MOTO Digital Experts help me out.

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
Have a few questions.

The county sheriff just went to digital using motorola trbo radios and the Chief has assigned me to locate two radios that will allow our officers to communicate with them.

First question: We currently have all KEnwood on our dept. They are digital capable (TK-5210). Is it the same digital or does moto do they're own thing?

DO we have to purchase TRBO radios or is any moto radio (xts or XPR series) compatible as long as they are digital?

Where is the best place to purchase these radios used and at reasonable price. I know ebay is an option but I would like to avoid if possible.

May 22, 2010
New York City
kenwood will not work........

you need a trbo compliant radio

(dmr)

trbo = xpr or sl series ...... now vertex or hytera make some trbo complaint models that may work,but it depends on how the codeplugs are set up.

my advice is buy them from where they buy them from so its set up correctly........

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
911 said:

(dmr)

trbo = xpr or sl series ...... now vertex or hytera make some trbo complaint models that may work,but it depends on how the codeplugs are set up.

my advice is buy them from where they buy them from so its set up correctly........

THey have to be TRBO right, XTS 3000 or 500 will not work correct. We were trying to avoid 7-900 a radio just to talk to the S.O.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
The low end XPR6100 portable should work for you, no display ,basic voice in analog or digital.

I sell these all day for $475 VHF or $495 UHF.No GPS integrated, no frills voice only radio with 32 channels.

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
911 said:

(dmr)

I agree with 911 on this, would probably get them from same place they got theirs. If they are using the XPR series, I would go with the XPR series as well (IMO). The XPR is capable of DMR digital, and analog operation. So you could use it on their system, and your system if you currently are using analog.

Hope this helps.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Sux for you that the sheriff drinks the moto kool-aid. If you wanna talk to them your gonna have to sacrifice some actual necessity to afford to buy a radio to talk to them. Just the way it is. Public safety needs to stick to Kenwood or if on a budget go with Icom as the two are completely compatible.

So get out the ole checkbook and buy a couple portables from whoever the sheriff buys from.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Squad-6 said:
Sux for you that the sheriff drinks the moto kool-aid. If you wanna talk to them your gonna have to sacrifice some actual necessity to afford to buy a radio to talk to them. Just the way it is. Public safety needs to stick to Kenwood or if on a budget go with Icom as the two are completely compatible.

So get out the ole checkbook and buy a couple portables from whoever the sheriff buys from.

Compatible? At the base level of DMR, they are all compatible (tho Kenwood and Icom do not make a DMR radio at the moment) Vertex/Standard, Hytera and others are compatible with Motorola's DMR (TRBO) radio. Same goes in the P25 world, Kenwood, Icom, Vertex, Standard, Motorola, Harris, Thales are all compatible at the specifications level.

What is not compatible are the bells and whistles of the specific radios, and that goes for Icom and Kenwood using NXDN, as they do not share some of the same "extras" and thus "are not compatible."

Not trying to come off as a Motorola fan boy, just trying to help un-muddy the waters a little bit when the word "compatible" is thrown around.

As for the OP, your best bet as has already been said is go with the MotoTRBO gear to ensure that the options match those of the radios the Sheriff's

Department has.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
SlickTop Solutions said:
Compatible? At the base level of DMR, they are all compatible (tho Kenwood and Icom do not make a DMR radio at the moment) Vertex/Standard, Hytera and others are compatible with Motorola's DMR (TRBO) radio. Same goes in the P25 world, Kenwood, Icom, Vertex, Standard, Motorola, Harris, Thales are all compatible at the specifications level.

What is not compatible are the bells and whistles of the specific radios, and that goes for Icom and Kenwood using NXDN, as they do not share some of the same "extras" and thus "are not compatible."

Not trying to come off as a Motorola fan boy, just trying to help un-muddy the waters a little bit when the word "compatible" is thrown around.

As for the OP, your best bet as has already been said is go with the MotoTRBO gear to ensure that the options match those of the radios the Sheriff's

Department has.

Moto Fanboy

Moto Fanboy

Moto Fanboy

Moto Fanboy

Moto Fanboy

Moto Fanboy

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
SlickTop Solutions said:
And...what's your point

:D :D:D

Having fun right back...Sheesh.

awww maaaannnn,sheeeesh.

Motorola just released the lower tier TRBO digital portables, XPR3300 series.About time!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.