Feniex Apollo Lightbar

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Will there be an option for an Apollo / Cobra mix of heads? I think Cobra heads would be much more effective for takedown and alley lights with their optic style.
The apollo has a takedown optic for such lights just like on their interior bars

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Here's a sneak preview on the Apollo lightbar. We are excited to announce that we are getting really close to the release date. Over 400+ 4-watt LEDs, high intensity, and competitive in pricing!
Nice, so is this basically the same Apollo lightbar but with double the amt of LED diodes (now that the Apollo has 12 LEDs/module)? This will definitely be BRIGHT

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Wait a minute.

Assuming 400 4 watt leds are 200 per side means the bar will draw 70 amps in a half help pattern :eek:
I highly doubt that. A typical lighthead only draws an average of ~0.5 amps/head, so a 12 diode Apollo head probably draws ~1 amp/head.

Even strong scene lights won't draw close to 70 amps. A double pioneer, for example, only draws about 5-6 amps, and I'm betting that an entire Titan 1000 draws about the same amount of juice

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCrownie

Sep 18, 2014
Ohio, USA & Germany
I highly doubt that. A typical lighthead only draws an average of ~0.5 amps/head, so a 12 diode Apollo head probably draws ~1 amp/head.

Even strong scene lights won't draw close to 70 amps. A double pioneer, for example, only draws about 5-6 amps, and I'm betting that an entire Titan 1000 draws about the same amount of juice
I can't believe that number either but since amps = watt/volt [200 led's * 4W = 800W and 800W/12V = 70 Amps]

70 amps is what one half should theoretically draw or am I wrong with that calculation?

Two minor points I don't like about this bar.

1. I never had a Feniex product on my hands but I don't like the flash patterns on your website as much as I do like Whelens. I miss something like a SignalAlert.

2. Even though blacktop can look cool I'd prefer some polycarbonate housing like with colored domes as an option. would make the bar look a lot more elegant and less bulky.

Reactions: tsquale

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Both 49 and 60 inch bars have 34 light heads. Both 6 and 12 led heads only flash one color at a time, so I would imagine they draw .500 amps each head.

It's still a reasonable 17 amps. Feniex has listed the bar as having a 15 amp draw.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I can't believe that number either but since amps = watt/volt [200 led's * 4W = 800W and 800W/12V = 70 Amps]

70 amps is what one half should theoretically draw or am I wrong with that calculation?

Two minor points I don't like about this bar.

1. I never had a Feniex product on my hands but I don't like the flash patterns on your website as much as I do like Whelens. I miss something like a SignalAlert.

2. Even though blacktop can look cool I'd prefer some polycarbonate housing like with colored domes as an option. would make the bar look a lot more elegant and less bulky.
Hmmm..... well, Flash patterns are something that can easily be rectified....  Second.... do you evaluate the appearance of a light bar from the air? And if so, what relevance does it have? I'm lost as to why a bars appearance from the air has anything to do with it's "cool appearance". The whole point of clear domes was for stealth, so why even use the "low profile" LED's in the first place if you're going to have colored lenses? Not trying to be insulting or belittling, I just don't understand any of the arguments because that negates the whole "stealth, LED" thing.

Reactions: Tom@Feniex

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Colored domes might be an option keep in mind this is the only bar on the market with a single piece some so the entire thing will be one color if they make that an option

TheCrownie

Sep 18, 2014
Ohio, USA & Germany
Hmmm..... well, Flash patterns are something that can easily be rectified....  Second.... do you evaluate the appearance of a light bar from the air? And if so, what relevance does it have? I'm lost as to why a bars appearance from the air has anything to do with it's "cool appearance". The whole point of clear domes was for stealth, so why even use the "low profile" LED's in the first place if you're going to have colored lenses? Not trying to be insulting or belittling, I just don't understand any of the arguments because that negates the whole "stealth, LED" thing.
As I said these are minor points for me. I wouldn't mind putting a ULF44 in it and I would still buy it if I were in there market for a light bar. As for the domes I just like the classy look if a light bar is red blue or red red

