Code 3 XS 8000 Bar

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Was just wondering of the rarity or collectability of this Code 3 XS8000 bar is. It is in decent shape with 4 strobes, front and rear flashers, and center oscillator. Just havent seen many of these around. Thanks for any info any one can provide!

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_elightbars_DSCN0687.jpg

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_elightbars_DSCN0689.jpg

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
They are somewhat rare. Code 3 has had that bar since 1993, but last I saw it they only make a wrecker version or a "Duo-Beam" mini version.

This bar was also called the Intensity. Arizona DPS used these for a while also.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Centerline, MI FD has a green pickup truck with one on it, it looks like 8 strobe. But it's R/C/R/C/R/C/R/C/R/C Front and Back.

Some of the clear to the rear are not with lightheads, but the pass side rear corner is clear. I have one that is empty inside now. The show I bought it at it had a tomar PS in it with whelen heads. Does anyone know if the rotator version is the same frame as the strobe?

And didn't they offer it with just MX sweeps? I need to dig out my C3 catalog again.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Code 3 has had a few generations of these.... the first ones had a curved corner tube the same shape as the corner filters. The later ones had a straight tube resembling the edge corner tube. At one point they added the ability to spec corner tubes in the inboard position (about the same time whelen offered the all linear edge series). Code 3 called this option "IntensAfire". Intensity bars are pretty cool, you could order halogen intersection sweeps in the corners and an oscilaser in the center. Intensity strobes had the capacitors on the strobe head instead of the power supply which made for poor "upgrade-ability". You could order clear lenses with filters or colored domes. I really like these bars, I'd love to see a LED version with halogen sweeps and center oscilaser.

Rotator versions used special rotators. The intensity frame has a medal ridge half the height of the bar right down the center lengthwise. This meant you either needed separate front and rear rotators, or smaller rotators on risers. At one time or another both options existed.

Code 3 later offered the intensity series in a half/flush bar. Initially it was offered with oscillating lights instead of rotators. Later the oscillating lights were replaced with rotators that resembled (but not exactly) MX 7000 rotators. 7x3 strobes and halogens, corner strobes and oscilasers were options.

The mini intensity is the only version still made. It came with strobes, rotators or sweeps. Now it only comes with strobes.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_scan0040.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_scan0041.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_scan0060.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_code3005.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_scan0059.jpg

inten1.JPG

inten2.JPG

inten3.JPG

inten1.jpg

inten2.jpg

inten3.jpg

inten4sale.jpg

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
The Intensity had a nice asthetic shape that rivaled, and I thought actually exceeded, the Edge in appearance, but it's design actually doomed it from the start. The outer domes leaked badly around the bulkheads in an average rain, much less a downpour...at least they did on the one I had briefly, and it had the newer style orange colored gaskets.

I had always wanted one just to be different because of everyone around here running Edges, and when I finally got it in a trade, I was very disappointed. It had a cheesy random flash pattern that had no abilty to be changed. Plus, those internal filters had tiny U shaped clips molded onto them that broke off easily when the mounting screw was applied, so you had to hope one of them managed to stay on to hold it. It seemed one or two loose ones were always rattling around.

I managed to find enough amber filters to put in it and get a local tow truck owner to take it off my hands, but it didn't stay on his rig very long either.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
03crownvic said:
The Intensity had a nice asthetic shape that rivaled, and I thought actually exceeded, the Edge in appearance, but it's design actually doomed it from the start. The outer domes leaked badly around the bulkheads in an average rain, much less a downpour...at least they did on the one I had briefly, and it had the newer style orange colored gaskets.
I had always wanted one just to be different because of everyone around here running Edges, and when I finally got it in a trade, I was very disappointed. It had a cheesy random flash pattern that had no abilty to be changed. Plus, those internal filters had tiny U shaped clips molded onto them that broke off easily when the mounting screw was applied, so you had to hope one of them managed to stay on to hold it. It seemed one or two loose ones were always rattling around.

I managed to find enough amber filters to put in it and get a local tow truck owner to take it off my hands, but it didn't stay on his rig very long either.

The main issue I had with mine was the sun. The top is open/clear so the strobes washed out in the sun. The bar being "all lens" also discolored badly. I had heard horror stories of them leaking, the one I had didn't though.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Thanks for all the info. I am not planning on putting mine into actual service so I guess leaking won't be an issue. I am trying to decide if I want to clean it up good and display it or try to sell it. I am kind of fond of it because I have never seen any used in my area. Maybe I will hang onto it and it will end up like my Strobehawk one day. Valuable not because it is such an awesome lightbar, but because of the rarity:)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
MPD 818 said:
Thanks for all the info. I am not planning on putting mine into actual service so I guess leaking won't be an issue. I am trying to decide if I want to clean it up good and display it or try to sell it. I am kind of fond of it because I have never seen any used in my area. Maybe I will hang onto it and it will end up like my Strobehawk one day. Valuable not because it is such an awesome lightbar, but because of the rarity:)

I wish I hadn't sold mine with the early curved corner strobes..... hang on to yours.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
JohnMarcson said:
I wish I hadn't sold mine with the early curved corner strobes..... hang on to yours.

John..that bar looks really familiar. It would not have by chance came from Florida?? Would it?????

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
jdh said:
John..that bar looks really familiar. It would not have by chance came from Florida?? Would it?????

I had that bar about 4 years ago.. I don't remember where I got it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I added some mini intensity pics to my original reply. Both of those bars were sold to Charger Lighting here on elb.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.