Howler Troubleshooting

Twes

May 29, 2023
Massachusetts
Good morning all, new to the forum so I apolagize if this is a redundat post, I looked around the past threads and could not find similar questions. I am troubleshooting a Howler system. Symptoms are the regular siren on the ambulance is operational , when I press the howler button however it has no effect. The siren continues to operate normally. I checked all the fuses , Tested voltage behind the button (I have 12V there and when I press the button the voltage drops to zero as expected) . I visually inspected the wiring going into the howler under the bumper area and seems ok. I disconnecetd from the connector just before the howler and was attempting to get an OHM reading but it is reading OL seemingly like an open. Does anyone have an idea what I should be getting for resistance or if thats even a valid test. My next step was going to hook back up and check for voltage at this connector with someone activating the siren and Howler button. Please let me know if I'm way off here as I am relatively new to this system. . Thanks in advance , Tom

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You need to back up and start checking at the howler amplifier or where the wiring for the howler connect to the integrated howler circuit in the siren. Usually your failure point is in fact the speaker, but the only way to really test that is to assure that the amplifier portion is both getting voltage and functional.

Twes

May 29, 2023
Massachusetts
Thank you for replying . I will definitely keep that advice in mind next time around and start there . Fortunately it was as you mentioned the actual speaker . Coupled with some “inherited “ backwards wiring from previous ships and some New England corrosion it was definitely a learning experience . Thank you again!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thank you for replying . I will definitely keep that advice in mind next time around and start there . Fortunately it was as you mentioned the actual speaker . Coupled with some “inherited “ backwards wiring from previous ships and some New England corrosion it was definitely a learning experience . Thank you again!
If the speakers were cheaper and more easily stocked I'd say the gold standard would be swapping a new one in like I do with 100w drivers, because as demonstrated, it is the likely failure point. Low frequency speakers seem to suffer heavily from the elements, I assume due to their size limiting the mounting options. 100w speakers fail, but not nearly as much as they used to when we first switched from overhead to bumper, the drains and mounts have improved. I have always been curious as to whether there is a better way to mount low frequency speakers, they vibrate intentionally and theoretically should be near the ground. I also have not compared brands for longevity.

Regardless, at least you have your answer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.