Imporving Portable reception?

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Okay, my department doesn't want to buy a repeater and we haven't gone digital (Once we do we will run off a state repeater), and the Chief doesn't want to ask the city council for one, so in the mean time we all get dispatched via a 100 watt (i think) base, and my reception is sucky, so i was wondering if there are anyways to improve it, Such as modifying the antenna, by adding more copper to it? Or putting an external antenna on it, like one for a mobile and then just connect it while in my car?

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah, just hook it up to a bigger antenna if you are talking about a mobile solution. Dang, I wish our dispatch was that powerful, ours is awful!

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Yeah mobile, just add an external antenna with an adapter (if needed). Don't add copper or mess with the factory rubber duck antenna, you'll mess shit up and run the risk of damaging the radio over time.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Okay, i think i found the right connector for it, now it's time to get an antenna! Anybody recommended a good magnetic mount antenna for vhf 155 band? Don't care what it looks like!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
a vhf antenna on an NMO mag mount. I beleive pimp has 3 million of them for sale

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Jarred J. said:
a vhf antenna on an NMO mag mount. I beleive pimp has 3 million of them for sale
Is he selling whips individually now? I've been trying to purchase one off him for a while now.. :p

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
unlisted said:
Is he selling whips individually now? I've been trying to purchase one off him for a while now.. :p

No he isn't! But are the those Phantom elites as good as a whip antenna?

May 22, 2010
New York City
not really, if you want better reception better to get a bigger antenna, especially since you are having trouble already

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Anybody know a good place to order antennas? I can't find too much on the web.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
If you are having problems aleady and looks are not an issue, the best solution is to get an 5/8ths wave antenna.

These are the longer/longest for the 155Mhz band, not the 1/4 wave antenna(which is approx. 18 inches long). A 5/8ths wave antenna would be approx. 3 feet long, plus the base. A NMO mount antenna on a NMO mag mount base is what I would suggest.

Some prefer 1 maker over another, but they are all basically doing the same job. Longer is better in this case.

Plus the fact that the 5/8th wave will "add" to your signal power when transmitting.

Chris

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
5/8 antennas are HUGE! Idk if i want a 56 inch whip! I was thinking maybe 36 inch tops?

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
The 5/8 will be your best performer. This antenna will wake the most out of your portable radio.

But its not your only option. If the 5/8 is more than you want, use a 1/4 wave(about 18 inches or so tall). I will say that if you are going to use a 1/4 wave, make sure to put it on the roof and not the trunk lid.

Chris

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
If you're planning to use a mag mount on the roof I'd go with the 1/4 wave antenna, also if you're planning on permanent roof mounting (unless you live in the desert). A 5/8 wave base loaded antenna will give you some gain, but may not stay on the roof magnetically at higher speeds, and if you roof mount it permanently it will be hitting trees. Best place for a 5/8 wave antenna is on the trunk or trunk lip.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
What is the difference between all these? Like no ground? Do they not need a ground plain? And what is high gain?

cvfd1615

Jun 12, 2010
Custer, Kentucky
Just go with a 1/4 wave 19" and you will see a better improvement then a rubber duck.

If your in mountainous area 1/4 wave works better on TX then 5/8 wave due to radiation pattern out of the antenna.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I think i'm going to order a Larson 1/4 wave 21'' antenna and Wilson trunk lip mount antenna with 14ft of cable. I'm also going to order a longer rubber antenna, i currently have a 6 inch i'm going to upgrade to a 10.5 inch that way i might get slightly better reception while i'm out and about!

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
What I think many of you missed, is that the SP330 is a portable radio.

If your complaining about reception while being in the vehicle, there really isn't much you can do about that for several reasons:

-Most vehicles with its metal kill the signal

-Screwing off/on the antenna to hook up to the external mounted antenna will kill the radio connection over time

-The above sucks when you need to get out of the car with the radio quick and use it

Now if your complaining about reception outside of the vehicle, there are many factor's as well. Even though you may have a highpowered base radio, is it really putting out 100watts? Has the radio been serviced and the antenna/cables been swept so its effecient?

Also just know that the Maxon radios are not the best in the business...

There are a lot of factor's, but lets start there :)

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
NPS Ranger said:
Haha you think maybe he responds in a Corvette?

As a matter of fact i respond in something cooler than a corvette! A 1996 LT4 Impala SS!!! he he he

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
NPS Ranger said:
Sorry I thought I read somewhere he was mounting the antenna outside his residence in some fashion..

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
unlisted said:
Sorry I thought I read somewhere he was mounting the antenna outside his residence in some fashion..

I might be doing that soon too!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
911 said:
if thats the case, buy a mobile , a power supply and a base antenna, and do it right..........

Already got the power supply and our station has a 100 watt mobile that isn't in use that i can have. Just have to get an antenna, and i'm not sure where i'm going to mount it at.

May 22, 2010
New York City
how many amps is that power supply? 100 watts needs alot of power.........

also make sure you put a decent antenna on the roof, otherwise it would just be a waste of time.........

also your portable reception might improve by changing radios......... the maxon can be the problem :p

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
NPS Ranger said:

In Reply to your post #115091

NPS Ranger said:

Touche! :)

Either way, without knowning exactly when/how/what/etc the portable is being used, its hard to diagnose and provide a good soultion other than saying:

-Maxon's are not the greatest radio

-Using a portable for tx/rx in a vehicle never ends well, even with the best radio systems

-If its in the field, see the first bullet point :)

Also you can consider this:

Dump the Maxon, find a Motorola Saber or ASTRO Saber radio and the Convert-A-Com. This gives your the best of both worlds, and is fairly inexpensive these days.

Actually a few of the radio lines past and present had convertacom options...below is one for the saber series:

awww.angelfire.com_electronic_batlabs_images_gallery_sabmva.jpg

You can get mobile amplifiers that will boost the 5 watts to 30, 40 or more

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
If you find a used decent VHF HT750/1250 I have a convertacom kit new in box for that. I would offer you a deal on it.

here is link to the item info and description

Motorola - VHF, 136-174 MHz

Motorola discontinued them a few years back due to low sales numbers of the items. Most people just went with a mobile in thier vehicles.

I hate hearing about range/reception issues in public safety, and with new narrowband requirements dropping range even more it is going to be tougher for alot of folks

AAEN1006B.jpg

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Actually when we go narrow band, 800 digital, it will be easier since all our radios will run off of Kansas Department of Transportation repeaters!

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
Fast LT1 said:
Actually when we go narrow band, 800 digital, it will be easier since all our radios will run off of Kansas Department of Transportation repeaters!

Nice! We will be getting a new 800 P25 Digital trunked system in our county soon,they are hoping to be fully up and running by end of May. 9 sites,voted sites, multicast and repeated. We needed it badly!!!!

Fire Ground will remain 800 analog for now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.