Moisture in Apollos

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Last year I installed 4 Apollo's on the rear of a Tahoe PPV. They replaced some Rontan lights that had become water logged and burnt out. Since then, there has been small amounts of moisture in the Apollos. Well, I was informed the other day that one had stopped working and they all had moisture in them. When I replaced 2 tonight, those 2 had standing water in them. The other 2 have what I'd consider excessive moisture in them. So my question is, what is the normal acceptable amount of moisture in the Apollo's? This is upsetting, since that's what happened to the lights they replaced. Any words of insight? The 2 replaced are going to be sent back. Thanks!!

2016-02-10 22.48.20.jpg 2016-02-10 22.49.28.jpg

2016-02-10 22.49.55.jpg
2016-02-10 22.50.18.jpg

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
So far the Apollo's I have mounted to the body of customer vehicles have been fine. However, I did have a similar situation with some T6's, a couple years ago, that were on the front push bumper and mounted to a rear license plate bracket on a vehicle. I can see the gasket is not straight across along the top. I think what has happened is the light, which is shown by the gasket deforming, was put on to tight. When this happens the light squishes the gasket down to the point that the small channel that's built into the gasket is cut off. The channel is important because it allows the breather on the back of the light to regulate with the outside air. You want the light head to be snug but not so tight that the gasket starts deforming or you are going to end up with the same issue every time.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I didn't think I had the light tightened down too much. I'll go back and recheck though. I thought I left it loose enough for the gortex breather to function, but maybe I didn't. Thanks!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonClampitt

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.