Just Received my Holy Grail in the Mail...

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
It wasn't all that unusual to show surface rust when they were still in service, they were mounted on the transmission hump after all.

Reactions: FCV96

deelony

May 23, 2010
LINY
i was wondering who ponied up that $$ for that

Aug 25, 2016
NYC
Wow! Great find! Hope it works cuz I'd love a video. :)
Me too, either way it'll be working one day
It wasn't all that unusual to show surface rust when they were still in service, they were mounted on the transmission hump after all.
That's good to hear, I was worried it was stored poorly
i was wondering who ponied up that $$ for that
Yea, ouch. That auction got really pricey at the end. I'll be selling some of my collection to offset

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very nice! If I'm not mistaken they were built by Smith and Wesson, who also was parent co. for Sonic Signal Co. who built a very nice reasonably priced siren. We had one on an ambulance; and I loved the hi-lo on it because it was deep-throated and would rattle your brain. We had it on a '75 Type II Chev. ambulance. First time I used the hi-lo was on a run into then-Methodist Hospital in Lubbock. Our last major intersection coming up Indiana Ave. was at 34th St., and just for fun I decided to try the hi-lo. I was presently surprised at the volume and was pleased to see cars more than 1/4 mi. down the street pulling over. The siren also had a rather deep-pitched wail that had a slow rise and fall. I still have one and wouldn't part with it. Don't know why they didn't go over.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
A wonderful find for sure, and I'm glad that it functions perfectly and that you have a video on YouTube up! Seems like the other videos of the Mark VII out there were uploaded nearly a decade ago, and the quality advancement over the years shows.

Additionally, thanks for the info, Skip. I've always wondered what the deal was with Scientific Prototypes and whether or not they were related to Signal Stat or other manufacturers.

Reactions: classifieds869294
Aug 25, 2016
NYC
Haha, by the time I was old enough to notice such things you'd only hear these on some private company ambulances. I remember finding the wail creepy, but now I think it's awesome. These seem to be extinct in NYC though, last time I heard one was 10 or so years ago on a random ambulance on the LIE.

Reactions: FCV96

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.