Federal Electric Co. Model Z Traffic Master siren (with and without light!) update 7/29/2019!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Interesting look. Looks like a W or E size siren. I have searched ads, articles, books, everything I can find and have never seen a mention of a Z. Letters I have found are C, E, O, Q, V, W, X, and Y. Like all of Federals numbering or markings there is no sense to what letter they used. Very curious.

Looking at the patent tsquale listed above. It says the patent is for the "ornamental design" and a "combined light siren". I know the "Y" added to a siren ID was for the SoloRay Light. So maybe the Z represents the light or the ornamental grill design. I wonder if there is a ZG. Looking at the date of the patent 1936, this may be the very first siren/light combination.

The Federal XL was 1937 and the Traffik King was much later at 1946.

You may have a truly important piece of Light/Siren history there !

Reactions: tsquale

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
The puzzle continues. Found this flyer from 1937 on eBay and paid a premium for it. I'll eventually get the whole thing scanned in and posted in the catalog thread.

IMG_20170523_194356973.jpg IMG_20170523_194458380.jpg

Reactions: stlfireman

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Major update folks! I am now the proud owner of a model Z with the light as well! This is the fourth one that I know exists. I found it on the bay, missing the light. I was able to source a light that was visibly similar to the one used in the brochure I posted. I was not able to source the light (Dietz) that I have seen on the others in existence. It is a bit rough compared to the Z without a light that I have.

zl1.jpgzl2.jpgzl3.jpgzl4.jpgz5.jpgz6.jpg

Cone prior to elbow grease...

z7.jpg

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I think that the one with a light has a better tone and wind down than the one without, even though it's in poor condition. Regardless, I don't think it's something that a bit of elbow grease wouldn't fix. Excellent find, it looks almost identical to the one in the brochure.

Reactions: tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.