Fire Truck Testing in the Dunes! ADDED VIDEO

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Last edited by a moderator:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
The forward facing array of warning equipment, long range driving lights, and utility lighting is VERY impressive.

Reactions: 7d9_z28

Jul 14, 2014
NV
That's one tiny cab. Wait until they try to put structure and wildland gear bags in there.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
That's one tiny cab. Wait until they try to put structure and wildland gear bags in there.
It does give the advantage of a short wheelbase.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
It wouldn't look so bad if it didn't have a raised cab.  Regardless, you would have to do a LOT of convincing to get me to believe that a high-center-of-gravity truck with hundreds of gallons of water over the frame rails would be REMOTELY stable off-road.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Added link to a facebook page with video of it testing in the dunes, cant figure out how to embed it here.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It wouldn't look so bad if it didn't have a raised cab. Regardless, you would have to do a LOT of convincing to get me to believe that a high-center-of-gravity truck with hundreds of gallons of water over the frame rails would be REMOTELY stable off-road.
I'm not a fan of having something top-heavy on an unstable surface, but you definitely need to have a raised cab for something like this that's going to be going in dunes and off-roading. I also don't imagine it having more than a 200-250 gal booster tank.

The lighting package sucks. I do like the powerarc effect, but I personally would only spec them as a grill light (not rear or side perimeter or for lightbars) b/c I think they're super pricey and think flashing surface-mount lights are more effective than oscillating-type lights. I also think that the volt is the ugliest lightbar in the world. The XT isn't bad though (but I wish they oscillated faster like the MX sweeps)

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Don't forget the FF operating the gun, strapped down to the deck by his/ her boots.  (Think the guitar player in Mad Max.)

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
(Think the guitar player in Mad Max.)
So they have the guitar hooked up to a water tank instead of a fuel tank? Or are they gonna use him for large-scale somewhat-controlled burns?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
He's just providing the music to spur on their firefighting efforts.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
post-18710-0-05296900-1435283221.jpg

The "item snagger" hoses that are used to inflate and deflate the tires are not firefighter proof IMHO.  And why would you put one of the last type of lights with moving parts on a truck for off road/sand dunes?  This calls for the flushest fitting lowest profile lights you can get, these are cool, but the opposite.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
You know, I had thought there HAS to be a better way to setup a central tire inflation system, the older Hummers didn't have big ass hoses sticking way out. I do not know for sure if thats a final decision or just prototype for now, but as for the PowerArcs.... HME sure loves their PowerArcs, despite being about 25 minutes or so from SoundOff. As per their facebook page, it appears at least half the trucks they build have them.

Methinks I need to see if HME does facility tours, or if they are hiring. Cause they are not terribly far from me, and all said and done I still love this truck!

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
Hey, I took those pictures! lol

The tire inflation system on this truck was a prototype.  Over all it got around decent, they have some work to do with tires and pressure before it's perfect.  I was able to drive it around for about 45 minutes and was impressed.  Mostly because I was driving that in the sand dunes.  It has 500 gallons of water onboard but did not have any other equipment.  Once weighted down I'm sure it would struggle a bit more trying to climb the soft hills.  But on the more level areas it would still do great.  

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
I've driven bucket trucks when I was a mechanic for the power company that had air systems like that called airboss. The 2wd with the airboss system had a few axleshafts replaced because it tried pulling out a stuck 4wd that didn't have the system lol

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Hey, I took those pictures! lol

The tire inflation system on this truck was a prototype.  Over all it got around decent, they have some work to do with tires and pressure before it's perfect.  I was able to drive it around for about 45 minutes and was impressed.  Mostly because I was driving that in the sand dunes.  It has 500 gallons of water onboard but did not have any other equipment.  Once weighted down I'm sure it would struggle a bit more trying to climb the soft hills.  But on the more level areas it would still do great.  

Awesome! I work at HME now, but I have yet to see an HXR in the shop or on the property. We are currently building a boatload of International crew cab 4x4s for CALFIRE.

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I'm sorry but the lighting on this truck is just awful. That has to be the most ineffective application of PowerArcs I've seen. Honestly I'm not the biggest fan to begin with but watching this only reinforced my opinion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.