LED Terms 101 and colors

mfaith91

May 23, 2010
Kentucky
How do you light up a "Ballast" light- how many volts does it take (I've got a bunch of ballast modules and no power supplies but would like to make one)...

kc9dzv

May 25, 2010
LaPorte County, IN USA
mfaith91 said:
How do you light up a "Ballast" light- how many volts does it take (I've got a bunch of ballast modules and no power supplies but would like to make one)...

+1. I had bought an lfl bar and was told it was ballast, so i purchased a bunch of ballast heads, just to find out that the bar is passive. Any suggestions?

aebm

May 21, 2010
Dania Beach, Broward FL.
Great Review, Now my question is who is using 3 watts led in they´re lightbars or anything else? Is it already happening? I could only imagine how these lightbars manage so much heat using 3 watters in all modules.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The funeral home that I work for had some Nova TIR3 type lights mounted on their cars. White LED with purple lenses. They work, but just ok, not great. Threr aren't many options in purple.

Dan

dpd4703

May 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
Okay, excuse my lack of knowledge with LEDs. I was wanting to understand the difference between the TIR and the Linear styles. What would be best for grille or rear window application? Thanks

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
dpd4703 said:
Okay, excuse my lack of knowledge with LEDs. I was wanting to understand the difference between the TIR and the Linear styles. What would be best for grille or rear window application? Thanks
Search on the site, I know there are a few threads discussing the difference you are inquiring.

If you cannot find it, post a question, as this does not apply to LED generation terms.

dpd4703

May 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
unlisted wrote:

Search on the site, I know there are a few threads discussing the difference you are inquiring.

If you cannot find it, post a question, as this does not apply to LED generation terms.

Thanks that help. I posted here after reading a post on this same thread (10 posts back) asking basically the same question - guess you didn't get to "help" him. I was hoping to get a simple answer from some of you experts that test these LEDs. Guess I will search and sort through the returns for my answer. ;)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Probably why no one answered that inquiry as well- its not the appropriate thread. This is about led generation terms- not lens optics. ;)

Post a question in the visual sub forum asking I am sure you will get a response. :)

(sorry, one of my "mod" duties is to try and keep topics... well.. on topic.)

Jan 7, 2011
Tampa, Florida
VolEms said:
I think he means the NYSP new patrol cars have colored lenses on their Liberty lightbars and they work well. I put the LED the same color as the lens. I put red vertex's behind my red turn signals in the rear. I tried out the white vertex behind red lenses it didnt look right. Strobes is a diff story. I would say always match the lens and the LED color.

But try this,.....try putting a red lense over a blue LED and see what happens. Any red over blue will cancel out the LEDs altogether. Its very cool to see that and wonder why it does that, but neat nonetheless!

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
PursuitElectronics said:
But try this,.....try putting a red lense over a blue LED and see what happens. Any red over blue will cancel out the LEDs altogether. Its very cool to see that and wonder why it does that, but neat nonetheless!

But red LEDs behind amber lenses seem to work well. I will have to get picks, but we had a customer order a couple of PowerArc LED210s red flasher/amber oscillator with Amber lens, The red pop amazingly well.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Would amber LAWs come out amber through a red tail light lens??

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I don't know personally but I would say 'No'... I would think it would just flash red because the red tail light is on the darker side of the red color spectrum than amber is.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Before NYPD started putting blue in the back, they were buying LED Vision bars with amber LEDs behind red lenses in the back of pods 1 and 7 and it seems minimally affected.

(wait for 0:55... also interestingly enough, they used all 4 tones on the smart siren)

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Can anybody comment on the output difference between a red Vertex and white Vertex behind a red taillight lens. I tried a white and it was almost invisible. Would the red Vertex be 25%, 50%, 100%, etc. brighter behind the same lens.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
John Hearne said:
Can anybody comment on the output difference between a red Vertex and white Vertex behind a red taillight lens. I tried a white and it was almost invisible. Would the red Vertex be 25%, 50%, 100%, etc. brighter behind the same lens.

Always use colored LEDs behind a colored lens, and always the same color (amber LEDs with an amber lens, red/red etc) because if you use, for example, blue LEDs behind a red lens, it'll really be invisible. White LEDs are pretty much universally less effective behind a colored lens, but you can use any color LED behind a clear lens.

acousticman

Nov 5, 2011
US Salem,VA
A little science. White leds are not really white. They are actually ultraviolet leds making a florescent coating glow whitish. The rub comes from the fact that the ultraviolet light attacks the epoxy dome of the led, shortening its life. Led color is determined by the chemical doping used in producing the diode. Full spectra leds are actually three or four leds in one package. For aircraft use, the led must produce the color of the fixture regardless of the lens color as per the FAA.

ofd149

Aug 17, 2011
West Haven, ct
id like and try to make my own led lights but i dont know where to get gen 3 leds anyone know where i could get all the parts and what exactly i would need??

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.