 volt

Patent No 2123090

The lighthead seems to be a K-D Model 850, or at least the glass lens is. The long upright bolts on the side are in place for display only, to keep the light upright and attached to a display base.

Patent information shows:

patented Jul 5, 1938 to R.C. Anderson and Buckeye Iron Works, Dayton, OH

lgphoto1.jpg

lgphoto2.jpg

lgphoto3.jpg

lgphoto4.jpg

lgphoto5.jpg

lgphoto6.jpg

lgphoto7.jpg

lgphoto8.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
Fantastic !

I looked last night through my books. This type of light is on a Reading PA, Bureau of Fire, Chief Car, circa 1947. Brooklin Models has a diecast of it (I will have to take a phot of it) with the light on top. I have seen this light a few times for sale, but never was able to see who made it. Thanks for the photos,

Fireman2941

Jul 21, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca.
jtf027 said:
is yours identical to this one ?

Not to brag but mine is in better shape. Chrome is in good plus condition... very few nicks and scratches but no flaking. The only difference I see is that the the back of the light (shell) on mine is painted black I assume to reduce glare.

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
well, congratulations. There is speculation that there are only a few in existence. Post photos of yours.....

Fireman2941 said:
Not to brag but mine is in better shape. Chrome is in good plus condition... very few nicks and scratches but no flaking. The only difference I see is that the the back of the light (shell) on mine is painted black I assume to reduce glare.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Fireman2941 said:
Here are some photos of the Buckeye Moto Ray that I purchased over the weekend. The light itself is an S & M Number 52 light and the Moto Ray unit is 12 volts.

I think you found the one that was refurbed by a late board member. He stated once that he refurbed several single digit serial number buckeye lights. That's a heck of a find.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Now I've seen something that I've never seen before. When I first looked at your post, I thought you had a Roto-Ray and had just mispelled it! This is something nice, and has got to be very old (especially if I've never seen one).

The Carpenter Light people had a similar oscillating light that sat on a small "box" like that. They also marketed a single-faced light that competed with Federal's FS3 light; the main difference being that the Carpenter light had red plastic lenses that faded badly to a pink shade, where the FS3 had thick glass lenses. Carpenter also offered an oscillating version of the single face light as well.

Fireman2941

Jul 21, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca.
I'm still trying to determine if I paid too much for it. Does anyone have any idea as to what the value of this light would be? Also, does anyone know how many were made?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
As far as value, there are less than ten left in existence. So what ever someone pays is the price... there simply aren;t enough to say what a standard price is. I'd pay $500 max, but that's my max on almost all lights..

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Sorry I didn't post this sooner, trying to clean out my camera's SD card and stumbled onto it. Part of a friends collection, snapped some photo's of his collection before he moved. Only one I've seen still sporting roof/grill mounting brackets. No idea where he got it or what it saw service on.

SANY0146.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Liberty703 said:
Sorry I didn't post this sooner, trying to clean out my camera's SD card and stumbled onto it. Part of a friends collection, snapped some photo's of his collection before he moved. Only one I've seen still sporting roof/grill mounting brackets. No idea where he got it or what it saw service on.

These things sure are coming out of the woodwork!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
shues said:
These things sure are coming out of the woodwork!

I was recently given a copy of a nice "old ambulances"book called EMS Classics by Peter Adsten. Peter was an owner of Canadian-based Crestline Coach. One picture that I found interesting was of a bright red '49 Cadillac ambulance from TN that sported twin Mars FL8 lights on the fenders and an original Roto-Ray light on the roof. The siren wasn't visible, so there's no telling what it was; but it made me wonder how they powered that car with three motor-driven lights plus the siren. I would suspect that they used twin batteries and maybe a truck-type generator. Another interesting unit was a 1949 Chevy sedan-delivery that was converted by Weller Bros of Memphis. This little truck sported two single-faced red lights on the front corners of the roof with a Mars FL8 in the center; and there was a big Federal C6B siren with the PropelloRay light on the left fender and a free-standing PropelloRay light on the right fender. Again for this car.....how'd they do it?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I had mentioned the Buckey RotoRay earlier. Last night while watching the late news, a story was presented showing a new firetruck just purchased by the small town of Andrews,TX, just NW of us. This new aerial ladder truck had LED lights, a Q siren, an electronic siren and an all-clear RotoRay mounted to the front of the truck. I've never seen anything spin quite so fast!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.