Lenexa, KS PD: 3 siren speakers, always

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
image.jpeg image.jpeg I've always thought it was interesting, & pretty cool, how Lenexa, KS Police Dept has always had three siren speakers on their patrol cars.

While I'd think it better if they turned the two side speakers 15*-20* degrees to their respective sides for better intersection warning (since every street in town is at a 90* angle due to modern urban street planning), I like the abundance of siren warning (even if studies say it's not that effective in today's vehicles).

If I sold B&M Sirens or Timberwolf sirens I would be making a sales pitch ASAP to their department brass, such as, "You may currently have three electronic siren speakers on your patrol car bumpers, BUT...you don't have the AMAZING B&M mechanical siren. (Mic drop)".
Their reply: "oooh, aahhh. (Asst. Chief whispers into Chief's ear) We NEED three of those for the bottom side of push bar, to complement the three sirens atop the push bar."

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
Seems like the best way to add another 150 lbs to the push bar, plus no p.i.t maneuvers or playing tag with the boys it would be to expensive .

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Honestly, I don't think it makes any difference having the 3rd speaker. I'm a career FF/Medic at a station that runs ~15+ calls/day, and we always come across ppl on every single call that don't yield, despite us having a Q2B, 200W of electronic siren, & horns blasting (On a 50 ton truck with 2 dozen Whelen lightheads and a fully-populated freedom).
People either don't care enough to move over (til they're the one waiting for us), they're 90 YO and cant see/hear for shit, or they are so wrapped up tweeting while driving and blasting music, so the extra 100 W isn't gonna make them yield anymore IMO, although i def wouldn't mind having the extra 100 W

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
Here is the build we recently completed for the Lenexa, KS Police Department!
(Could not get the embed to work)

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...ideos/1170709819630914/&show_text=1&width=560"

-Grant
That's so different than what I've ever seen from a Lenexa PD car. I worked at Olathe PD for 8 ywars & Lenexa always was a Federal Signal department with the 3 sirens. Also, Lenexa was the first in the KC area to use the Charger when Dodge reintroduced them around 2006/07. Is Lenexa back exclusively with Ford now?
Very clean install, but I'm not a fan of the fast flash disco patterns in mode 3 of the slide switch. Also, why did LPD not use the bumper mounted Whelen mini-Pioneers as wig-wag flashers via the P-flash?

Grant 911 Custom

Sep 8, 2016
Overland Park, KS
BMD224,
I could not tell you if they are exclusive to Ford. This is just the last vehicle they brought us to complete. I am sorry you did not find our slide switch three to be as cool :)! As for the Micro-Pioneers, they do flash with a p-flasher on slide switch three!
-Grant

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Just confirms my argument that modern fire engines don't need mechanical sirens.
You just took my post completely out of context by trimming it to suit your needs. There are pros and cons to everything. You can hear a mechanical siren from greater distances than an electronic siren IMO, and I def think they have a place on Fire apparatus for practical reasons (not just the "tradition" reason). Just because some ppl won't yield no matter what sirens you have (even if an air raid siren was 2 ft behind their ears) that doesn't mean that fire apparatus shouldn't have Q2B's.
As someone who doesn't drive fire apparatus, you can Monday night quarterback all you want, but many of us on the board that do can attest (from personal experience) that mechanical sirens do in fact have a place on our rigs

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
As someone who doesn't drive fire apparatus, you can Monday night quarterback all you want, but many of us on the board that do can attest (from personal experience) that mechanical sirens do in fact have a place on our rigs

But if I did, and the truck had an electronic and a mechanical, you don't even have to guess which siren I would use.:)

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
But if I did, and the truck had an electronic and a mechanical, you don't even have to guess which siren I would use.:)
My opinion about the use of electro mechanical vs. electronic siren is that of the sirens I have in my collection the B&M's overpower any of my electronic sirens.
With overpower I mean that they are louder and you "barely" hear the electronic ones.
My favorite sirens are the B&M S8B and SC8B.
Among my electronic sirens are the Federal SS2000, PA300 and many others.
The electronic sirens advantage is that you have some different sounds to chose from but you will have a better penetration into a vehicle in front of you with an electro mechanical siren.

Michael

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.