California Highway Patrol Vision/Vector

dg0223

Passed Away
Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Question:

A board member is selling some Vision/Vector pieces he was hoping to restore as a CHP lightbar, and it got me to thinking about the setup on these lightbars. Does anybody know the exact setup of a CHP Vision/Vector? Also, which pod would have had the steady burn red?

I don't mean to be rude, but I would appreciate if this didn't turn into a pissing contest about who is right and who is wrong about the lightbar. If anybody has one of these lightbars in their collection, I would appreciate any pictures you may have. I guess the specific questions I have are:

-Is it a Vision/Vector/Smart Vector?

-What colors were the pods? Which pods were solid colored and which had colored filters?

-Which pod had the steady burn light?

-Which pods had alley lights/cutouts for that pod to turn into an alley light?

-Did the lightbar have a traffic advisor to the rear?

-Were there any variations to the standard setup? Does anybody have any evidence that proves they had different color setups?

I did do a search, and I did not find any information on what I was looking for. Although I don't particularly mind a funny or off-topic comment here and there, I would like an answer to my questions, so if anybody has any photos out there, I'd appreciate it.

- As far as I know they used all of them but i've only seen the vision, but they now have switched to a custom liberty.

-The steady burn red was always in mod 4. It was the only one that had a full color dome. All of the rest of the mods had a clear outer dome with color filters inside. Mod 1 I think was red to the front, alley cutout on the side, and blue to the rear. Mod 2 was blue to the front and red to the rear. Mod 3 was white to the front, and rear amber. Mod 4 was steady burn red to the front and might of had a rear flasher not sure. Mod 5 was the same as 3. Mod 6 was the same as 2. And Mod 7 was the same as 1.

- The end mods had the alley light cutouts, so numbers 1, and 7

- Yes all of there light bars have the rear traffic advisor.

-As far as i know all of the bars were set up the same.

Some reason I can't upload the pic, but a quick flickr search will find you good pictures.

As a note, unless you have CHP specific firmware on the Vision control head, remote amp and system board (which is highly unlikely), you will not be able to program pod 1/7 for alley light function. You will also not be able to set up a pod 1/7 rear oscillate.

The work around is to rearrange the pod connectors on the main system board, plugging pods 1 and 7 in to positions 2 and 6...

This makes for some interesting sync'd rotating patterns...

As far as the side cut out inner filters, these can be ordered from Fed Sig or you can manually cut them with a hack saw... It won't be pretty but it'll work in a jam.

The front inner red filters with the cutouts can be ordered from Fed Sig. And the CHP visions run off the GE Ranger system specially designed for the CHP.

Thank you to everyone who responded and provided links and pictures.

So, as the pictures and the evicence show, there were never any amber filters to the rear of any of the pods?

-dg

dg0223 said:

So, as the pictures and the evicence show, there were never any amber filters to the rear of any of the pods?

-dg

nope

dg0223 said:

-dg

Correct. Only the signal master is amber.

chp1115.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmoyer1