Wanted Electronic Siren Speaker Sound Reducer For Testing & Demonstration

AeroTwinSonic

Sep 27, 2013
Orlando, Florida
I am looking to purchase a pre-made circuit that I could place inline between a 100 watt electronic siren and a siren speaker which would greatly reduce and adjust the decibel level of the siren's decibel level, for testing and demonstration purposes. Please feel free to message or email me at joseph@matternmedia.com with your description and pricing. Thanks For Reading This Ad!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Go to Walmart.... Buy a regular incandescent lightbulb

Reactions: SafetyLighting

FUZZNUT2U

Nov 25, 2015
Gardena CA
I have been using this resistor inline (470 ohm 5%) for several years, sound level is perfect in the shop or demo vehicle, Fry's cost $1.79. I have used it for Whelen, Federal Signal, Code 3, Sound Signal..
20160918_053442.jpg

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
With the resistor technique you can ditch the heavy 100 watt siren speaker and substitute a compact 4 watt speaker so your "test kit" is very portable

AeroTwinSonic

Sep 27, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Chiefops: If I wanted to test a Federal PA200, I could simply place one 470 ohm resistor 'in line' connected to a 4 watt speaker? Would I need a resistor in line on each side of the two speaker wires? Also, would I simply solder the resistor in place or is there another simple way to connect? Thanks, Joe.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I don't remember the correct value of the resistor, I use exactly what a FedSig installation manual recommended.
In any event I soldered but you can crimp the hard leads of the resistor inline with one of the 2 speaker leads and heat shrunk (shrinked?) each connection. I use an old Johnson 2-way radio speaker with alligator clips on the leads for quick hook ups to any siren's output speaker leads. Voila, instant indoor/anywhere siren tester.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I can see where the light dimmer might not fit the bill. But would the impedance matching volume control quoted above? I'm thinking for use in collection display, not as a tester.

I was short on time so didn't comment, just posted the link, but I posted it because it's what I use. With the impedance matching control, you can adjust the volume however and whenever you like without being stuck at one volume.

Reactions: Scoot163

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.