Engine and Ambulance on scene of a medical

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
South Haven Fire Department, Indiana

Engine 2711 and Rescue 2761 on scene. I drove 2711 on this one. Thought I'd take some video while waiting for the crews to package the patient.

ai946.photobucket.com_albums_ad309_emt_micah_Emergency_20LIghtcdcdbdaca2105f330556a1ddab3e3c33.jpg

ai946.photobucket.com_albums_ad309_emt_micah_Emergency_20LIghtab1f8212a94a51970326b5d47d6fdfe1.jpg

And a little video of "my" truck at the Haven. This is our ambulance chasing/manpower hauling/brush fire extinguishing Squad Truck.

ai946.photobucket.com_albums_ad309_emt_micah_Emergency_20LIght7068482d4687c7dc9fb53ff7708afa4f.jpg

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
I hate it when people leave their lights on in neighborhoods, especially on medical calls. Obviously there are a couple exceptions, but usually it offers no benefit and just attracts attention to the fact that a neighbor is sick and we should all watch from our windows to see who it is.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
NYBLS said:
I hate it when people leave their lights on in neighborhoods, especially on medical calls. Obviously there are a couple exceptions, but usually it offers no benefit and just attracts attention to the fact that a neighbor is sick and we should all watch from our windows to see who it is.

I love it, especially when people ask you to. Leave them off - please respond no lights no siren.

No, if it's not an emergency, please call someone else.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
WS224 said:
I love it, especially when people ask you to. Leave them off - please respond no lights no siren.

No, if it's not an emergency, please call someone else.

So you turn on the lights in the persons neighborhood? Why stress out the already stressed/sick patient? It offers minimal benefit.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
NYBLS said:
So you turn on the lights in the persons neighborhood? Why stress out the already stressed/sick patient? It offers minimal benefit.
No, we turn them on when we are leaving the station.

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
NYBLS said:

I love it when people troubleshoot my post and second guess my agency's SOPs when the whole point is just to show blinky lights. ;)

medic340

Dec 18, 2011
USA, OK
We respond to all calls emergency status we do not turn our lights or sirens off until arriving on scene. And the lights stay on once on scene.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
NYBLS said:

I usually leave mine on. Seattle has some horrible streets and you will get on scene and be like "its 3 am and this is a small residential street i think i will turn my lights off." Next thing you know you can't load your patient because you now have a line of cars stacked behind your ambulance. If your lucky they wont be honking. Happens all the time so the lights stay on.

I like the squad that is a nice truck.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
My favorite thing is when there is a major incident.... road shut down.

Every single police car parked with the lights off... every single fire apparatus parked with the lights on.

Not saying one is better than the other... I just enjoy the juxtaposition.

;)

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
emt.micah said:
I love it when people troubleshoot my post and second guess my agency's SOPs when the whole point is just to show blinky lights. ;)

Some of the best discussions on this forum are a total off shoot of the original post.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
medic340 said:
We respond to all calls emergency status we do not turn our lights or sirens off until arriving on scene. And the lights stay on once on scene.

I understand using them enroute, obviously this makes sense. But why, unless you are centered in a major city with a large traffic problem do you leave them on for all calls?

Bullets

Mar 14, 2012
New Jersey
medic340 said:

This is a terrible policy and one that exposes you, your crew, and the motoring public to extra risk of collision and resulting injury or death

L&S should be used based on the nature of the call, once on scene unless your blocking traffic or posing a road hazard they should be off. There is no reason to keep lights on in a residential neighborhood at night otherwise. Leaving your lights on just because you have them, or having an attitude of "call someone else" reflects immaturity

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Bullets said:
Leaving your lights on just because you have them, or having an attitude of "call someone else" reflects immaturity

The same could be said for someone who accuses others of immaturity just because he thinks his way is the right way and everyone else is wrong.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.