Hello From VT - Need Advice on Where to Start

cobruder

May 20, 2012
Vermont
I cannot express how I happy I was when I stumbled upon this forum. I have had an unusually unhealthy fascination with emergency vehicle lights since I was a wee lad and now that I'm a bit older, I am trying to figure out everything I can about how they work. I have just finished a Massachusetts state EMT class (I live in Vermont, but go to college in Massachusetts) and am waiting to take the state test in a few weeks. I am already a Certified First Responder and work for my school's EMS service where we do 24/7 campus coverage. Unfortunately, we have a pretty small inner city campus with few roads, so we respond on foot primarily or with the help of campus police if they are nearby. Anyways, I would like to satiate my love with lights and I have some questions about getting started.

I have wanted for a while to get a few interior amber lights to add to my car, but they would really serve no purpose other than to make me happy and show off to my friends. I was wondering if that was frowned upon by people who use lights for actual emergency purposes?

I am assuming that it doesn't and I am trying to figure out what I should buy. The problem is that I have almost zero knowledge of electrical systems and wiring in general, let alone vehicle systems. Some of the crazy setups I have seen on here and other places is quite intimidating and is simply Greek to me. Is this something that I can easily overcome without an expert physically teaching me how to do the wiring and where to run everything?

As a college student, I don't really have a lot of extra cash lying around so as I have been looking at a lot of the cheaper options, I notice that most of the cheaper stuff uses cigarette plugs. That obviously helps with my aforementioned issue, but if I do buy a couple different cigarette plug lights, how do I power all of them? I have one cigarette plug in my car, and I know there are adapters to add a few more plugs, but I feel like the lights would draw a lot of power and shouldn't all be run out of one plug. I also wouldn't be able to synch the lights to turn on and flash at the same time. Are there easy and cheap ways to help with this?

I appreciate any and all advice anyone can offer.

-Connor

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Yes it is frowned upon to have lights for no purpose but to show off. It is best to do more research before installing lights in your vehicle. If you don't know what you are doing go to a professional to install lights when you have an actual purpose besides showing off. Too many people have been abusing lights that it is giving honest emergency services personal a bad name. IMHO.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
For tying multiple lights into one cigar plug, really should only be done with led's due to the draw of either halogen/strobe. If you're looking to run amber,simple rooftop rotator and a dashlight would suffice. Can find a few good ones on here for a fair price. We also have a page dedicated to state lighting laws,should read that as well.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
MOTHER OF GOD!! I just noticed what state out new friend is from!!

awww.coxian.com_media_photos_supertroopers_2001_groupshot.jpg

awww.cataland.com_website_super_troopers_stills_lizard5highres.jpg

cobruder

May 20, 2012
Vermont
I don't really understand the whole reply about going to the ring. I appreciate the candid response from MEVS06. I asked for people's thoughts and I got his and I thank him. And all of those pictures are incredibly annoying and will likely destroy the credibility of my post.

In response to him and Phoenix_Rising, I don't think I really stated my intentions properly and I feel like I got off to a bad start. I don't want my first post to make me look like some jackass punk trying to make myself look cool. I do have great respect for what this lighting is used for. I have also read my state laws many times and I know what is and what is not legal and I am allowed to have amber lights installed. I say this because, once again, I don't want to seem like an uneducated punk.

To reiterate my point on installing ambers in my car: I would never use them on the road as there's no purpose. I wouldn't pretend like I was cop and pull people over or sit on the side of the road flashing the night away and create an unnecessary hazard. That stupid behavior is completely ridiculous and highly dangerous and I agree it does give legit people a bad name. As someone who is soon to be an EMT and works for an EMS service at my college, I know the importance of these systems and the respect people need to give them so they can be effective. It's all too often that you see people blatantly ignoring an ambulance or cruiser behind them. I never intend to undermine that.

Using the term "to show off" probably was not the right one to use. I want to add things because several of my friends are fascinated with emergency vehicles and lighting and having some lights would give us all a way to see how it works and what it takes to have a good install. I don't know if that makes a difference to my question on if this is frowned upon? I hope it at least clears the air and goes to me not being deemed a "whacker." (I still haven't quite figured out what it takes to be a whacker.)

This is really my first look into what goes into these systems and this is all part of the learning process for me.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
To the OP: please forgive some of the members that were giving you a hard time...We are still hot under the collar from the last couple of whackers we've had to deal with. Here's the thing about using lights in your car when you aren't allowed to: it's illegal. So we get a little touchy when you start saying it's to make you happy. Rather keep illegal lighting out of your car, because the step after installation, is use. If you like lights, as we all do, get a power source that will allow you to use them indoors, where it can't be miconstrued as impersonation. Once you get permission/licensing to have lights/sirens in your car, start going through the board. You will find a metric crapload of information on wiring, installation, and proper use. In the meantime, play it safe, and resist the urge to have illegal lighting.

EDIT: Also, welcome to eLb.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobruder

May 20, 2012
Vermont
EMT-BLS said:
Here's the thing about using lights in your car when you aren't allowed to: it's illegal.

Rather keep illegal lighting out of your car, because the step after installation, is use. If you like lights, as we all do, get a power source that will allow you to use them indoors, where it can't be miconstrued as impersonation. Once you get permission/licensing to have lights/sirens in your car, start going through the board. You will find a metric crapload of information on wiring, installation, and proper use. In the meantime, play it safe, and resist the urge to have illegal lighting.

