FDIC 2013 - AdvantEdge Lightbar is Back?

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Jman423 said:
Great pictures and video.... FAIL on the bar :duh:

That bar is lame. My fear is that once the last real light bulb is gone some nature group will prove LED's ('for plural diodes) are keeping the birds awake or something more insidious and horrible, the whales, OMG maybe even the fooking bees~!

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
Saw it today again at the Westchester County Fleet and Equipment Demo Day

Great pictures and video. I don't know about the bar and new light heads. I mean I have only seen them a few times and likes them but Whelen is very indicative and a great company so who knows they might take the ball and run with it and these new light heads and bars might be awesome. Give it time people new things that make their way into the field will show flaws but will be fixed and made better as the field use is greater.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
great video. the rear sync kicks ass, but the lightbar sucks. what a lame-ass pattern to pick to demo that bar. gotta love the purple fail on the rear of the bar too.

strobenj

Jul 16, 2010
Clifton, NJ
When I saw it the patterns were set much different and better. The rotators were rotating (not oscillating) and the center was on a fast oscillating pattern (TCL) which looked great.

Not sure why they changed the patterns to what is in this video. Really doesn't look that good compared to what I saw at the NYC Show.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Storm4200 said:
great video. the rear sync kicks ass, but the lightbar sucks. what a lame-ass pattern to pick to demo that bar. gotta love the purple fail on the rear of the bar too.

Not the best pattern, but we have no idea the circumstances. Keep in mind this isn't an official video. This is one minute in time captured by one person. I think it shows great potential. I could care less about which pattern they demo-ed... although I agree it's not the best of what the bar can do. What I like is exactly that..... what the bar can do... effectively sim-rotate and sim-oscillate... The speed and pattern can be changed.... the "pop" of a rotator is there and it's undeniable. Imagine a 4500 bar with 4 of these in white.... talk about a good TCL replacement. The fact that these sim-rotators/oscillators are here means the TLC isn't dead... and that's enough for me.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Yeah you're right. I really didnt take the circumstances into consideration. I wasn't thinking about the fact that there's probably 100s of different modes. I really wanna see it in person. I'm sure I'll be sold.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
As I said before, it would have been more effective if they outside were sped up to be the same as the clearing light...but seeing as it is a demo vehicle, they could have set it up like that just to show it off

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
I'm in Ocean City, MD for the Maryland State Firemen's Association convention, and Mobile Fleet is repreaenting Whelen. They have a Mini Freedom with at least three of the simulated rotators, as well as a 4500 series with two of them and three 700s.

I've been looking at them long and hard, and I think it could work, but the patterns leave a lot to be desired, from what I've seen. I think that a faster oscillating pattern (sweep versus rotate) and maybe even a negative rotating (instead of having one column of LEDs on at a time, all but one would be on. The off column would appear to travel, just as the on column does now) could be useful.

I also think that these, installed in a 4500 series, could be great for off axis lighting.

I'd even sugggest a larger frame to allow for some work lights beneath.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I want to do this:

tclsimrot.jpg

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I don't like the end reds....AT ALL. I really like the center rotator but I think they are far more suited for the 4500 series ambulance bars. I also think the stand alone beacons are outstanding.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I suppose it is time for this old dog to chime in....

Before you POO POO the idea of the Simu-Rotation... consider the following thoughts...

1. Take a Rotating beacon bar... Model 11 for instance... add directional "Can Lights"... the "Can Lights" will outshine the rotators ALL DAY long when viewed from directly in fornt/back of the bar.... add that to the fact that the CORNER modules on a Freedom and a Liberty are not effective to the front or rear in relation to the 400/500 series directional heads...

2. What you Nay-Sayers are forgetting is NOT what you are seeing, it is what you AREN'T seeing... I am very much looking forward to seeing the light beams on the Simu-Rotator bars as they reflect off of buildings, signs in the area. That is one thing that LED flashers can't do.

I for one am looking very much forward to being able to play with this technology. I am VERY happy that Whelen has made this available in the Freedom platform. I personally like the Freedom more than the Liberty, but THAT is a whole other subject.

I think there is going to be a resurgence of "Simple Is Better" when it comes to EV lighting. Slower patterns etc...

but that is just my $0.02

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
JohnMarcson said:

Since the old dogs are off the porch, I agree with Dave on all counts..... :thumbsup:

And I ask the pack..? Can these be synched in opposing directions..?

Could I take a pair and create a new school pierce alert ....?!!?!!!

Drooling, and fearing the cost!!..... :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.