Couple Quick Motorola Wildcard Questions...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Alright guys...

I'm thinking about setting up a WildCard switch panel in my truck (with a relay board of course) and have been doing enough research to be dangerous. I have a couple quick questions because I have read conflicting infromation on BatLabs and RR (and wherever else I have looked).

1.) Any standard DB25 cable will work with the Wildcard, correct? I have found the pinout but I want to be 1000% sure I can just hack one end off a standard computer DB25 cable and use it correctly..

2.) I have seen people say that the switches can handle anywhere from .25 amp all the way up to 1 amp, but everyone has said that they each need to be fused precisely. So does anybody know for sure what the amp ratings are for the switches?

3.) Does the HLN1206B have 6 latching and 2 momentary switches as standard, or is it set up different?

Thanks in advance for any information provided!

Alec R

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
1) Yes you can hack one connector off and use the cable. Just have to use a continuity tester on each pin and each wire to figure out what color wire is used for the pin.

2)I am not sure what they are ratings are. I am using a relay set up also. I am using negative switching to control the out puts just to be safe.

3)There are 2 variations of the wildcard box. Forget which is which. I believe the HLN1196 has 7 latching and 1 momentary. The HLN 1206B has 6 latching and 2 momentary.

Reactions: 7d9_z28

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Thank you for the great information! Sounds like you are using a Wildcard too? Any pictures of the relay board or the location of the box? :cool:

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I have used one in my old truck with 5 pin relays and a mass of wiring. Works great. But it was a mass and mess of wiring. I did some searching and found these relay boards that were used specifically for the wild card boxes. I am still installing it into my new truck. I have 2 of them. One is a spare and I also have a second wildcard box. I am going to be mounting the box behind my rear seat in my crew cab. Ran all of the wiring. Just have to mount and connect the wires to the relay board still. Hopefully next week if time is on my side. Here are some pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431094121.795331.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431094145.782450.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431094164.435741.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431094184.979270.jpg

The wooden board is getting mounted behind my seat. The tan box on left is the relay board. The 2 screw terminal blocks are for input of the switches and connection point for outputs of switches. Wildcard box mounted in my center console and closes up nicely out of view.

Will be doing an install thread when I get it all done.

Edited: added more specifics to first paragraph and spelling changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
That looks great, where did you find the relay board? I would love one but Im sure they are $$$

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I got it off of flea bay about 4 or so years ago. Along with the second wildcard box. I had already wired the separate relays in my old truck and didn't feel like changing it over. So I held onto them knowing I would be getting a new truck. Will send you a PM.

jmr061

May 4, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a bunch of used wildcard boxes plus a couple of relay boards.  I had the relay boards post for sale a while back.  These relay boards work great with a wildcard.

Still have them:

Reactions: 7d9_z28

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I have a bunch of used wildcard boxes plus a couple of relay boards.  I had the relay boards post for sale a while back.  These relay boards work great with a wildcard.

Still have them:
I saw your boards while searching, they look great but unfortunately I cant afford to pay that much right now.

I obtained a used wildcard from ebay, a new relay board, and a new DB25 cable for around $40, it should all be here soon. Im, sure I will have more questions when I get into it all!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I got my Wildcard and relay board in today, and I think one of the buttons has been replaced. Buttons 1-6 are latching, button 7 is momentary, but button 8 is latching. Works out amazingly in my favor, as I was considering finding two more latching buttons anyways to replace the momentary ones, but with 7 out of the 8 latching, I think I am all set.

The Wildcard box itself is awesome, the size is perfect to fit in several places in my truck without being bulky or tacky, and the buttons have a nice solid click engage. I prefer these over rockers and soft press/membrane buttons (like the Cencom).

Im excited to get the DB25 cable in and start planning out the install of it!

Thank you for the help everyone!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Just quoting you for the notification!

Its mounted, not at the angle I would prefer but the way the inside of that hole is, this is the way it is. My DB25 breakout board is en route!

Thank you all for the help!

Wildcardoverhead2.jpg

Wildcardoverhead.jpg

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
No its the way the back of the box hits pieces inside the console. Theres a couple pieces that screws go through to hold it together and cutting them would cause the console to come apart. Width wise the spot is perfect.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Is it the whole WILD card box or just the DB25 cable that's hitting? I have seen right angle DB25's to cut down on depth.

Seth

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Its the box. I already trimmed some excess off the DB25 cable to bend it properly. The box hits the plastic I described above.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Alittle late reply but

I have a 90 degree cable connector on mine and I also had to flip the switch box over just to get the cable connection away from obstacles.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidey1234

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.