FedSig New Product - 04.10.14

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
CHIEFOPS said:
Looks too oversized for mounting on a sedan, suv or van roof, that's why the aero, jet or streethawk chassis would be better choices, or even a bar with the vision pod profile

I disagree, it is a good size for SUV and van use. I think we have grown to accustomed to low profile bars. While the Navigator might disrupt air flow over the roof a bit, I doubt it would reduce more than a tenth of a gallon of mpgs. And I do not think anyone is fooled by low profile bars, they are just as noticeable as a larger profile bar, when off.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
emtanderson51 said:
They're all "notoriously expensive". The big 3 are not marketing to you nor me. If STL or Feinex offered products like this they would also be "notoriously expensive". This bar, for fire apparatus applications IMHO is a "home run" for FS. It offers a fresh feel, is loaded with updated technology, and will be priced competitively with the Freedom series of lightbars. If it is too expensive to purchase by a volly to strap on his/her 1985 F250 I truly do not think that makes it a failure. This is why there is such a huge used market that is, in my estimation, a 5+ million dollar a year industry. Probably double or triple that.

I agree that they are all expensive. But a $2,000+ lightbar is out of reach for most agencies, especially on the LEO side where they have to outfit so many vehicles. There is no way departments in my area could afford to outfit a vehicle with a SLR, Valor, or possibly even this new bar. Freedoms are rare, and normally when they are around, they aren't fully populated. I understand that they aren't marketing to you and I, but I still think that the costs associated with most bars on today's market are astronomical. From my experience, which is no where near yours I am sure, FS has normally been the most expensive player on the market. I am interested to see what this bar will cost, but I don't expected it to replace what's already being used simply because of how much I expect it to cost.

Setup as a pure linear bar with the lightheads, I could see it being on point with a Freedom. But when you start adding in SLR pods, which is what makes this bar stand apart, I expect costs to rise exponentially.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I see this bar replacing the current escape series, which is still available. The escape bar design is actually very old, over 15 years. First marketed in Europe as the "P7000, then 8000 and now 9000 series". It was renamed for the US market as the escape. It never really took off here though, as the design was too similar to the edge series. Now, I just gotta get my hands on one, lol! Oh Mark...........!

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
firefighter7017 said:
I heard they scrapped the toaster idea in favor of this bar. A company executive was quoted as saying "The lighting world is not yet ready for a light bar that is capable of making toast. When they are ready, we will bring it to them."

Too bad JDI will beat them to the punch on the toaster thing.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Ok since everyone is talking about the toaster thing, I gotta chime in and let you guys know that FEDERAL did make toasters at one time. They made them back in the teens when they were still Federal electric Co.

Reactions: SEPD_52

Iowamedic2013

Feb 14, 2014
Bellevue Iowa
ERIC6913 said:
Ok since everyone is talking about the toaster thing, I gotta chime in and let you guys know that FEDERAL did make toasters at one time. They made them back in the teens when they were still Federal electric Co.

Indeed..while this is not hers my grandmother still has the first toaster they ever got and it was a federal..sadly no lights or q sound

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397362822.718818.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397362833.327623.jpg

Reactions: SEPD_52

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
I still like my Idea, rotator on each end X cascade mirrors / LED front,rear flashers- TD's near center/ center smart rotator with two V mirrors. would make it in-xpencive. Like a MODERN Twinsonic/jetstream.. Add color change and loaded the price goes up..

With the new tech of using more on smaller platforms seems smart... But as others have said it will cost an arm and a leg + the Exwife.... lol :thumbsup:

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I'm waiting for C3 to catch up on this technology.

MX7000 RESURRECTION!!!!

That's for the win right there.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
SeattleSAR said:
I'm waiting for C3 to catch up on this technology.

MX7000 RESURRECTION!!!!

That's for the win right there.

code3 takes a while to catch up to all the new ideas. They just finished their version of the rumbler, called the banshee.

ECCO has rotating led technology, so who knows, maybe next year they will release a rotating led lightbar.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
SeattleSAR said:
Too bad JDI will beat them to the punch on the toaster thing.

You are probably right. But we also know that JDI's toasters burn so fast and so hot, they toast everything within a 50 mile radius. It's like a nuke without the fallout.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
bluestinger90 said:
code3 takes a while to catch up to all the new ideas. They just finished their version of the rumbler, called the banshee.

