Help! 2016 Interceptor Utility Build

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Hey all,
So I'm starting an 2016 Interceptro Utility Build and have a few questions.
Is Ford supposed to supply all the pigtail connectors for all the options that came with the vehicle? I only have the pigtails for the 3 circuit power/ground and the 14 way front power/vehicle signal. I have no pigtail for the 14 way police options, which, if I read the manual correctly, I need to activate the fog led warning power/sync. I also need to run the wig-wag activation to the rear into a Havis tray mount.

I was also thinking to tapping into the siren speaker connector, but again, no pigtail and I'd love to not have to run a cable from the speaker to the rear of the vehicle if I can help it. Also, I need to connect a Feniex Cobra 400, so I'm thinking I could use the 12 wire pass through? Would it be ok to just run the siren speaker and cobra 400 with the 12 wire pass through? Just want to make sure. And again, I still need to find the power for the led fog warning and wig-wag and I'd prefer not to cut the 14 way police options pigtail. Any help would be great.

Those are really the items I'm struggling with and the Ford Upfitter Manual kinda sucks, especially with no pigtails but 2.

Thanks for any info!

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Also, if it helps, the vehicle has Options 60A pre-wiring for gille/lamp/speaker/siren, 21L front aux warning(fog led warning) and 63L, rear quarter glass lights. That's the only options ordered.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Yes, Ford is supposed to supply all the harness connectors. They should have been in the glove box. If not, call and try to get another one.

I'd save the 12 wire harness through the fire wall for lights (which is a Pain in the Ass to get to and crimp under the dash. I don't know why they left it so short). You can pick up the pre-run siren speaker wires, right there under the driver side headlight.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Figures. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to call the dealership then. I decided to run the cobra 400 and the siren speaker with the pass through. I figured I'd do it that way cause I want them to have the option of putting a 2nd speaker in if the want and the 2 14 guage pass through work perfect since there's only provisions for 1 speaker the way this was built.

Now to get my connector!!

Thanks again!!

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Another couple questions:
With the Ions in the rear window, its the stand alone wiring and not with a prep package. When I removed the side panel, I have 2 connectors tied to the same light, one male, one female. So, I'm assuming, I need to get the male or female pigtails from Ford now.

Also, I just now read that the rear power take off is only rated to 80 amps. Well, that sucks, cause I was budgeting about 130 + amps on a 150 amp circuit breaker, 60 for the Feniex 4200, 30 for the Storm Pro 200 amp, 20 for the radio, 20 for the video system. I thought it was a straight battery take off. So now I'm screwed and have to find a way to run battery power to the rear of the vehicle. Correct? Maybe I have bit off more than I can chew...

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
It seems like you are over estimating the amp draw. What lighting and equipment is going into the vehicle?

Reactions: sgzwach

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I was thinking that too, but if I go by factory recommended specs, I'm way over. No power inverters, no laptops. I won't be using the 4200 to full capacity, same with the Storm Pro, only using 1 speaker. It won't be even be wired for 2.

Equipment:
4200 - 60 amps per Feniex
Storm Pro 200 W - 30 amps per Feniex
Radio - 20 amps per Icom
Radar - 2 amps
Scanner - 10-20 amps (estimated)
Dash Cam System - 20 amps (estimated)

Lights:
1 - Cobra 400
1 - Apollo Dual Color ILB
1 - Cobra 600
2 - Apollo Dual Color F12
2 - Whelen Hideaways Front Fogs (Ford Installed)
2 - Whelen Ions Rear Quarter Glass (Ford Installed)

I don't have the dash cam, scanner or radio in hand yet, so I'm not sure the specific amp draw of those. It'll go into temporary service with the boss until the rest of the equipment comes in.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
What kind of scanner runs 20 Amps??????????

Reactions: ff168577

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I was thinking that too, but if I go by factory recommended specs, I'm way over. No power inverters, no laptops. I won't be using the 4200 to full capacity, same with the Storm Pro, only using 1 speaker. It won't be even be wired for 2.

Equipment:
4200 - 60 amps per Feniex
Storm Pro 200 W - 30 amps per Feniex
Radio - 20 amps per Icom
Radar - 2 amps
Scanner - 10-20 amps (estimated)
Dash Cam System - 20 amps (estimated)

Lights:
1 - Cobra 400
1 - Apollo Dual Color ILB
1 - Cobra 600
2 - Apollo Dual Color F12
2 - Whelen Hideaways Front Fogs (Ford Installed)
2 - Whelen Ions Rear Quarter Glass (Ford Installed)

I don't have the dash cam, scanner or radio in hand yet, so I'm not sure the specific amp draw of those. It'll go into temporary service with the boss until the rest of the equipment comes in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the 4200 only draw the current of the devices it is switching? I can't see the lighting being more than 20 amps. On the Feniex website it says the current draw for the Storm Pro is 10 amps.

So

20 amps 4200 + lights
10 amps siren
20 amps radio
2 amps radar
5 amps scanner
10 amps camera

Totals 67 amps. I think you are WAY overestimating the current draw lol

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
What kind of scanner runs 20 Amps??????????

No clue, I'm not familiar with any scanners, so I was erring on the side of caution. Apparently way way too much caution, lol. But I just found out the scanner won't go in the vehicle now. So that's good.

I'm pretty sure that you would have a hard time finding a scanner that pulled more than 5 amps.

Yeah, wasn't sure what they pulled, so I over estimated by a long shot, lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the 4200 only draw the current of the devices it is switching? I can't see the lighting being more than 20 amps. On the Feniex website it says the current draw for the Storm Pro is 10 amps.

So

20 amps 4200 + lights
10 amps siren
20 amps radio
2 amps radar
5 amps scanner
10 amps camera

Totals 67 amps. I think you are WAY overestimating the current draw lol

The reason I went with 60 amps for the 4200 and 30 amps for the Storm Pro 200W was that's what the manuals called for. But if I only need to apply what I'm using, that much much better. Especially since I'm only using 100 W of the Storm and not the full 200 W. And now I can take the scanner out since they decided not to use one now, so that saves me some too.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
this many scanners might draw a few more than 20 amps...

awww.kb6nu.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_01_hamthathaseverything2.jpg
:cool:
Noted! Thanks, lol. :)

Since we're on the subject of power, here's what my final power setup will be, I want your guys opinions:

4200 controlling lights, radar, video: 30 amps
Storm Pro 200W (only running 100W): 20 amps
Icom Radio: 15 amps (the manual states that TX uses 14 amps, so I think I'll be ok)
3 12v power ports @ 5 amps each but powered from supplied 34 amp ford power/ground pigtail in the dash

Let me know what you think, I'll be doing the final wiring Wednesday/Thursday.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.