Mobile antenna on a portable radio

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Quick question. Is it safe to use a mobile antenna on a portable radio? I have perfect reception if I step off my front porch, but the second I go in my house, my portable loses signal. So, I thought of mounting a 1/2 wave mobile antenna to the front apex of my house and run the cable inside. I know you can get a cable with the proper connector to fit my portable. I just don't know if it's safe to do so. Obviously, I know to disconnect it if there's a storm coming through. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Quick question. Is it safe to use a mobile antenna on a portable radio? I have perfect reception if I step off my front porch, but the second I go in my house, my portable loses signal. So, I thought of mounting a 1/2 wave mobile antenna to the front apex of my house and run the cable inside. I know you can get a cable with the proper connector to fit my portable. I just don't know if it's safe to do so. Obviously, I know to disconnect it if there's a storm coming through. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
People do it all the time in vehicles as well as homes, etc. If you poke around the radio forums, you'll find plenty of discussions on this. I've got a 1/4 wave antenna on my truck set up this way for use with one of my portables.

Just a word of caution: When you attach the adapter to the radio, and then the coax to the adapter, take some precautions so that the coax doesn't place undue stress or pull on the radio's antenna connection. Thinner cable near the radio is a good idea, too.

Keep your coax run as short as possible to prevent loss of transmit power. I am sure you will find that a quarter wave antenna will work just as well as a 1/2 or 5/8 wave one on your house.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I believe Steve is saying that line loss is a factor in Xmit and reception.

I thought of doing this with my HH, but using an SMA to BNC adaptor (for quick connect/ disconnect) would introduce a point for water ingress to the radio.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
not only that but for every connector you loose .03db of rx/tx

alot of screwing and unscrewing of connectors will also ruin the radio "over time" may in vest in a scanner or put a mobile permanently in your house....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.