Reactions: AJ3814

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
As I said these are minor points for me. I wouldn't mind putting a ULF44 in it and I would still buy it if I were in there market for a light bar. As for the domes I just like the classy look if a light bar is red blue or red red
I do agree that the colored "outers" tend to look a little better, but I'd even venture to say the "smoked" lenses would be best.... hides the sunlight reflecting off of the clear outer, and makes the bar more stealthy at the same time.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
I do agree that the colored "outers" tend to look a little better, but I'd even venture to say the "smoked" lenses would be best.... hides the sunlight reflecting off of the clear outer, and makes the bar more stealthy at the same time.
A little plasti dip on the top would do the trick. I did it with an old *cough* STL *cough* bar and it actually makes the output useful. You could even use colored PD if you wanted.

It's a $5 solution.

SFD516

May 27, 2010
Scott, Louisiana
I'm not impressed with the Flash pattern list, are there really only 22 patterns, please don't say there are more becuase technically the other patterns listed are just combinations of colors.

I was really impressed with some of the patterns on the Apollo light stick series including the interior Apollo visor light. Patterns like the Attack pattern and night rider scan are very efficient but I do not see them on the list.

I was also hoping for an option to have the entire bar do cruise light mode, even the Axitech Torrent does it not just the corners.

Other than that the bar looks great, it just seems to be a cross over of the Federal Intergrity and the Avatar.

Reactions: tsquale

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
Cruise light function is VERY useful..... I was in a "caravan" of units a couple of weeks ago running a very large "bar fight" call and used the function while we were in transit (8-10 units deep) and it was amazing. My SOS ETL 5000 lights up the outer corners and the two center modules (front and rear) for the cruise light function and it was complimented highly by everyone who responded. I lit up the bar at intersections, but put it right back on cruise function for the open road.

This is also VERY helpful in pursuits...... During pursuits, anyone except the primary unit is blinded by the cars in front of him due to the rear lights. (I don't care if the bar is on the night setting because that just takes the brightness from "fu** you" to "up yours"). A nice "pursuit function" would be to keep the front of the bar activated, but put the rear on "cruise light" function so as not to blind anyone in the pursuing convoy, then to have the whole bar activated again once the patrol unit is put in park.

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
 During pursuits, anyone except the primary unit is blinded by the cars in front of him due to the rear lights. (I don't care if the bar is on the night setting because that just takes the brightness from "fu** you" to "up yours").

Thank You for this .. ahhahahha

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and AJ3814

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Cruise light function is VERY useful..... I was in a "caravan" of units a couple of weeks ago running a very large "bar fight" call and used the function while we were in transit (8-10 units deep) and it was amazing. My SOS ETL 5000 lights up the outer corners and the two center modules (front and rear) for the cruise light function and it was complimented highly by everyone who responded. I lit up the bar at intersections, but put it right back on cruise function for the open road.

This is also VERY helpful in pursuits...... During pursuits, anyone except the primary unit is blinded by the cars in front of him due to the rear lights. (I don't care if the bar is on the night setting because that just takes the brightness from "fu** you" to "up yours"). A nice "pursuit function" would be to keep the front of the bar activated, but put the rear on "cruise light" function so as not to blind anyone in the pursuing convoy, then to have the whole bar activated again once the patrol unit is put in park.

AMEN

Actually, at night when parked on scene, the Cruise is still enough.   One vehicle with flashing lights is enough, the cruise lights identify other vehicles without blinding traffic.   Makes it easier to pick out personnel with safety vests, directing traffic, etc.  

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Time and $$$.. That would also give them 3 lightbars within 12'' of each other. 

I've only had one person request something in between so far on the preorders

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
It might be in the works though.... who knows with the Mad Scientist over there..... just not slated for this year. 

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I'm chomping at the bit to order my inner Apollo. My 4Runner doesn't have the "blue tint" at the top of the windshield so it oughtta be pretty awesome even from the inside.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I think im the only Volly firefighter in my area that has a bad ass POV set up with Feniex Apollo.

