LED Flood/Driving Light Options

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
So long story short I am going to embark on (at least) a 13000 mile roadtrip this spring/summer in my Jeep. I am going to be in allot of VERY RURAL areas in Northern Canada and Alaska, among other US states. With that, I'm going to need some BRIGHT forward lighting for driving at night.

I'm really sold on Rigid Light products, however I know there are other up and comers in this market, and would like some suggestions from others who sell/have used these products.

Looking for driving/spot beam pattern for distance forward lighting (I need light far down the road- think train brightness) and general flood light patterns for side and rear of the vehicle. Looking for compact-ness, durability, and lumens per watt efficiency. Note- all lighting will be mounted to a safari roof rack. I do like the Feniex lightbar options, however I think they would be better suited for the side/rear lighting. Cannot see them being able to throw light forward too far..

I'm also considering a unity post mount spotlight with a LED drop in as an additional/aux light... anyone have suggestions on those?

So with that, suggestions? Once I narrow down a few viable choices, I will be making a wanted thread. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I'm not sure anything led can match the throw of a halogen/quartz HID light. I know leds are bright and with current filters they're much better but the bulb on a quartz light seems to still do a better job. My buddy described in this way "leds are bright and white, and you can see them far away but when you're driving towards them they really don't 'seem' bright till you're only a few feet away"

Maybe have a pair of 7" hids on the front bumper then a led bar on top with a mix of spot and flood light.

http://www.oraclelights.com/automotive-lighting-products/ORACLE-LED-Off-Road-Lights

Oracle sells both halogen and led lighting. The problem I'm sure you know is through Google alone you are going to be bombarded with STL quality and you want whelen quality. I'm looking forward to seeing other posts I'm looking at putting a driving lightbar on my Silverado too.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Phillyrube said:
Not sure about Canada, but HID lights for the most part are illegal.

Worth to note, I will not be altering the factory headlamps in any way. This would all be aux/supplementary lighting which would be turned off when there is approaching traffic (unless they are high-beaming me, then its GAME ON MOFO- MEET MR. NIGHT SUN!). :thumbsup:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I have a 20" Rigid dual-height on my Ranch Hand. It works very well, but it obviously wasn't cheap. If I had to replace it, I'd take a serious look at the Lifetime lights - especially the ones running the 10-watt LEDs.

One thing I don't currently like is the lack of side lighting. I've considered adding a pair of 6" Lifetimes on the parts of the Ranch Hand that angle back at a ~15 degree angle... would be great ditch lights.

The light is also most effective when drivers up the road fail to yield for my other emergency equipment. I can easily convince cars to move a half mile away.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have 6 inch Lifetime leds on my running boards and a 20 on my brush guard. This pic isn't the best since most of the light is blocked by the snow bank that was right next to my truck. It is a combo beam

lifetime 3.JPG

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Anyone have suggestions on HID driving lights? (apparently there are no led bars on the market which can come close to HID light distance) Probably going to end up using both lighting techs.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
You have lots of options, in addition to the quality products in the above post.

My own interest right now is: buying a set Of Vision X Cannons to supplement my 9" quartz lights.

LED, HID, and Halogen Lighting | Off Road Lighting | Offroad LED Lighting | Mine Lighting | Mining Lighting | Marine Lighting | Agriculture Lighting | Defense Lighting | Industrial Lighting | Commercial Lighting | Automotive Lighting

Video ? 4.5? Light Cannon LED Light by Vision X Lighting : race-deZert.com

I have (and use) 9" quartz, 5" PIAA, Rigid duallies, Lifetime LEDs, and Vision X Solo Solstice. I personally like the Vision X products best.

Not much compares with the output of my 9" quartz lights. I have one spot and one flood. I am waiting now for a brush guard mounting system for the new truck I just bought, so I cannot show you any photos of them, but they are like what you see on the front of the Alaska State Troopers vehicles.

Here is a interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0A6WZ_XP6U

9" HID lights on eBay:

Pair 9"

55W 4300K HID Xenon Driving Lights Spotlights Offroad Lights Land Rover | eBay

and an interesting comparison of various lights:

http://www.lightforceusa.com/images/pages/4WD%20161%20LR2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
MEVS06 said:
How far are you wanting to light up? Three or four miles??

I'd be happy with about half a mile range - or a bit further- have you ever seen the roads in Manitoba and Saskatchewan? The only two places in Canada where you can watch your dog run away from home for about 5 days straight. :dielaugh: (in other words, there be some darn straight roads, people joke you can tie the steering wheel straight, turn on cruise control and fall asleep for a few hours)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Well, the "one mile" HID light has been purchased.. Found one of these for a steal on another site! Lightforce - Products I think 5200 lumen output should be sufficient for a distance light.. apparently it will throw 1 lux over 1600 meters.. (about a mile!) Guess I'm going to look like a train from far away..

Back to looking for LED lightbar suggestions for "not as far" lighting.. Leaning towards a mix of rigid and Lifetime LED's. Suggestions still welcome!

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
I run three Rigid industry spot lights (they come in fog as well) on the front of my Dodge Ram and do a lot of rural, open road driving. They are extremely bright (lights-up for miles) and don't seem to be blinding other drivers coming the other way (on a well divided highway. They were 75.00 each installed at a local store. Oh; second reason is that I'm getting old and can't see shit at night. lol

Here are some photos.

dodge ram rigid 2.jpg

dodge ram rigid lights.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
wilsonbr90 said:
That is a big @ss light. No link to where you got the deal?

