Cencom Sapphire & 2 Wire T/A Wiring ?

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
Hey All; Have a Cencom Sapphire CCSRN3; the one without the T/A board. Trying to get my hands on a Whelen Self Contained Warning Bar/TA. I remember reading that you can operate one of these with a Cencom Sapphire but can't for the life of me find any information other than "it is possible". Anyone have any ideas as to how that would work? Would it just turn on and off with a basic flash pattern like a warning bar on a std switch or would i be able to set it so that, say, switch 9 is Left, Switch 10 is Center Out or Flash and Switch 11 is Right? Just curious before i spend money on another bar when i already have a fully functioning Whelen T/A (dont want to have to buy a 2nd box and have all of the clutter)

Thanks

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
When using a 2-Wire TA, and it is set up in the programming for it..... It uses Outputs 9 & 10 automatically. 

Which is Button 9 (DIR).  IF using it as a 2-Wire, you MUST use output 9 for left and output 10 for right.  When you press the DIR button it steps though left, right, and center out, by applying power to each of the outputs, then both. 

Output 11, is used for Flash, so when the FLASH (Button 10) is pressed, it activates the flash. 

If set up that way, which is default for the CenCom, then it will also flash the LEDs on the keypad for the Directions, and flash for what ever flashing pattern you have the CenCom set for.  You bar will depend on what pattern you have it set to.

If you don't want to use it like the Default, you can clear the button settings, and make then regular buttons.  So you can use then for whatever you want, like Button 9 for left, Button 10 for Right (activating them both at the same time will result in CENTER OUT.) 

And you can hook the flash wire to another button, or to a slide switch output to turn on with your slide switches. 

If you haven't already, go on Whelen's site, and download the CenCom Programmer and play with it.  After awhile, you will get what it can and can not do. 

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
Hi there. Yeah, i did just that and downloaded the cencom programmer. Pretty nifty stuff.
I'm going to be reprogramming the cencom (again) as it is being ran in my work truck for my amber lights, so no sirens, haha.
If i was to reprogram the light and make, say, output 1 8 left and 9 right (random numbers), would the indicator led's still work assuming i program them as a 2 wire TA function on the program? or would it HAVE to be 9 10 11? I can just switch around some wires to use 9 10 11 but want to know so i dont go nuts for nuthin.

Thanks!

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
You can change the buttons to different buttons, but I believe the outputs will still be 9 and 10. Will be used for the left and right arrows.

The flash one can be unused and made as a regular button, just clear it by right clicking it. When it is set to the flash, it will display the flashing LEDs.

Same with the DIR. It will display the LEDs. If you have regular buttons set for left and right then no it will not.

When using the DIR button, it uses one button and two outputs. Pressing the button once will give power to output 9, pressing it again will turn off output 9 and give power to output 10. Pressing it again will keep power on 10 and give power to 9 to give power to both wires making Center Out. Pressing it a 4th time will turn it off.

You can make any Button your DIR and FLASH but they will ALWAYS activate those relays.

When using DIR you do not need a button for left and a button for right.

Reactions: lambo2936

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Jason, thanks for the info, I'm getting ready to program/install a CentCom in a patrol vehicle that has a SoundOff Signal unit thas is possessed.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
I have a question...how do you tell the CENCOM to run the amber modules in a DUO bar? I have been playing around with the program but have not yet been able to connect to the bar but was curious why it won't let me select the amber light heads. I don't want to export to the bar and have the red/blues going on T/A function. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.