I know full well that any combination of red/blue and/or a siren is illegal. I don't want any of that stuff. However, Vermont Statutes Title 23, Chapter 13, Section 1251(a) says "A motor vehicle shall not be operated upon a highway of this state equipped with a siren or signal lamp colored other than amber unless a permit authorizing this equipment, issued by the commissioner of motor vehicles, is carried in the vehicle." The rest of section 1251 and 1252 goes on to say that red is only for fire and EMS while blue is reserved for law enforcement. Amber is not mentioned again until it says that all road maintenance vehicles, service vehicles, tow trucks, and snow plows need to have them. There appears to be no limit on having amber, so wouldn't that imply that it's not illegal to have amber lighting? Again, I am only thinking about amber lighting and NO combination of any red or blue or a siren.

cobruder

May 20, 2012
Vermont
EMT-BLS said:
What is the purpose of having the lights in your car?

There really is no strict purpose currently for a job or anything. There have been more than a few times in the last month alone where I have stopped at the scene of an MVA before first responders arrived and I wish could have had more warning of my car being stopped and the situation lying ahead especially when my car was clipped and the bumper and rear fender got taken off. This applies even more on back roads that are curvey and hilly where people drive 2x the speed limit.

So, again, I don't know if that makes a difference as to your or anyone's opinion on if I should have them (which I would still like to know). On top of your opinions, my second question is is it legally okay to have them? As I said in the PM I sent to you, I don't want to seem pushy about this whole topic, but I want to make sure I know the strict legal definition before I make any decision based on the emergency services community's feelings. I don't really have the fiscal means currently to really do anything about this, so I may be making a big deal for nothing, but I want to know.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
There is nothing really wrong with having ambers in a car. But if it serves no purpose, other then for just in case, or sitting in your friends driveway playing with them. (not even going to lie, been there done that) Then limit your self to maybe one light up front and one or two single LEDs in the rear window. Thats it. No need for a headlight flasher, strobes, grill lights and all that.

If you keep it simple and too the point you will get a lot of respect. I know you are going to the playing with them factor, while on PRIVATE PROPERTY ONLY, so a single beacon that you can throw on the roof is out, but it will serve the same purpose.

You are you, and we are us, you can do whatever you want to your car, you seem like you know what you are talking about and have done the bookwork to find what you needs. Amber appears to be legal, so if you wanted to, you could mount a full bar on your roof, but again no real purpose. I would just stick to front and rear leds.

Yes we all frown on people that want lights to just want them, but them again, majority of us, have more lights then we should, becasue we want them, most of us have a purpose, but we could still get away with a few less lights, but we all like the blink, that is why we are here. We all have the sickness.

And welcome to ELB :)

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
Welcome from a fellow Vermonter. Technically in VT you can have as many amber lights on your vehicle as you would like, there are no laws regulating amber lights in the state of VT. If you want to put amber lights in your car...it's your car and you are free to put as many as you would like and use them whenever you want (Within the state of VT) You WILL be a whacker if you deck your car out in amber lights for no apparent reason. BUT that is just a label put upon you by other people, I believe in the freedoms of this country and the people that fought for us to have them. Even if someone thinks it is stupid... it's your freedom to do what you want with it. Do what makes you happy and live your life. I do cringe when I see a whacker's car all decked out with amber for no reason, but I also cringe when I see a fat lady in a skimpy bathing suit or people of Wal-Mart. God bless America. Rock on.

Now that I got that out of the way... Maybe get an LED dash light for the windshield and one for the back window (as mentioned before) or some insert LEDs for your headlights and tail lights.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
To the OP, not quite sure why you called me out in your above post, I understood what you were saying and you're reasoning for saying it. I made two valid and simple answers to your topic. I suggested a roof mount light,which serves your (im)practical purposes does it not? I have no cares as to what you put on your car,so long as its safe and lawful. And at no point did I say what you're (planning) doing is anything but. If you're new to posting via foums, it may be prudent for you to verse yourself on forum etiquette. If not I'd remind you that if you're going to name a specific user in a post, it'd be wise to ensure you have your facts straight.

End rant

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
All right, everyone simmer down a bit. There's no reason for yet another thread to end up in The Ring. To the OP, technically being allowed to do something, doesn't mean you have to do it. Jus because you can get away with having amber lights, doesn't mean you should. We all know how the game goes: you get ambers installed in your car, and you swear to yourself that you'll never use on the road. Then you come across an MVA, and you turn them on, to "help the cops." Next thing you know, you're installing a siren, and putting in a few blue lights, "only for emergencies." The step after that is that we have an article of you being arrested for impersonation and illegal use of emergency lighting. So take some helpful advice, and don't put in lighting until you have a good reason for it.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
If your intent is to tinker with the workings of bars and other lights I would also suggest the power supply route. Plenty of blinkie goodness in your living room, with no laws broken.

Welcome to the site... it will feed your need!

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
EMT-BLS said:
We all know how the game goes: you get ambers installed in your car, and you swear to yourself that you'll never use on the road. Then you come across an MVA, and you turn them on, to "help the cops." Next thing you know, you're installing a siren, and putting in a few blue lights, "only for emergencies." The step after that is that we have an article of you being arrested for impersonation and illegal use of emergency lighting.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time the above statement proved to be true. ESPECIALLY on THIS board! lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.