Fusion Amber as Running/Turn Lights

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Thinking of getting Fusion 180 in Amber and mounting them on my tow mirrors as a running/turn signal light (since GM decided not to put them on). I know I need diodes and resistors to get it to function properly. What I need to know is, will the regular fusion run properly being dimmed and then run as turn signal. Or should I use a "dummy" fusion? Also, any advice on what size diode and resistor to use?
Thanks!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I don't believe you will need a resistor for them. Was your point of a resistor to avoid the hyperflash? It's my understanding that only occurs when the factory halogen bulbs are removed and replaced with LEDs

Chris W

Mar 27, 2014
NJ
I don't believe you will need a resistor for them. Was your point of a resistor to avoid the hyperflash? It's my understanding that only occurs when the factory halogen bulbs are removed and replaced with LEDs

The resistors are to dim the lights down from full brightness for the running lights

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
The resistors are to dim the lights down from full brightness for the running lights

Correct. I'm not sure if anyone has used resistors on the regular fusions yet and if it caused any problems or if the "dummy" version may work better for this application.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Why? I thought the Fusion had a low power mode?

It's the same idea as using resistors and/or diodes in the cannons for turn signals. It also allows the brightness to be fine tuned so I don't blind the shit out of everyone Plus, if I decide to get dual color, it'll allow me to keep the running/turn signal on one mode and the other mode will be open for the other color as warning are alley lighting, depending on what color I choose.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
It's the same idea as using resistors and/or diodes in the cannons for turn signals. It also allows the brightness to be fine tuned so I don't blind the shit out of everyone Plus, if I decide to get dual color, it'll allow me to keep the running/turn signal on one mode and the other mode will be open for the other color as warning are alley lighting, depending on what color I choose.
Thank you for explaining it.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
They are only 2 mode do you need 3?

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
No I don't need 3 modes, However I'm sure we'd all love tri or quad-mode and tri-color.

If I do go with a dual color, the resistor and diodes will be wired into mode 1. Mode 1 will be set to amber steady. Then the resistor will dim down the light for use as the parking lights. A 2nd signal on the same wire (separated by diodes and bypassing said resistor) will receive the signal to flash from the turn signal. Mode 2 if (if so desired) will either be blue for FD response or white steady for an "alley" type light on the mirror.

I hope the diagram makes sense.
ai725.photobucket.com_albums_ww254_funnytoe_album_silverado_todf299bd06b55cb01b04f446fa528294b.jpg

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
True. I do know there's other lights that come out of the box like this. But I'm just curious if the Fusions have any adverse effects when dimming them on steady or if I'd be better off with "dummy" versions for this. I'm liking the 180's for something like this.

Reactions: Adam 12

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I haven't yet. The lighting funds and time have been depleted for the moment. I would like to get this done soon that the weather is breaking. But all of that will be dependent on funds and time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.