FDNY Battalion 18 with Blue Lights

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Its about time they put Blue in the rear. It looks like they added a vertex on the grill for intersection and Ions as grill lights instead of 700.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Looks good, I think the two vertexes on the grille are a waist. I'm surprise it doesn't have a Vision SLR, because I know the Safety Battalion does.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
VolEms said:
Its about time they put Blue in the rear. It looks like they added a vertex on the grill for intersection and Ions as grill lights instead of 700.

Agreed, wasnt sure if they were ions or what. Also looks like they got rid of the 700 5mm's on the rear - and most importantly, they appear synced

IshyFlynn

Feb 8, 2012
Maine
Black Hoe said:
They need MORE BLUE in the rear!

What's with all that amber?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
IshyFlynn said:
What's with all that amber?
Maybe because it's the right color for rear lighting?

Not too shabby, apart from the Vertices. :thumbsup:

lightsrus

Jun 20, 2010
Hudson Valley
lafd55 said:
Nothing wrong with amber.
Couldn't agree more, too much blue is just blinding.

VolEms said:
It looks like FDNY is trying out the Vision SLR. Im sure Whelen is not too happy about it.
They'll be fine, just think of all the new money they make off the message bars. The department is testing different slr's on a few rigs, the fire ones are nypd spec and the ems command units have no blue.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i like the new odyssey fdny GMC's, but i can't stand the vertexes being using for intersection warning....for the cost of 2 vertexes, they could've gone with a 700 series or M7 (10x more effective than tiny surface-mount vertexes on the fenders)

G1159

May 23, 2010
Southern New England
Been an Odyssey customer for some years, outstanding workmanship and craftsmanship.

I'd really like to see more video of the Federal SLR in the daylight with the different colors. Something to be said for a piece of fire apparatus with rotating lights on it, call me a purist. Federal has done the fire service right by keeping with tradition (Mechanical Q tones on new smart sirens, etc.) What's better is a rotator that has effectiveness/brightness of a linear LED newer generation product with ability to be versatile enough to change color for the situation and turn into a traffic director, etc.

In those terms Whelen and FS are apples and oranges, one isn't better than the other, just two different schools of thought.

Just some related comments to the thread.

None the less, sharp truck.

Sidenote: I found vertexes to have an uncanny effective sharp effectiveness to being surface mounted, one wouldn't expect it vs. a larger surface area lighthead, but theuy have a piercing effect due to the light intensity focused into a small area. Again, just $0.02

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
nerdly_dood said:
Maybe because it's the right color for rear lighting?

Not in New York it isn't. It's hard enough getting people to move over and slow down for red/blue. I swear they speed up when they see amber around here. You may as well be waving a f'n checkered flag.

User Name

Sep 26, 2012
Michigan
What is the purpose of using blue vs red/white anyways? Maybe then can ban sirens in that city. Of all the major cities I travel to, NYC is the worst. I think the NYPD now has blues on the rear deck now too.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
User Name said:
What is the purpose of using blue vs red/white anyways? Maybe then can ban sirens in that city. Of all the major cities I travel to, NYC is the worst. I think the NYPD now has blues on the rear deck now too.

White to the rear is a no-no.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
User Name said:
Maybe then can ban sirens in that city. Of all the major cities I travel to, NYC is the worst.

What?

G1159

May 23, 2010
Southern New England
"Maybe then can ban sirens in that city. Of all the major cities I travel to, NYC is the worst."

...Yeah those damn sires are so annoying, never mind just the annoying sirens, maybe they should just shut down emergency services there in the city. Think of all the air and noise pollution that would be eliminated. (Note the Sarcasm)

It never ceases to amaze me on this board, how the comments just become more and more unbelievable. I had to read that three times to try and make myself believe that was some sort of attempt at humor. I'm just going to tell myself it was and move on.

**Note: In the event that wasn't an attempt at humor, I find that comment disrespectful (to say the least) to the men, women, and families of those who have given their lives in duty in the 5 boroughs, especially those on 9/11.

Reverting to the thread at hand: "Nice Rig"

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
G1159 said:
"Maybe then can ban sirens in that city. Of all the major cities I travel to, NYC is the worst."

...Yeah those damn sires are so annoying, never mind just the annoying sirens, maybe they should just shut down emergency services there in the city. Think of all the air and noise pollution that would be eliminated. (Note the Sarcasm)

It never ceases to amaze me on this board, how the comments just become more and more unbelievable. I had to read that three times to try and make myself believe that was some sort of attempt at humor. I'm just going to tell myself it was and move on.

**Note: In the event that wasn't an attempt at humor, I find that comment disrespectful (to say the least) to the men, women, and families of those who have given their lives in duty in the 5 boroughs, especially those on 9/11.

Reverting to the thread at hand: "Nice Rig"

Calm your tits, it never ceases to amaze me at how quickly people like you jump down someones throat on this board. I hope you feel good you got those two likes for making him feel like a jackass. Boy, You showed him, with that big thought out response and that bullshit that it disrespects 9-11 families. Its a board about warning lights. Keep it that way.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
C420sailor said:
Not in New York it isn't. It's hard enough getting people to move over and slow down for red/blue. I swear they speed up when they see amber around here. You may as well be waving a f'n checkered flag.

Yes, but with red/blue instead of speeding up, people just slam into the back of emergency vehicles.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
For me personally, I'm not a fan of blue on fire/ems apparatus/squads what so ever. That's just me. I understand, and agree with the reasoning, I'm just not a fan. Then again, I live in Indiana where blue is firefighter POV, which I love the look of blue lights, but red is for fire/ems. That's how it is, and that's how it should be. I would love for the state to amend the blue light law to red. Also, it would make it a HELL of a lot easier to buy things on here since most of the country uses red for POV.

All in all, the setup on the new vehicles they're getting is very sharp and clean. I have no complaints on anything.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Yeah it is weird to see blue on a fire vehicle. Even being from New Jersey, Ive always associated blue with police or Volunteer fire POVs. And out here only police have blue. We had to retro fit a few of our prevention vehicles with blue because they are law enforcement, just looks weird to have half blue half red light bars on a vehicle that says CAL FIRE.

So what is the technical reason for adding blue???

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
Captain4164 said:
Yeah it is weird to see blue on a fire vehicle. Even being from New Jersey, Ive always associated blue with police or Volunteer fire POVs. And out here only police have blue. We had to retro fit a few of our prevention vehicles with blue because they are law enforcement, just looks weird to have half blue half red light bars on a vehicle that says CAL FIRE.

Studies show drunks didn't like running into the back of things with flashing blue.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Captain4164 said:

Studies show that it is more visible than red lights at night. Studies or not, it certainly sticks out like a sore thumb when you've got thousands of sets of red brake lights in front of you in a traffic jam, plus hundreds of red flashing lights on the fire trucks that are blocking traffic... all you need is one good blue light to light up the night. Two for good measure and symmetry... more than that is unnecessary for a single vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.