CHP Traffic stops

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I hate California and personally think that it is single handedly responsible for the downfall of the United States with all its liberals and gluten free and Bernie and Hillary lovers BUT.... I have to hand it to them the CHP does do awesome research when it comes to lighting.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
This "journalist" is douche. He's prolly spending all day waiting for something to happen so he can sell the footage and proclaim "police brutality!" to all the interwebs. The patterns are pretty sweet. I wonder how the set up changes for HGN.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Is there a requirement in California to have a lightbar like CHP's? I haven't found a single agency (yet) that doesn't run a bar like CHP...red/blue front, amber in the rear. I personally don't like that look but was just curious if it's a California requirement or just that everyone likes to copy the CHP.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Is there a requirement in California to have a lightbar like CHP's? I haven't found a single agency (yet) that doesn't run a bar like CHP...red/blue front, amber in the rear. I personally don't like that look but was just curious if it's a California requirement or just that everyone likes to copy the CHP.

There is no requirement in CA, execpt for the steady red to the front that's visible for 1000' in front of the emergency vehicle, and sounding a siren as reasonalbly necessary. Don't ask me for the definition of reasonalbly necessary, because after 2 police academies and CA FF1 and FF2 academies, I have not heard the same definition.
The CA vehicle code (CVC) allows amber to the front, rear and sides for all emergency vehicles, and allows only law enforcement vehicles to display blue lights to the front, rear and side.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I was under the impression that the siren must be sounded with the reds and visa versa and that's why CODE 2 never permitted "lights only"

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I was under the impression that the siren must be sounded with the reds and visa versa and that's why CODE 2 never permitted "lights only"

Agencies has strict SOP's, I worked for one, that probibit use of lights only for an emergency response or pursuit. But the CVC and agency SOP's don't agree, while you may be following the letter of the law, you can be found in violation of your agency SOP's. (Been there, done that)

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Agencies has strict SOP's, I worked for one, that probibit use of lights only for an emergency response or pursuit. But the CVC and agency SOP's don't agree, while you may be following the letter of the law, you can be found in violation of your agency SOP's. (Been there, done that)

Wait, your agency doesn't allow lights to bused except for responses and pursuits? Did I read that correctly?

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Wait, your agency doesn't allow lights to bused except for responses and pursuits? Did I read that correctly?
My mistake, we could make traffic stops, but as soon as we went 10-41 (in service) there were at least 3 or 4 priority 1 calls holding, we wouldn't clear from a call so we could get our reports completed, and report writing was almost always interupped by a "cover now" call, or a "FD and medic's are standing back at at 245 (assault with a deadly weapon)" call.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Ah okay that makes sense. Some agencies in my state have to finish paper before clearing a call because they'd never get caught up.

Reactions: 801

NoVAFed

Dec 28, 2011
Earth, USA, Northern VA
At the beginning, when the mouth breather on the bicycle rides up to the photographer, "...the CHP demanding to see the registration, kinda heavy handed..." Go home to your Mom's basement and try to get a clue Skippy. People just have no idea. Morons.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
At the beginning, when the mouth breather on the bicycle rides up to the photographer, "...the CHP demanding to see the registration, kinda heavy handed..." Go home to your Mom's basement and try to get a clue Skippy. People just have no idea. Morons.
And it's those types of dumb@$$es that vote too, which is more terrifying :eek:

13TTPP

Feb 11, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
Kudos to the officers ignoring the turds and there ceaseless recording. That is more likely the primary objective of the camera holding asshats, to motivate the officers to engage with them regarding the purpose or legality of there video recording. Add Texas' wonderful new open carry statute to the mix and imagine the potential gold mine for such self appointed watch dogs. I didn't watch the whole video, but in the 1st segment the Vic had the whole front lit steady, later videos taken from the rear appeared to have the front still flashing.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
I like their setups too, minus the obsession with red to the front, would prefer it split 50/50 red/blue. Steady rear blue should be dimmed at night.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
Which look? RB or RBA?

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Which look? RB or RBA?

The amber in the rear of the bar with red and blue on each side. Everyone seems to copy the red/blue up front, and red/amber/blue to the rear. The only odd agency so far I've seen is Hawthorne. They run amber in the middle of the rear bar like CHP but their corners are blue front and back and they run blue cruise lights...kinda different for CA.

I was just curious. I don't particularly like that look so maybe that's why it bothers me. :)

Jul 14, 2014
NV
The steady front red is a requirement under the vehicle code in CA, dates back to the days of emergency vehicles having the PAR 46 lamps mounted on the front of vehicles. Blue is permitted for law enforcement only, but not required. Amber is permitted to front rear and side of all emergency vehicles, and lots of other public safety, utility and tow/service vehicles when blocking or near a roadway.
CVC 25252 steady red required
CVC 25258 (b) blue light permitted by peace officer only
CVC 25259 (a) amber permitted to front, rear and side

The red driver's side and blue passenger side is a tradtion left over from the days of the CTS.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I thought all emergency vehicles were required to have a steady or flashing amber on the back side in California? I suppose the traffic advisors/arrow sticks count as a flashing yellow..

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I thought all emergency vehicles were required to have a steady or flashing amber on the back side in California? I suppose the traffic advisors/arrow sticks count as a flashing yellow..
Under CVC, amber is permitted but not required. But it is tradition.
CVC, Calif Vehicle Code.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Does anybody know if the roto-ray is California compliant for the steady red? I'm guessing no, b/c I've never seen or heard of it being used to meet the steadyburn requirement (and b/c state V&T laws are not always the most logical), but (although it moves) it technically is steadyburn and visible from a distance

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
Good I'm not in charge out there. Skippy would see what heavy handed looks like.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.