Mikes Lights Tri Color Bar

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Phoenix_Rising said:
Whoa...hope its the way the camera took the pic, that red is uber-pink

That's the way it really was. Just pink. :eek: What you see in the picture is not a camera deficiency, it's the color the lightheads actually showed.

At the moment, it's just like a slot machine game when the bar is switched on. You never know what it will do.

And yes, sending it back would be really annoying.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Pretty sure it's the 6-pin-connector between controller and bar...

Loose contact maybe.

Hope it's just that easy to fix :)

# Edit: just as I suspected, it was. The Yellow wire's the little bastard ;-)image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
My soldering iron did its job, joint fixed, bar working :)

So I hope I can provide you tomorrow with my video review, just as promised.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
I was able to finish a first (video-)review this morning and posted it in the Equipment Review section already, guess it should be visible throughout the day (may take a while since that part of the forum is moderated).

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Edit: see following post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Surprise, surprise... I guess my Taurus just discovered that I'll shortly be heading to California!

At least that's my explanation why it recently started with a low-power steady burn red in one of the pods. ;)

Let's wait what the factory says... might be either a connection problem or a defective pod; dealer and manufacturer are currently trying to figure it out. Meanwhile I have to cut off the current entry when the bar is not in use so as not to drive around with that unwanted cruise light...

Taurus_Red_SteadyBurn.jpg

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Quickstep80 said:
Surprise, surprise... I guess my Taurus just discovered that I'll shortly be heading to California!

At least that's my explanation why it recently started with a low-power steady burn red in one of the pods. ;)

Let's wait what the factory says... might be either a connection problem or a defective pod; dealer and manufacturer are currently trying to figure it out. Meanwhile I have to cut off the current entry when the bar is not in use so as not to drive around with that unwanted cruise light...

It's not an issue, it's an unexpected feature!

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
The false economy of "economical" emergency lighting.

I don't get it. Folks will spend half what a decent, quality lightbar from a known and established would cost to gamble on an unknown, and risk throwing the money away. While I can appreciate the logic, I'd rather get a better product at a higher cost. I don't want an "import special" bar that has been re-branded by every other internet dealer.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
C2Installs said:
The false economy of "economical" emergency lighting.

I don't get it. Folks will spend half what a decent, quality lightbar from a known and established would cost to gamble on an unknown, and risk throwing the money away. While I can appreciate the logic, I'd rather get a better product at a higher cost. I don't want an "import special" bar that has been re-branded by every other internet dealer.

but there is stuff that are half the price that DOES last.

This obviously may not be one.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
I totally understand your point, C2Installs, and usually I also act that way. However some years ago - there was no dual color beacon out on the market back then - after a long search an Asian "no name"-company finally built such a light according to my specs. The product still works brilliant, not a single issue, very reliable, withstood any weather and temperature condition. A brand name product couldn't have performed any better.

Now I've decided to upgrade to a minibar and altough multicolor options have become quite popular over the past years, there was no product that seemed to meet my requirements. If, besides, I had spent even twice as much for such a bar, I'm sure my CFO (= wife :p ) might run amok. :D

All in all I've been using mostly stuff from FedSig, Whelen and Axixtech over the years and those are truly reliable brands. I hope those issue with the Taurus will be an exception... :(

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Since I've had some time this morning, I tried to figure out what's going wrong with that pod. And meanwhile I'm sure moisture was causing the malfunction.

I removed the pod and found out that there was some humidity in the bar, maybe causing some jumper on the circuit board. As far as I could I tried to dry the unit, which made that steady burn red fade until it was totally gone.

In the end that's a bit annoying because there was no heavy rain or whatever the bar could have been exposed to. Just some light snowfall, a bit of drizzle, and most of the time the car is even parked in a garage, totally protected from wind and weather. But even if not, from my point of view such a lightbar just has to be sufficiently sealed as it needs to work even under worst conditions as well.

As I said, I’ll see how things develop, but in the end there should be a long-term solution to protect the boards from any effects caused by moisture or other foreign matter.

But with all that said, I almost do hear those voices shouting "no-name crap, what would you expect". On the other hand, a few years ago we had some Federal Signal VAMA P8000 strobe bars on two ALS ambulance units and experienced a very similar problem with persistant water ingress. Same recently heard about many Intav Selecta/Alcyone LED bars. So sometimes even a brand name product can perfectly flop.

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
After watching the video, I'm not impressed with the light output or the flash patterns. Also, the quality control issues seem a bit obnoxious as well. The bar in your rear window (did you say it was an Axixtech?) seems to outperform it by leaps and bounds.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
uniden278 said:
The bar in your rear window (did you say it was an Axixtech?) seems to outperform it by leaps and bounds.

That's an Axixtech Commander, right.

uniden said:
After watching the video, I'm not impressed with the light output or the flash patterns.
That's quite hard to compare for several reasons: a video can barely present reality (especially when it comes to lighting and such), and besides the Axixtech stick has LIN lightheads, the Taurus TIRs. Last, not least, that video I've uploaded with my first quick review was quickly shot without proper camera settings and so on (I'm working in the film business, so normally it's not my style just to use an ordinary camcorder and press REC :haha: ).

What I can say is that the Axixtech Commander performs really well. Never had a single issue with the stick. I like the fact that it can be used for emergency response as well as for traffic direction.

I will definitely need to see the Taurus and the Axixtech lights together under different conditions to give some detailed review. But as I said, at least the Commander has some bonus for no technical malfunction whatsoever. :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidey1234

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.