It was a mislabeled item on ebay.. once in a lifetime deal, nib. If there was any more, I would of purchased more. I got it for about 80% off!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Well I done and went crazy.

Ended up purchasing two (not one, but two) 20" Rigid e series spot lights, and 4 (yes- FOUR!) Lightforce 240 35watt HID lights. I think that'll be enough for the forward lighting. Considering microman, feniex and those lifetime led's for side and rear lighting... unless others have suggestions..?

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
I thought I was following this thread a little closer but I see you went with the purchase.

Lifetime LED also offers a HID in 4 and 7 inch using 55 watt bulbs. Bulbs are included in the lifetime warranty. If you are going to be looking at more lighting we offer Feniex and Lifetime LED.

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
unlisted said:
Well I done and went crazy.

Ended up purchasing two (not one, but two) 20" Rigid e series spot lights, and 4 (yes- FOUR!) Lightforce 240 35watt HID lights. I think that'll be enough for the forward lighting. Considering microman, feniex and those lifetime led's for side and rear lighting... unless others have suggestions..?

When are you stalling? Can't wait to see

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
dwk270 said:
When are you stalling? Can't wait to see

Probably late March or early April ish. Still need to order other parts. Lift kit winch light mount brush bar warning lights feniex 4200 wiring etc.

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
unlisted said:
Probably late March or early April ish. Still need to order other parts. Lift kit winch light mount brush bar warning lights feniex 4200 wiring etc.

Copy. I look forward to it!

SNOW SYSTEMS

Sep 26, 2010
Illinois
Rigid industries usa made. Pair of D2s are plenty. Unless of corse the ugly 7" lights are a must. But the 3"x3" D2's are sick. Imagine what a 20"+ bar does.....

ai270.photobucket.com_albums_jj82_ULM2004_E7A16CF0_3CCA_4AC0_98ccccb3fa3d1bfdc4ff5a7a7264f4e2a.jpg

SNOW SYSTEMS

Sep 26, 2010
Illinois
jswwjw said:
I run three Rigid industry spot lights (they come in fog as well) on the front of my Dodge Ram and do a lot of rural, open road driving. They are extremely bright (lights-up for miles) and don't seem to be blinding other drivers coming the other way (on a well divided highway. They were 75.00 each installed at a local store. Oh; second reason is that I'm getting old and can't see shit at night. lol

Here are some photos.

View attachment 69081 View attachment 69082

Id be pissed if I had to encounter oncoming traffic with those on. PISSSED

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
SNOW SYSTEMS said:
Rigid industries usa made. Pair of D2s are plenty. Unless of corse the ugly 7" lights are a must. But the 3"x3" D2's are sick. Imagine what a 20"+ bar does.....

Now take that thought, add another 20" bar to the mix (both spot beam) and four Lightforce 240 Blitz 35watt HID lights.. Oh and those 7" lights you mention are actually just a little over 9"... heh..

Specs on the Rigid:

Specifications:

• Watts: 110
  • Amp Draw: 7.97
  • LED's: 40
  • Raw Lumens: 9200
  • Lux @ 10m: 3530
  • Beam Distance: 1188 meters = 3898 FEET!!
  • Peak Beam Intensity: 353000 cd

And info on the lightforce.. Lightforce - Products

(can you tell I'm still a tad giddy?!) :woohoo:

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
SNOW SYSTEMS said:
Id be pissed if I had to encounter oncoming traffic with those on. PISSSED

I use a little common sense when running them and the way they are positioned on a normal highway they do not cause the oncoming traffic to indicate (by flashing their lights) that the lights are bothering them. These are spot, not flood. That might make a difference.

...rather to be pissed at then on!!!....lol

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
As an owner of a 20" Rigid stick, I can safely say that the Light Force will work much better in one area - throw. You just can't get as much distance out of small diodes with small reflectors as you can a single light source with a large reflector.

VisionX has come out with their "LED Cannon" - the 6.7" diameter model uses a single 50-watt LED. It's probably the only LED solution that will come close. That's also a lot of juice into one diode. I expect to see some manufacturer using such diodes in their lightbars shortly!

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
tvsjr said:
As an owner of a 20" Rigid stick, I can safely say that the Light Force will work much better in one area - throw. You just can't get as much distance out of small diodes with small reflectors as you can a single light source with a large reflector.

VisionX has come out with their "LED Cannon" - the 6.7" diameter model uses a single 50-watt LED. It's probably the only LED solution that will come close. That's also a lot of juice into one diode. I expect to see some manufacturer using such diodes in their lightbars shortly!

My boss has a set of the Cannons on his truck, and they are very bright, but there is so little spread on the beam that they do not outperform, nor help his headlights (2013 Ford Raptor) while driving down the road. Now if you are talking about bombing through trails in the woods, they are very nice.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I think the ideal combination would be a pair of Cannons for long distance, and a 30" or so Rigid combo (spot/flood) bar for medium and short range.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
TritonBoulder47 said:
I thought I heard a rumor that the guy that made this light might start making them again...

Yea I heard that rumor a looong time ago as well. Never did AFAIK.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.