Federal Q discovery

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So I have managed to get my hands on a Federal Model Q Siren. And that is about all I know about it.

Looking for a crash course, it has no tag, was mounted flush so no pedestal or engine housing. Does have a Brake and I have been hesitant to power it up because its likely to take off if I don't secure it somehow.

My understanding is that if it was a Q1B there would be a tag on the motor since it was supposed to be flush mount. This is probably a Q2B and the engine cover and pedestal have been lost to the sands of time.

Pardon the crappy pictures..
Q2B.jpg

Q2B2.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2010
Western Montana
I had a couple of Q2B's briefly from a collection purchase, but not being a siren collector, moved them on fairly quickly. However, I did power one up for grins and giggles, and when I came back the next day, it was still spooling down (never figured out how to activate the brake)!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I assume provide power to the little wire.. have yet to test it. Neighbors already love me for my automotive projects.. this should be a hoot.

• Haha
Reactions: ccsd834
Mine was a flush mount as well. FedSig dubbed those Qs as Q2BF (for flush mount) and usually put the label on the motor housing. It is also possible to mount a standard foot to the motor (beware to use the proper length bolts as not to damage the motor), and a rear shroud or motor cover. Power to the motor is via the large stud on the side of the motor. The smaller wire is for the brake…apply 12v to activate. I use 12v solenoids to activate the siren for display. I live in the country, so no neighbors to annoy. ;-)

My display:
IMG_6665.jpeg
The solenoids are mounted to the particle board to stabilize the siren during wind up.
IMG_6663.jpeg IMG_6661.jpeg IMG_6662.jpegIMG_6664.jpeg
My control box. Bottom row of buttons is for the siren, brake button above. The switch is to power the PropelloRay on the 78B.
IMG_6666.jpeg

Last edited:
A little trivia, the Q in the late 50s/early 60s had a three bolt base. The brake was mounted in the foot/base. Later (70s?), FedSig went to a 4-bolt base with the brake still in the base. When they came out with the flush mount, the brake was moved to the side of the motor and would not interfere with the motor cover for the Q2Bs, and they went back to the 3-bolt base. The hole in the stator for the foot-mounted brake brake was never changed (as far as I’m aware…mine still has the hole for the base brake).

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Updates, the weather has been craptacular as of late.. so with a break comes me annoying the neighborhood.

Federal Q2B.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
By having on its face, you’re getting a lot less sound, and you miss some of the frequencies that give the Q a rich, penetrating tone...that could have been heard for a 5 block radius (easily). :)

If I recollect correctly, it draws ~800 amps on initial startup and produces a gazillion db at 10’.
Kinda the point, it was pretty loud as it was. With no mount or way to secure it any other way was impossible.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
By having on its face, you’re getting a lot less sound, and you miss some of the frequencies that give the Q a rich, penetrating tone...that could have been heard for a 5 block radius (easily). :)

If I recollect correctly, it draws ~800 amps on initial startup and produces a gazillion db at 10’.
To my ears they sound better on older emergency vehicles. They don't get as much juice from the old electrical systems and therefore sound better at lower speeds. A Q running at top speed on a modern fire engine screeches something awful.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng
I was riding officer on our rescue truck (w/ 200 amp Leece Neville alternator) to an overturned vehicle with rescue, and started riding the Q as the driver started pulling a hill (Engine at high revs). The siren was winding up tight and slowly faded out…Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! I hit the brake and it faded back into our hearing range. I’m sure it caused pain for many canines in the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.