Besides the whelen fan boys that still run the old inner edge bars and paid $900 or more by local dealers still ripping people off LOL They get butt hurt when I tell them how much I paid for mine and how much MORE it does then the generic whelen inner edge bars.

LANDJET

Apr 30, 2015
Boston USA
i really hope to see Feniex figure out some better patterns, Feniex to us are top of the line, now if they would just put some better patterns into the bars and. We have torn apart some Whelen bars and rebuilt them with all Feniex LED's (T3, T6, Apollo) and it makes for some great patterns and designs but it would be nicer to have some better patterns in the bars themselves. The Attack mode pattern is very cool, Knight Rider i think is a tad bit too fast, if it could be slowed just slightly it might be more appealing, but those are the only real patterns, all the rest are just flash modes.  

SFD516

May 27, 2010
Scott, Louisiana
i really hope to see Feniex figure out some better patterns, Feniex to us are top of the line, now if they would just put some better patterns into the bars and. We have torn apart some Whelen bars and rebuilt them with all Feniex LED's (T3, T6, Apollo) and it makes for some great patterns and designs but it would be nicer to have some better patterns in the bars themselves. The Attack mode pattern is very cool, Knight Rider i think is a tad bit too fast, if it could be slowed just slightly it might be more appealing, but those are the only real patterns, all the rest are just flash modes.  

They just updated the manual for the Apollo exterior lightbar on their web page, it does now include attack and night ride in the pattern list. I'm very pleased to see that. 

image.jpg

Reactions: sheazle and AJ3814

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
Look what came in the mail today! 

It was super sunny out today so I hooked it up to see how bright it is. This is a 49" dual color Apollo with the 12-LED heads.

I am very happy with the brightness. We will definitely be using the dim mode for nighttime use. I'm also glad they decided to add the "Attack" pattern to the list. It really pops. I'm going to program it to come on with the "Yelp" and "Piercer" buttons on the 4200 for overtaking and intersection clearing. It's not going on this truck, we're installing it on the Chief's Tahoe this afternoon.

I have a couple of notes/suggestions about how this bar actually operates:

• Front cut also cuts the sides. - I was hoping to keep the sides flashing when using both front and rear cut together, similar to how I understand the corner modules operated on the Avatar
  • This bar has "Flood" mode, all front and side modules have white as the secondary color. You have the option to program flood mode to be front only, front and sides, rear only, rear and sides, or whole bar using the pattern change wire, which is nice because the rear modules have amber secondary and if they are in flood mode it overrides the traffic advisor.
  • I was hoping to be able to "flood" the front, left, and right sides independently using the takedown steady and L/R alley steady wires. These wires do nothing on this particular bar setup. This would be a nice option to have.
Overall I'm very happy with it so far, I can't wait to get it installed and see how it works on the road.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Looks good, I like the look of the "Attack" pattern, I seems to be just a the right speed. It also, from this video, appears that the sun is not affecting the output much, if at all.  Looking forward to seeing more on it!

schuebox42

Aug 3, 2016
Mount Union, PA
It might be in the works though.... who knows with the Mad Scientist over there..... just not slated for this year.
A mid size bar would be nice. The Chinese company's have bar sizes between from mini up through full size..where as the big company's have just mini and full size. You see a pile of volunteers running the Chinese mid size bars...could be a market for them to venture in to.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
A mid size bar would be nice. The Chinese company's have bar sizes between from mini up through full size..where as the big company's have just mini and full size. You see a pile of volunteers running the Chinese mid size bars...could be a market for them to venture in to.

Many companies do offer mid-size bars (i.e. SOS, tomar, etc), but it's just not economically feasible for dealers to stock them b/c they're not high-demand items, and the reason many vollies get the China versions is b/c the brand name mid-size bars are usually out of their limited budgets.
Also, Feniex is a relatively small, newer company that is trying to simplify their production model, and having multiple lightbar chassis lengths (besides the 2 main lengths) prob isn't in the path that they're currently looking to take

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.