ECCO has rotating led technology, so who knows, maybe next year they will release a rotating led lightbar.

That may be, but imho, well worth the wait. What was arguably the best two tier warning platform brought back into the modern world with new led technology will make for one hell of a bar. We all remember how customizable they are, so I think something like that has the potential to really take the market by storm.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
SeattleSAR said:
That may be, but imho, well worth the wait. What was arguably the best two tier warning platform brought back into the modern world with new led technology will make for one hell of a bar. We all remember how customizable they are, so I think something like that has the potential to really take the market by storm.

I'm actually surprised that bars like the MX 7000 are still in production. I think dual-level lightbars such as that are pretty much a relic of the past. Most single-level bars have dual-color technology, and "taller" bars such as the Freedom and the Navigator also have options to separate upper and lower level warning within each module.

Isn't Code 3 coming out with the Corona? That's basically two levels of the Solex. I wonder what the dimensions of the Corona are, especially compared to the Navigator, the Freedom and even the MX 7000.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I'm not surprised. While the current MX platform still relies on Halogen rotators, is very user friendly, very easy to maintain/replace bulbs, and is a low cost, quality option for departments on tight budgets, or persons who do volunteer work. Obviously, they're still selling, so no reason to axe the line.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
firefighter7017 said:
You are probably right. But we also know that JDI's toasters burn so fast and so hot, they toast everything within a 50 mile radius. It's like a nuke without the fallout.

Although the fallout is not radioactive, it is still fallout. We refer to it simply as "crumbs".

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
CHIEFOPS said:
Finally the right idea but poor application.

It's a dual level (equivalent) bar for a fire apparatus. How is that a "poor application"? .

This is a bar designed specifically for fire apparatus, which is why it's available in lengths up to 84". It's not designed for cars, but if you want to put one on a car, go ahead.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
jdh said:
Im not sure about the rest of you, but, wasn't the idea behind LED's is to omit moving parts????

Who said that? The idea was to get away from the exceedingly high amp draw of the halogen bulb. Pulling 100+ amps in a fully loaded 84" lightbar is a tad much. No one ever said anything about omitting rotors. It's all about effects. Those SLR heads offer more features than any other lighthead on the market.

Tony

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
leftcoastmark said:
It's not designed for cars, but if you want to put one on a car, go ahead.

If Uncle Sugar will front the cash I'd put these on cars! Unfortunatly Uncle Sugar can't even pay the bills around these parts, let alone get a LINZ6.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
jdh said:
Im not sure about the rest of you, but, wasn't the idea behind LED's is to omit moving parts????

The downside of LEDs in the "traditional" format is that you have a limited number of LEDs and you have to take that light energy and spread it as wide as possible for good off-axis warning. So on a Lin6 or Impaxx6 head, for example, you have 6 LEDs and you have to get as much off-axis light out of it as possible. Of course, you only have x amount of lumens to play with out of those LEDs, so if you spread them widely you don't get the center intensity.

It's similar to a fire hose - if you have a fog pattern, you don't get much forward distance. If you have a stream/jet type pattern, you get lots of distance but very little coverage.

Now picture 12 LEDs, and focus them into a 10 (or so) degree wide beam. SUPER bright as you have the light of all 12 LEDs focused down that tight pipe. The problem is getting off-axis warning out of that. Ok, well let's rotate the light to get the off-axis. You get the best of both worlds. And, zero maintenance and lower amp draw.

Rotators {arguably} still provide the best warning patterns. They have a long 'dwell' time and a great 'snap' to them, and they provide great depth perception (to other vehicles) in nearly all conditions, something that strobe and uber-fast flashing LEDs are horrible at.

This is why the SLR beacon can meet Cal. Title 13 Table 2 (minimum 12,500 candela-seconds) where something like the L31 beacon, which is still one on the brighter beacons on the market, only meets Table 4 (125 candela-seconds minimum requirement). Yes, the difference between Table 2 and Table 4 is 100x the intensity.

