Flashe sticks ?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Federal light stick array, came in numerous lengths, with colored filter options. Collectible, but not highly collectible from what I can see, so not super pricey. I'd say worth is up to how bad a buyer wants what you have vs. what you have into them. I can't put a price on them, sorry.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Came out in 1988, using the jet series filters. No longer offered in 1993.

d1 1988 2.pngd1 1988.pngd1 1990 1.JPG

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you guys think flashback inside the vehicle is bad now, these things came out during a time where there was no such thing (coplite is an exception) as a flash shield around dash lights and deck lights. While windshields might not have been as curved, they still weren't straight up and down. I've seen this particular product used as both a rear deck and a front headliner mounted device. Because they are inherently "dumb / remote", sometimes the three or four lamp model was used with a clear light as a takedown.

The deckblaster from code 3 and the single dashmaster from Whelen technically had flashback shields close to this time frame (a bit later) but neither was incredibly effective. The deckblaster actually had a function where the halogen one allowed you to flip the colored lens down and use it as a front scene light or take down. Even as late as the dashmiser models (replaced dashmaster) with a takedowns were common without the use of a flashback shield.

I'm not sure these federal directors were technically bright enough to be used as a California steady burn (35w, I suppose you could swap in a 50w but I'm not sure if it would melt the filter), but I've definitely seen a setup where there was a flashing blue and a steady red in a two-lamp model to the front and a three or four lamp model to the rear that was red, amber, and blue set up as a traditional California setup. Regardless, the director series (the federal signal product pictured here) was actually a pretty interesting idea. Utilizing existing reflectors and filters it was a solid entry into the halogen dash and deck light market. I think it just ended up being a little bit too to bulky by the end of its tenure.

I used to have a full set of these and I wish I hadn't sold them. Cool items, thanks for posting l.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022
USA nj
Likely not worth more than the $130 they were listed for. As others have said, they aren't terribly common but they're not really desirable to the majority of collectors.

Link to the eBay ad so folks can see the video of them flashing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3258335908...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Idk what there worth I have takes to guys that offered 200-400 $ there restoring a state trooper car . Idk I just want someone to enjoy them

There will be a video on my YouTube cowboy911

Last edited by a moderator:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Idk what there worth I have takes to guys that offered 200-400 $ there restoring a state trooper car . Idk I just want someone to enjoy them

There will be a video on my YouTube cowboy911
If you have an offer of $400 I'd take their money and run. Arrow and flasher sticks just don't have the market a beacon or lightbar has. I'm standing by my valuation.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Values of vintage equipment is really in the eye of the buyer. People restoring a specific vehicle often pay a premium. Take it. That doesn't mean that item is commonly worth that. I had four of an item that is very agency specific. I sold two to a person doing a restoration for quite a bit of cash. Then I ended up having to take less than half that amount on the remaining two because the market had been saturated in that single sale. No one needs to be offended, the vintage market saturates easily and fluctuated greatly. Kudos to anyone who can get a premium price for a specific item.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.