Mark X siren help

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
Morning,

I was digging around and came across couple sirens in an old cabinet. I have seen before or google'd all them except the "Mark X" one. What would this normally go in??

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoOct03125124.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoOct03125052.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoOct03125144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FCV96

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
emtmike said:
made by sp, markx or mark 10, youtube it, same company made mark VI VII, i believe they were called scientific prototypes

OMG!! I youtube'd it and that thing sounds so different than anything we have in DC. I gotta get this put into my crusier as a second siren!

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
SP sirens were primarily used in New York City by the PD and EMS back in the 70's into the early 80's. I believe that some of the Signal Stat sirens of that era were actually manufactured by SP.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
Does any one have any instructions/install manual or pinout guide on this?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I think I have some pin out info on the Mark VII's. My guess would be that the harness would be the same. Let me see what I can dig up.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
WS224 said:
I think I have some pin out info on the Mark VII's. My guess would be that the harness would be the same. Let me see what I can dig up.

Great, thanks! It doesn't have the harness on the back so it looks like I will have to put something together

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Black Hoe said:
SP sirens were primarily used in New York City by the PD and EMS back in the 70's into the early 80's. I believe that some of the Signal Stat sirens of that era were actually manufactured by SP.

The NYPD began using Signal-Stat sirens when they switched from mechanical sirens to electronic sirens for the new blue and white scheme in the 1973 model year. From this point to the late 70's each model number in the product line 1-10 had it's own unique sound- pitch, speed, etc, and the model numbers tended to correspond to the type of vehicle they were installed in- pct RMP, Highway Patrol RMP, ESU REP, if one recognized the difference in sirens, one could tell who was coming.

In -'77 or '78, they standardized on the 'Stat 7' for precinct RMPs (patrol cars). In the early to mid 80s, Scientific Prototype, a company located in Harlem took over production, I guess they were licensed to, and rebranded the model nonmenclature to the "Mark" series, with the MARK 7.

The Stat 10/MARK 10 was simply a combination siren and switch unit that I don't recall was ever used in precinct RMPs but was possibly used in ESU REPS. I know Yankee also started producing the same sirens at some point later, maybe Dietz did too. Scientific Prototype retooled to digital technology to meet NYPD-spec for the 1990 vehicle model year but were rejected in favor of the FedSig PA300, so losing their largest and primary account in the NYPD, they went out of business not long after.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
dcsru said:
Great, thanks! It doesn't have the harness on the back so it looks like I will have to put something together

Just saw your reply. I will go through some email and documents tonight.

While we are on the subject, I have a Mark VII, but it is not the NYPD version. The siren button operates like a standard tap two or 5 second yelp button. It does not instant on or off. Anyone know how to convert it?

OR.........

My Mark VII is NOS. Never been installed. I would trade it for a good condition version X.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
This is for the Mark VII - I would think they would keep the harnesses the same, but not sure.

Pin 1 - Red Battery +

Pin 2 - Black Battery -

Pin 3 - White Single Speaker

Pin 4 - White Single Speaker

Pin 5 - Yellow Remote Switch For Yelp

Pin 6 - Blue Horn Relay

Pin 7 - Gray Horn Ring

Pin 8 - Green - Radio Re-Broadcast

Pin 9 - Green - Radio Re-Broadcast

Pin 10 - Orange - Aux B+ Ignition

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
WS224 said:
While we are on the subject, I have a Mark VII, but it is not the NYPD version. The siren button operates like a standard tap two or 5 second yelp button. It does not instant on or off. Anyone know how to convert it?

The timed-yelp was the standard configuration, the momentary yelp was NYPD-spec. You have to cut a resistor or diode on the board to obtain the momentary yelp, it's been too long for me to remember where and which one it is.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
Lots of great info!! I am gonna test her out then try to find a spot to mount it where the MDT won't be getting in the way.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
CHIEFOPS said:
.......The Stat 10/MARK 10 was simply a combination siren and switch unit that I don't recall was ever used in precinct RMPs but was possibly used in ESU REPS......

Actually, the 1976 or 1977 model year Pontiac LeMans Enforcer RMPs had a compact Signal-Stat 10 style toggle-switch siren model mounted into the am/fm radio cut-out of the dashboard, I don't know exactly what model # it was.

Ghost1141

Apr 14, 2016
Kentucky
Morning,

I was digging around and came across couple sirens in an old cabinet. I have seen before or google'd all them except the "Mark X" one. What would this normally go in??

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoOct03125124.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoOct03125052.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoOct03125144.jpg
I know your post is old, but any chance you still have that mark x and ready to let it go?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I'd love to have that Smith & Wesson Magnum V. It's the earlier version with the deep slow rising wail and yelp tones. The early Smith & Wesson Magnum series sirens sound very close to the late 1960s Federal Director and Interceptor sirens.

Wackjob

Sep 6, 2016
Stroudsburg, Pa
Hi gang and thanks for all the information. I notice there are two slide switches inside on the circuit board. One I would imagine is for the 50 watt / 100 watt out put. Any idea what the other small slide switch is ???

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
Hi gang and thanks for all the information. I notice there are two slide switches inside on the circuit board. One I would imagine is for the 50 watt / 100 watt out put. Any idea what the other small slide switch is ???

There are three slide switches on the Mark VII PC board:

Switch at the rear of the board is 58/100 W.

Switch at the front left (directly behind the function selector) is a three-position slide that disables either the wail or hi-lo tones. Center is normal operation.

Switch at the font right is horn ring polarity.

MtnMan's post referred to the Mark VII siren, but I'd like to think that it and the Mark X are similar. (Posted this here as well in case anyone looking for the info finds this post and not the other one.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.