Federal Enterprises FS-2 on eBay, legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
I have been watching this auction on eBay, and was wondering if the thing is legit. According to the seller (Yardleydog) it may be a mash-up; if that is so, I wonder what a FS-2 actually was. I'll post the link to the ebay listing, but for purposes of discussion, it looks like the top half of a 17-A, with four fixed (not rotating) sealed beams on a flasher. Regardless of who the seller is, it's an interesting light, even if it is a frankenbeacon.

Here's your link http://www.ebay.com/itm/192109347865?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Edit: found this in the Vintage Catalogs section
http://elightbars-internal-data.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/03/108467_64a50bb25e0857741df2e9bbb57020f0.jpg

The FS 2 was a single-face light in a chrome bucket. So this badge was scavenged and placed on a home-brew mishmash of parts. "A" for imagination!

Last edited:
Reactions: StEaLtH2

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Dan is correct. The FS2 was a single-faced Chrome version of the LL4. If you look closely, the tag condition on this light does not correspond to the chrome condition on which it is mounted. If the chrome is scratched, how come the tag isn't scratched as well. In addition, the dome gasket is new. AND, Like Dan said, those bulb holders are not Federal nor is the hardware used to mount the flasher, its wiring and the plate its mounted-to. There are a few other issues as well but suffice it to say it's fabbed. Good from far but far from good. It's a "20-footer" as my body-shop buddy would say...

How does that old saying go? You can fool some of the people some of the time...

If he is trying to portray it as old, he did a good job with the one sealed-beam you can see. That's older w/ the center magnifying lens in the middle...

The other option is that this may be a VERY old version of a hacker's work. Who knows, it may have been put-together many moons ago with parts someone had laying around, back in the day... I'm going with my previous analogy, though...

Looks like a crack at one of those Dominion units from days gone by!

Reactions: StEaLtH2

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
Any info on the Federal Model O mentioned in the comments of that auction?

Not a question, but possibly an answer. In the old days, Federal Signal marketed a four-light stationary alternate-pair-flashing emergency light that they called the "Model O". That was in the early 1960's. This was a budget-priced dome light that mounted flush on the roof (no chrome skirt) with a dome that was more than square than rounded. It seemed to turn up on a lot of military ambulances sold to the Department of Defense. Not being a true Beacon Ray limited its effectiveness, but any light is better than no light at an accident scene. This is my best guess. Good luck with your auction!

Clearly this particular light is something cobbled together, but this Model O mentioned sounds something like the McDermott Circle Light. Never seen of heard of it before.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Federal made the Model "O" mechanical sired. I've been around and collecting for many years, and do not recall a Model "O" light.
The only light that I remember by federal that comes close to the above description was the Model 44. It was 4 stationary bulbs set up and flashing in the same housing as the Model 14 rotating light.

Reactions: OliverD

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Federal did not make a model O beacon. Like Dan said, the model "044" is the closest looking model number to the aforementioned light.

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
Thanks for the info on the 044. Not much out there, but did find a video.

It does resemble the light from ebay. I know that was almost certainly a frankenlight, but would be a cool score if it turns out it was a prototype of the 044. Kind of a neat light either way.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Thanks for the info on the 044. Not much out there, but did find a video.

It does resemble the light from ebay. I know that was almost certainly a frankenlight, but would be a cool score if it turns out it was a prototype of the 044. Kind of a neat light either way.

Defintiely not a prototype with Whelen internal parts LOL!!

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
I did read the description when it was first posted, but forgot about the mention of Whelen parts. Mixed brands is a pretty reliable indicator of something cobbled together. Looking for silver linings, I did learn about an entirely unknown (to me) light with that 044.

NESQ115

Jan 21, 2012
New York
Dominion Auto in Canada made a four-way alternating flasher with a Beacon Ray-shaped dome and black base. The Montreal Police used it from c.1961 - 1973.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.