Help wiring a Touchmaster Delta

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Today I got a used Touchmaster Delta. The first thing I noticed is there are 3 red wires that come out of the back (pos) an ign. wire and a ground. So I hooked up the ign wire and the ground. I found one of the 3 wires that powered the unit up. What could the other 2 wires be for?

When I power up the unit the air horn works. If I turn the know to wail or yelp, nothing. If flip the switch to test I can turn the knob to wail or yelp I can hear it. What am I doing wrong? I don't know if the lights on the slide switch are working properly or not since they do not light up. I watched videos of the siren on youtube and swtch 6 makes the siren scroll through the tones or works as a momantary switch. This one when pressed I can hear it click, but that is about it.

siren wires.jpg

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I went on Youtube and in one of the videos I could see the guys wiring. I jumped position 8 to 12 and one of the power wires coming out of the back went to position 1. Then it worked. A bit of a strange set up

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Eric1249 said:
... I found one of the 3 wires that powered the unit up....
That should be the "SIren" Wire, right?

Eric1249 said:
... What could the other 2 wires be for? ...
"W LTS" is the 12V supply for PIN 15, 16, 17

"ACCESS" is the 12V supply for the Accessory switches

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'll tap into the Brain Trust that has responded with an unrelated question: Let's suppose you don't want to cut into your vehicle's horn circuit. Could you control the horn ring input (terminal 12) with a jumper to switch 6 (set to the momentary configuration)?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
JazzDad said:
I'll tap into the Brain Trust that has responded with an unrelated question: Let's suppose you don't want to cut into your vehicle's horn circuit. Could you control the horn ring input (terminal 12) with a jumper to switch 6 (set to the momentary configuration)?

It worked for the OP:

Eric1249 said:
I jumped position 8 to 12 and one of the power wires coming out of the back went to position 1. Then it worked.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
But was his intent to use button 6 in place of the horn ring circuit? I guess I'm not seeing that. :confused:

Terminal 1 is for Aux 1, and is shipped from the factory as a latching switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
There was a video on Youtube where the siren was hooked to a switch vs being hooked to the horn.

Well I got the siren to work, but I wonder if it is hooked up properly? Even with no keys, the siren works with everything running to the battery. Would I be better to use a relay?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have a circut breaker between the siren and the battery. There is still power to the siren when the truck is off. How much of a drain is this on my battery? Could I run all the power wires to a relay and have the relay triggered by the ignition? I haven't used many relays that I remember. But are there different sizes?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Eric1249 said:
I have a circut breaker between the siren and the battery. There is still power to the siren when the truck is off. How much of a drain is this on my battery? Could I run all the power wires to a relay and have the relay triggered by the ignition? I haven't used many relays that I remember. But are there different sizes?

Don't leave it like that for more than a day, the battery will be drained. You'd be best off running everything to battery except for the turn on wire. Run that to ignition, or thru a relay controlled by ignition. If it's just for the turn on, the relay doesn't have to be that big. If it's for the whole siren, 20-40 amp relay should be fine.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I may be reading this wrong. If the OP has the unit hooked up correctly, and the back panel lights are not on all the time, there should be no current draw. The manual states (Section II, Specifications ): Standby Current 0 amps. I was curious about this when I was having problems with my vehicle battery. I put an ammeter in line and found that to be true.

When I first apply power to my unit, it 'wakes up' sort of confused. I need to turn off all the aux switches. (But maybe mine is wonky.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have the siren in. I was working on my truck in the garage tonight. I have switch #6 connected to my Carson mech. and as I was working on my truck I bumped the switch. Let's just say it woke me up. I do not like that everything can be operational without the truck running. Can I just run all the battery wires to a relay? Or did I wire this thing wrong?

Eric

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.