Keep in mind that the motor in the SLR is not a little hobby-style motor that manufacturers used to use in halogen lights. It is a heavy duty stepper motor taken directly from the robotics industry. Also, it's direct drive so no worm gears to lubricate or get worn out. It's a dramatically different piece of technology. Federal Signal's 5-year warranty covers the electronics AND the rotator assembly.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
CHIEFOPS said:
It's difficult to assess it's depth without something to compare it to, it's profile looks quite deep

Look at it in relation to the mounting feet....

I believe they are standard Legend mounting feet but I'm not 100% certain of that.

navigator_end view.jpg

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
ERM said:
Who said that? The idea was to get away from the exceedingly high amp draw of the halogen bulb. Pulling 100+ amps in a fully loaded 84" lightbar is a tad much. No one ever said anything about omitting rotors. It's all about effects. Those SLR heads offer more features than any other lighthead on the market.

Tony

Agreed, but I'll also add that on addition to lower amp draw, less down time was the other goal as relamping intervals were extended to 100,000 average use hours, plus a lower operating temperature, reducing the risk of fire or melting parts with extended use.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Mark,

Wasn't there a comment made earlier that FedSig was introducing two bars at the FDIC show? Also, the features the Navigator has leads me to believe that Federal is anticipating standard vehicle application. Typically speaking, you wouldn't find alleys, takedowns and SignalMasters on NFPA bars. If the Nav's dimensions are in fact similar to the Freedom, I think it'll do just fine in all markets.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
pdk9 said:
Looks like one of the heads is out already lol

Looks good though!

Not sure what your seeing or not seeing. There was not anything that was not working.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
WS224 said:
Not sure what your seeing or not seeing. There was not anything that was not working.

Left side of the bar had a dark spot

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Kevin K. said:
Mark,

Wasn't there a comment made earlier that FedSig was introducing two bars at the FDIC show? Also, the features the Navigator has leads me to believe that Federal is anticipating standard vehicle application. Typically speaking, you wouldn't find alleys, takedowns and SignalMasters on NFPA bars. If the Nav's dimensions are in fact similar to the Freedom, I think it'll do just fine in all markets.

They were also releasing an upgraded split-Vision SLR bar that had additional lighting below the main bar. I haven't seen that yet and FS doesn't seem to be too huge on marketing it's release, but that's what the Fire market manager told me. I believe they found a way to put a row of IPX6 (multi colour capable) lights below the main extrusion of the split-V. Sorry I can't give you much more than that as I just don't know any more on the subject.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Hoff said:
If Uncle Sugar will front the cash I'd put these on cars! Unfortunatly Uncle Sugar can't even pay the bills around these parts, let alone get a LINZ6.

Not only are they not paying the bills, but they've slashed peoples' Medicaid and Food Stamps to almost nothing. An elderly gentleman in my neighborhood had his Food Stamps slashed from $130 per month to a whopping $5 back in June and has had serious problems making ends meet since then. Fortunately his friends and relatives have helped a great deal.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ERM said:

Tony

I didn't realize that halogen bulbs pulled that "juice". I thought they were supposed to be less current consuming than our old fashioned sealed-beams, which did pull a good bit. Of course there's nothing like the good ol' days when our ambulances only had the standard generator and not an alternator. Step on the Q and the flashing lights quit flashing and the beacon will momentarily stand still!

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Skip Goulet said:
I didn't realize that halogen bulbs pulled that "juice". I thought they were supposed to be less current consuming than our old fashioned sealed-beams, which did pull a good bit. Of course there's nothing like the good ol' days when our ambulances only had the standard generator and not an alternator. Step on the Q and the flashing lights quit flashing and the beacon will momentarily stand still!

They did consume a lot less after they reduced the number of bulbs. :beer: :)

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
There's no way a TwinSonic-formatted version of this bar shouldn't happen. One rotator on each end, cascade mirrors (12 & 12X style) and a center section of whatever (takedowns/flashers/blanks). I'm surprised more media isn't available on this product yet. LOVE the possibilities. Especially since a loaded SLR Vision costs about 20% as much as new car.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Doug said:
Man, is it me, or is that the spitting image of a Whelen AdvantEdge frame?

I thought the same exact thing. It's pretty damned close, Doug. Especially if you drop the alley-lights from the profile of the Whelen AdvantEdge.

Untitled-1.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.